+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Zofran and breast feeding

Hi ladies. I'm wondering if anyone has taken Zofran while breast feeding. I'm pregnant with #3 and just not coping with the sickness this time around. I just saw a dr who prescribed maxalon but was a bit unsure of long term Zofran use while breast feeding. Also, have people found maxalon effective?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maxalon worked for me, I took it every day for about 7 weeks, no problems. They prescribed zofran an incase it didn't work and the dr was happy for me to take it. Many ladies here have been on either if there drugs with no problems so don't worry too much. Hope you feel better soon!

Eta sorry didn't see you were worried about bf as I wasn't - hope someone else can help with that side if it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Neither maxalon nor zofran worked for me. The only thing that has worked is prednisolone and a b6.

I'm not sure about zofran when breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

Pearlygirl - I'm glad it worked for you. Here's hoping it has an effect

Babyla - were you just taking a general b6 from the pharmacy? I remember taking restavit plus b6 last pregnancy which maybe helped slightly. If only they wouldn't make the multivitamins etc so huge!! Too hard to swallow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    Thanks ladies.

Pearlygirl - I'm glad it worked for you. Here's hoping it has an effect

Babyla - were you just taking a general b6 from the pharmacy? I remember taking restavit plus b6 last pregnancy which maybe helped slightly. If only they wouldn't make the multivitamins etc so huge!! Too hard to swallow.
    It's Pyroxin 100mg - just over the counter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Futuremamma,

From what I've been able to find, it's uncertain whether Zofran (Ondansetron) passes through breast milk. There just hasn't been enough research to day definitely yes/no. In animal tests, it has shown to not pass through which is a good sign.

Maxolon (Metoclopramide) however has been shown to pass through breast milk. I don't know if that's a concern though as it may also be safe for babies in low doses.

Your GP or OB should know best. A lot depends on your metabolism, weighing up pros/cons, etc.

All the best,
    MD (Not a medical doctor)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey hun, I took zofran in my second pregnancy (I was breastfeeding my first) without any dramas. Now have a perfectly healthy 4 month old bubba. My ob and middie were happy with me taking it both while pregnant and feeding I found feeding increased my nausea a bit so was grateful for something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took zofran while breastfeeding. From what I could work out there is no conclusive evidence of any problems and most evidence suggested it was perfectly fine (a good friend is a pharmacist and looked into it for me). Fortunately I was only feeding twice a day when I fell pregnant so I was able to generally time it just after the feeds just in case to minimise any risk. Maxolon was ineffective for me, and I've had to wean anyway as I'm struggling to remain hydrated due to being so sick. I also take pyroxin (b6) and restavit.