+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post

I just think when discussing something as controversial as SOS you have to expect emotive responses. If you don't want to see them - then go to the appropriate section.
    !
    Someone is asking for breastfeeding advice in the... Breastfeeding Section. It doesn't mean they shouldn't get respectful advice. Take out the SOS bit as it's not really the central issue. Plenty of mums from all denominations want to stretch feeds out. What advice would you offer them?

I would say:
    - try and feed from both boobs if possible. Always try to drain one boob fully then offer the second breast. Use a wet facewasher to keep bub awake if bub is falling asleep during a feed. A baby that takes a bigger feed will have longer between feeds.
    - does bub have gas? Burping regularly may help. If bub has a build up of gas then bub will take smaller feeds and hence feed more often.
    - try and distract bub after a feed: go for a walk outside, play in front of the mirror. Even if you stretch bub a little each day that's ok.
    - at the 2 hour mark check bubs signs: could bub be after comfort instead of a feed? If so would offering a cuddle help? Or is bub actually tired and a sleep may help. Many people (myself included in the early days) confuse tired signs for hunger signs.
    - above all if there is an emotional cry and bub is really hungry then feed bub even if it is earlier than the scheduled feed in any routine. Just offer a top up at the scheduled feed time to keep the routine on track.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-01-2015 at 21:12.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015),AmyEL  (04-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh come on, girls...
    The OP actually said she uses sos and asked specifically for VP's input.

Celebrating breastfeeding isn't just limited to demand feeding, nor is it limited to scheduled feeding. It also doesn't stipulate that you must bw anti sos to breastfeed. I'm sure we can all be polite with our responses and respectful of someone's choice to do things differently.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015),AmyEL  (04-01-2015),btmacxxx  (04-01-2015),Chippa  (05-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (05-01-2015),VicPark  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Now, to answer the OP.
    You may find that by stretching feeds during the day, bub will wake more at night. So that's something to think about.
    I think 2 hourly during the day is great at that age, it will space out as bub gets older and starts solids.

Good luck

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015),misskittyfantastico  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyhow, back to the topic at hand! I've always subscribed to a "gentle" parenting style because that's what has worked for me and my family but in terms of stretching the time between feeds, increasing the time in smaller increments can help, as can block feeding because bub is getting more of the filling hind milk.
    That said, some babes just need to feed more frequently than others and it really can be a developmental thing - mine all stretched to 3-4 hours between feeds after they were about 6 months.
    Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Someone is asking for breastfeeding advice in the... Breastfeeding Section. It doesn't mean they shouldn't get respectful advice. Take out the SOS bit as it's not really the central issue. Plenty of mums from all denominations want to stretch feeds out. What advice would you offer them?

I would say:
    - try and feed from both boobs if possible. Always try to drain one boob fully then offer the second breast. Use a wet facewasher to keep bub awake if bub is falling asleep during a feed. A baby that takes a bigger feed will have longer between feeds.
    - does bub have gas? Burping regularly may help. If bub has a build up of gas then bub will take smaller feeds and hence feed more often.
    - try and distract bub at the 2 hour mark: go for a walk outside, play in front of the mirror. Even if you stretch bub a little each day that's ok.
    - at the 2 hour mark check bubs signs: could bub be after comfort instead of a feed? If so would offering a cuddle help? Or is bub actually tired and a sleep may help. Many people (myself included in the early days) confuse tired signs for hunger signs.
    - above all if there is an emotional cry and bub is really hungry then feed bub even if it is earlier than the scheduled feed in any routine. Just offer a top up at the scheduled feed time to keep the routine on track.
    I do agree with all of your tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gee sucked back in - need to sleep VP

There was nothing snide about my post - it was genuine shock!

I would say SOS is not in the spirit of this section.
    Just because I follow SOS does not mean I shouldn't be able to 'celebrate breastfeeding' I asked a question regarding breastfeeding my child, at no point did I mention introducing formula (heaven forbid) to help my DD to feel fuller to last longer, I was asking advice from people who had been in my situation hence the reason I chose this area, what I thought was I would get more support for my breastfeeding & continued breastfeeding... Not be slammed for my parenting style, which for your information suits my family... Introducing routine into my household is something I believe in, so just because you don't believe in that style of parenting doesn't mean it's against the spirit of this section... I'm breastfeeding my DD aren't I? Isn't that what this section is about? To encourage breastfeeding not judge them? Whether someone demand feeds or routine feeds shouldn't matter??

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015),atomicmama  (04-01-2015),Soon2be4  (05-01-2015),VicPark  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I do agree with all of your tips
    For a moment there I thought you said you agreed with all of my t!ts!
    - Time for bed for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @VicPark 😊 My secret shame is a bit of H&A but Neighbours yeesh!
    !
    - sorry for the detail OP I just re-read this bit and had to respond.

Wtf! Shame? They are 2 great shows! Stand tall and stand proud for your support of such fine Australian television. That is all. Night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you mean you're following the routine at night? Which parts?
    What's your day routine like? Eat sleep play?

How's the breastfeeding going? Do you feed one breast or two at a time? How is bubs weight gain?

Sorry for the q's... They will help me advise on a way forward...
    Thanks for responding, I seemed out your advice as I know you believe in SOS & are a breastfeeding mum.

To answer your questions...
    What do you mean you're following the routine at night? Which parts?
    What's your day routine like? Eat sleep play? We pretty much follow from the last nap till bedtime... So I put her down for her last nap at 4:30 & get her up at 5:15 for a bath then follow times from there... The rest of the naps are all over the place...we do Feed, play, sleep at the moment & she sleeps about 45mins, 1.5hrs if we are lucky to settle her in between.

How's the breastfeeding going? Going great no dramas ;-) plenty of milk

Do you feed one breast or two at a time? One at a time, I offer the otherside if she still seems hungry but she rarely takes anymore.

How is bubs weight gain?
    Roughly 250gms per week :-)

I managed to hold her off today & get 3hrly feeding done, will see if she wakes more tonight... She had probably 1 & 1/2 boobs before bed & was asleep within 5 mins of me putting get down :-) hopefully it will be easier to get her to 3hrs tomorrow... I will work on 4hrly once we have mastered this routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For a moment there I thought you said you agreed with all of my t!ts!
    - Time for bed for me!
    Those too.... 🍈🍈