+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pushing out feeds...

My DD (3months) still feeds 2hrly through the day... She is EBF & can go 8/9hrs over night (yes I know I should be happy with that) but I would like her to be in a better routine through the day & feeding 2hrly is interfering with that... I follow SOS fir our night time routine so would love to hear how people using this pushed out feeding (particularly those BFing) as I haven't been able to set up a day routine yet with her still feeding so frequently.
    @VicPark do you have any suggestions?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't follow SOS so I can't offer any perspective on that but I tend to think that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If she is sleeping well and you are able to predict when she will sleep enough to let you get out and do what you need to do for your sanity, it would be a shame to mess it up.

At 3 months I would expect things to start changing a bit for you with sleep and wakefulness and also your supply settling down. I don't really know what I am trying to say but I usually erred on the side of taking the lead from bub.

Maybe someone else will have some more constructive advice.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could never push out the times either. I was only lucky with my 1st that he naturally fell into a very similar routine to the book (everything was an hour earlier) - so I was able to make up a routine from that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm following SOS with my bub and TBH he was already feeding only 3 hrly when we started and is not very demanding, so it wasn't all that hard to push him out.
    My DS1 was a 2hrly feeder at 3 months and a catnapper and I found it really hard to stretch him out.
    I think you have a couple of options. The SOS routine for this age is basically 2 hrs awake time then 2 hrs sleep. So you probably could do feed, play, feed, sleep, although would have to be careful not to feed to sleep.
    Or if you want to try stretch the feeds I would start on the 6 week routine, I think from memory 3hrly feeds and then go up a routine every 2 weeks.
    The first few days will be rough, but babies will usually start taking bigger feeds.
    Or if you wanted to be a bit more gentle you could try stretching the time between feeds by 15mins, so 2hr15mins for a few days until bub is happy with that and then 2hrs 30mins etc.
    The other thing to consider is that we are all different in our breast milk storage capacity and our babies tummy size. My DS2 has no problems with just 4 feeds a day, but I think some others may need more frequent feeding, so go with your gut on what is best for your baby. That said, SOS is working brilliantly for us, so well worth a few days/ week of difficult times to get on track.
    Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Based on my one whole baby's worth of experience, if you can hold out for another month or two they should naturally start to stretch out as bub gets older. We were still feeding breastfeeding about 2 hourly until about 4 months but it's about every 3-4 hours now at 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I managed to get 3.5hrs out of her this morning & she's just gone for a sleep so should get 3 hours out of her now :-) fingers crossed it's easier tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I follow SOS routine too. I could never get my DS to go longer than 3 hours and it was usually 2 hours. It wasn't until we started solids at 4 months that he could go the 4 hrs. In saying that I usually give him a feed after solids too because he wasn't producing enough wet nappies due the heat in qld. In the book TH states to swaddle baby and try to see if you can hold them off. She says it's usually the first time that is the hardest. Sounds like you are almost there. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What do you mean you're following the routine at night? Which parts?
    What's your day routine like? Eat sleep play?

How's the breastfeeding going? Do you feed one breast or two at a time? How is bubs weight gain?

Sorry for the q's... They will help me advise on a way forward...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Two hourly is pretty normal at 12 weeks- remember, breastmilk is your baby's only source of nutrition at this age. The reason they feed so often is because they can digest it so easily. It's also important to note that breastfeeding is also the primary way your baby will seek comfort and connection with you.

Another thing to remember- Tizzie hall isn't an IBCLC- that much is evident from her bf "advice". I'd check with someone better qualified for bf advice.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (06-01-2015),btmacxxx  (04-01-2015),Busy-Bee  (04-01-2015),HappyBovinexx  (04-01-2015),LoveLivesHere  (04-01-2015),Vonnie89  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You may find too that if you push out time between feeds during the day night waking for feeds will increase