+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Amy EL! My lil miss is going about 3 hrs between feeds, sometimes only 2.5, and sleeps long periods overnight (last week 12 hrs- no idea how that happened), but as soon as she went longer and thus had one less feed during the day she woke much more frequently overnight.
    Although I don't follow SOS, I have found that's he is mostly predictable during the day. I think there is a growth spurt about now, as well as a big wonder week, so maybe that is influencing frequency of feeds? Just thoughts, but sounds like you are doing well!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to raindropsonroses For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to say good luck OP. If you need routine in your family I really hope you can stretch her feeds. VP had some good advice there. I think you could also tweak the schedules to suit your bub. Just try and keep a journal/log of feelings and sleeping and perhaps you can find a routine that's a cross between the one in the book and her natural rhythms.

As a side note, can we all just accept that some families need routines and others don't. SOS works for some babies and for others it doesn't.

If someone asks, I'm considering using SOS, but I'm not sure it is right for my family or will work with my bub, what do you advise, then by all means talk it out - advise what you think they should do and why, but if someone says they are or want to use it, unless you can offer advice, don't tell them they shouldn't - we are all adults who can make out own decisions, if someone has decided to use it, don't tell them they shouldn't. I'm sure co-sleepers don't like being told to put their baby in their own bed or room, formula feeders don't like being told they should breastfeed, no cry parents don't want to be told to let their bub cry it out, BLW'ers don't want to be told to do purees.... Catch my drift?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-01-2015),Chippa  (05-01-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Amy, I loosely followed SOS for my bubs, but altered it to suit their needs. I also found personally that if I tried to stretch out feeds too long in the day time, bub woke more at night. My babies tended to do 3 - 3.5 ish hourly feeds in the morning, and then more like 2.5-3 hourly feeds in the afternoon, then went 12 hours overnight. I would make sure that it was a good, full feed - offer both breasts, give a little break and a burp or nappy change and then offer more, etc - I found that if they have a good, full feeding, they tend to go a little further in between feeds. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Also can I just ask why you want to stretch them out? Is it so bub can sleep longer? If so could you do feed, play, feed, sleep? I do that at the moment and although I mostly end up feeding to sleep, you could try and make sure she is awake at the end of the feed then follow the SOS settling advice.

DS will on a good day feed at 6:30/7, play, feed at 8:45/9, sleep at 9/9:15, once awake feed, play, feed 20 minutes before his scheduled sleep (2hours after waking from 1st nap), then put to sleep. So he's essentially on a 2-3 hour feed schedule but still sleeps like the SOS routines recommend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Also can I just ask why you want to stretch them out? Is it so bub can sleep longer? If so could you do feed, play, feed, sleep? I do that at the moment and although I mostly end up feeding to sleep, you could try and make sure she is awake at the end of the feed then follow the SOS settling advice.

DS will on a good day feed at 6:30/7, play, feed at 8:45/9, sleep at 9/9:15, once awake feed, play, feed 20 minutes before his scheduled sleep (2hours after waking from 1st nap), then put to sleep. So he's essentially on a 2-3 hour feed schedule but still sleeps like the SOS routines recommend.
    Yes to sleep better, she tends to wake at 45mins and we have Buckley's chance of getting her back to sleep as she is hungry... My have tried to feed her again before putting her down but 9/10 times she doesn't want any... So trying something different! See if it works ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just because it's not breastfeeding Atropos or BTMAC style doesn't mean it's not worthy of a little respect ... Celebration and freedom from snide comments... (Not saying you did that).
    It was the bit about swaddling baby and holding off with the first time being the hardest that struck me. Is this what the book says? Because avoiding breastfeeds by swaddling a baby and holding off, something described as hard, implies the swaddled baby isn't terribly happy about the situation, iykwim? That's the bit I was referring to about not being celebratory. Sorry but it isn't. I'm not going to wade through old posts but from memory I thought you once agreed that Tizzie's bf advice was pretty dodgy, but I may be wrong. All I have read of hers on the subject is generally contradictory to accepted breastfeeding recommendations.

Sorry if I did come off as snide OP- certainly wasn't my intention!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    Yes to sleep better, she tends to wake at 45mins and we have Buckley's chance of getting her back to sleep as she is hungry... My have tried to feed her again before putting her down but 9/10 times she doesn't want any... So trying something different! See if it works ;-)
    Babies reach a developmental stage where they have a hard time sleeping through or resettling past their first sleep cycle (usually 45 minutes). I tried absolutely everything to get DS past the first cycle, it rarely worked. Around 6 months he started sleeping past 45 minutes on his own again. That may be what is going on with her and you'll just have to ride it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, how did last night go?

I've had two very different babies. My first was a legendary night sleeper by 12 weeks (12-13hrs straight, never regressed) but needed her 1.5-2 hourly day feeds and would only catnap 15-20 mins three times a day, plus a marathon 2+ hour feeding session before bedtime. Even trying to make her wait an extra 10 minutes to feed resulted in her in choking hysterics.

My son on the other hand was much better at day napping, by 12 weeks was starting to go longer than 2 hours for some feeds but his night sleeps didn't start to get consistently better until (when he was older, sorry can't recall exactly) I stretched him out to 3.5-4 hours between feeds. It was like he needed to learn that he could go longer between feeds to then go longer between night feeds.

In your situation, I would just watch the nights. If going longer between feeds doesn't result in an increase in nightvwakings then stick to it. If nights get worse, then I'd go back to frequent feeds and adjust a routine around them such as feed-play-feed-sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Babies reach a developmental stage where they have a hard time sleeping through or resettling past their first sleep cycle (usually 45 minutes). I tried absolutely everything to get DS past the first cycle, it rarely worked. Around 6 months he started sleeping past 45 minutes on his own again. That may be what is going on with her and you'll just have to ride it out.
    Yes we had the same issue with DS, except his sleep cycle was 30 mins, we patted & shushed him at about the 26 minute mark to help him get through to next sleep cycle religiously for about 3 weeks, he could eventually do it on his own, this was about 4 months... Since he's only 23 months I can't do that with DD (leave him while I settle her) so am trying to eliminate hunger waking her at that point to give her the best chance I can to learn to sleep thru to next cycle on her own, if this doesn't help I'll wait it out :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for those that gave me genuine supportive advise it's much appreciated :-)

I have just finished feeding DD, she slept till 5:30 so same waking time as she has been feeding her 2hrly :-) DH is home till Wednesday so I'm going try 3hrly for next couple of days while he is here to help & see how we go... If DD is ok with it, I'll increase to 4hrly in a few weeks when he's home again (works FIFO)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast