+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    This might be a slight derail, but AmyEL, I noticed you said you were EBF. I was just wondering how much you generally give per feed and in total per day?

Just curious as i am expressing to feed my almost 12 week old (inverted nipples), and i have just kind of muddled through to figure out how much baby wants, and how often, and wondered how this compares with what other people do.

I generally give feeds of 120ml about every 2 hrs during the day, or longer between feeds if baby doesn't seem hungry or is asleep etc. We don't have a set routine, and I just try to take his cues. I feed him up before bed, and he is a good night time sleeper, but not so good during the day.
    She may mean exclusively breast feeding.
    There is a method you can use to work out how much to give, based on weight, but I did find it easier just to follow bub's cues as to how much they wanted. They may want more on feed compared to the next.

ETA http://www.fourfriends.com/cgi-bin/milk.pl
    That's the method that I mentioned
    Last edited by atomicmama; 05-01-2015 at 09:50.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I would say that it's still celebrating breastfeeding. To me, celebrating breastfeeding is encouraging someone's attempts to make breastfeeding work for them and their situation. We all have different experiences and expectations with it.
    I don't think this is the thread to make clear your disagreement with someone's methods. Offer some advice, give the OP some support and leave it at that.
    I did. My first post gave my advice. I just don't feel that encouraging someone to limit breastfeeds is celebrating bf because it sounds like a bad idea when it's implied that doing so is hard on the baby and may impact negatively on breastfeeding overall. There's a reason infants breastfeed so often several, in fact. Limiting time at the breast can be detrimental to the breastfeeding relationship.

Breastfeeding isn't always easy, it isn't always convenient as I'm sure you know. Tizzie Hall is well known for dubious advice in many areas. Each to their own. This isn't in a section where we can't say that and I know her breastfeeding advice has been widely criticised by people far more educated in lactation than I am.

If it's fine for people to endorse Tizzie's methods here, then the other side of the equation is a valid response and the OP can decide to do whatever she sees fit with any advice given.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks redlipsandpearls. Of course. Sorry, misunderstood the acronym EBF - ignore me AmyEL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I did. My first post gave my advice. I just don't feel that encouraging someone to limit breastfeeds is celebrating bf because it sounds like a bad idea when it's implied that doing so is hard on the baby and may impact negatively on breastfeeding overall. There's a reason infants breastfeed so often several, in fact. Limiting time at the breast can be detrimental to the breastfeeding relationship.

Breastfeeding isn't always easy, it isn't always convenient as I'm sure you know. Tizzie Hall is well known for dubious advice in many areas. Each to their own. This isn't in a section where we can't say that and I know her breastfeeding advice has been widely criticised by people far more educated in lactation than I am.

If it's fine for people to endorse Tizzie's methods here, then the other side of the equation is a valid response and the OP can decide to do whatever she sees fit with any advice given.
    On the flip side, it may make breastfeeding a much more positive experience for the mother. Going three hours between breastfeeds isn't likely to be detrimental, I know dd2 thrived on it. It was the constant feeding that came after that was the end of our breastfeeding journey.

The reason that Tizzie Hall was endorsed was because the OP stated that she follows SOS, so people were giving advice based on their experience with that routine. You may not like it, but that's okay because it's not your baby.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-01-2015),AmyEL  (05-01-2015),Soon2be4  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    On the flip side, it may make breastfeeding a much more positive experience for the mother. Going three hours between breastfeeds isn't likely to be detrimental, I know dd2 thrived on it. It was the constant feeding that came after that was the end of our breastfeeding journey.

The reason that Tizzie Hall was endorsed was because the OP stated that she follows SOS, so people were giving advice based on their experience with that routine. You may not like it, but that's okay because it's not your baby.
    It might make it more positive, sure. Or it might not. Everyone has a different storage capacity, for starters, so some women need to feed more often to ensure bub is getting enough and that they continue to produce enough. Also, breastmilk is digested rapidly, usually within 2 hours, so 2 hourly feeds are very normal for infants. So delaying feeds may have a negative impact. Neither you or I can say for sure what impact this will or won't have on the OP should she decide to restrict her breastfeeding. I don't see it as supportive to not point all that info out. As I said, the OP can do what she likes with the info provided but I don't apologise for putting it out there. If the OP already knew all that, well and good. Someone else who finds the thread and reads it might learn something that helps them.
    I know I haven't been around the hub much lately but unless the rules have changed significantly, it's pretty ok to have a differing point of view and other info and to offer that up for consideration provided it's not harmful or abusive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-01-2015),LoveLivesHere  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just so we're clear I'm not about to starve my DD... She is gaining weight very well & is a happy baby... I'm going to play it by ear & see how 'we' go extending the space between feeds... I believe sleeping properly is a big part of a babies development so I am simply trying to improve that for her... If you don't agree so be it, as I said before this parenting style suits my family.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

Not exactly. The OP said she was following SOS and wanted to push out the feeds, she was asking 'how' to do that, not 'if' she should do it.

If someone went into a thread where a parent said from the outset, I'm following The no cry sleep solution and I'm having trouble doing xyz, can someone help me with that and someone came in and said, oh don't bother with that, just let bub cry, because of abc reason the 'advice' would be completely irrelevant to the OP.

So in this case, the OP didn't ask if she should push out the feeds, so it's not at all productive to suggest not to - it's done purely so that those who disagree can get on their soap box - it doesn't help the OP in any way shape or form.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (05-01-2015),MsViking  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Not exactly. The OP said she was following SOS and wanted to push out the feeds, she was asking 'how' to do that, not 'if' she should do it.

If someone went into a thread where a parent said from the outset, I'm following The no cry sleep solution and I'm having trouble doing xyz, can someone help me with that and someone came in and said, oh don't bother with that, just let bub cry, because of abc reason the 'advice' would be completely irrelevant to the OP.

So in this case, the OP didn't ask if she should push out the feeds, so it's not at all productive to suggest not to - it's done purely so that those who disagree can get on their soap box - it doesn't help the OP in any way shape or form.
    Thank you for understanding my query :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

Oh ffs. I didn't tell her not to. Go back and read. I offered advice, I pointed out that Tizzie's bf advice is renowned for being poor (not her other methods or anything else about her advice) and mentioned some possible ramifications of trying to stretch the time between breastfeeds for a 12 week old baby that the OP or anyone in the same boat might like to consider.
    I repeatedly have said the OP can do what she likes with this info. I agreed with one other poster who queried whether such a method was "celebrating breastfeeding" and also pointed out that someone else may read this thread at some point and gain some info from it. So no, I don't agree that offering different perspectives and information is "not at all productive". It's also hardly soapboxing to offer said info. I'm a bit baffled at the level of defensiveness.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't referring to you specifically, just the general cumulative tone to posts - it was of "her advice isn't correct, your baby will be dehydrated, it's not normal at that age etc.