+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you know when your child was ready to toilet train?

Hi there,

I've spent a bit of time over the last year researching toilet training and I seem to get the same answer - wait until your child is ready. So I've waited and waited. Occasionally I try to encourage her, but she'll sit on the toilet for an hour, the wee the second she hops off!

The most alarming thing is that she doesn't even know when she needs to go - the other day she had a bath and was standing there naked waiting for me to dress her and she wee'd on the floor accidentally and got really upset.

I was fine about waiting for her to be ready, I don't let anyone put pressure on me to toilet train her, however DD1 is 3 years and 2 months old, DD2 is 18 months and we have another baby on the way, due in late April. I know I can't set time limits on toilet training, but I really don't fancy having 3 children in nappies if I can avoid it!

She doesn't want to wear undies, even the ones with Dora or Peppa Pig. I sometimes put her in the pull-ups but it doesn't seem to make a diffference. If I encourage her too much about going to the toilet she starts getting upset so I back off because I don't want it to be a negative experience. Am I being to soft? Or do I really just have to keep waiting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my dd, I just used to put her on the toilet whenever she had an accident, or if I noticed her wriggling or having a "poo face" (which she still does lol). We would sit her on the toilet every half hour to an hour to begin with, then once she began stretching it out longer we'd just make sure it was everytime before we went somewhere or came back, before each meal and before bed and bath. we started with the potty on and off at 13 months, stopped wearing nappies altogether at 2 years and it took her a full year to be mostly accident free. It was frustrating but she got there in the end. She's just 3 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try making a fuss of a friend who is in knickers and organizing play dates together? She might want to be the same as her friend

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have a ds due in April and dont fancy more than 1 in nappies at a time - its expensive! My dd1 toilet trained fairly easily during the day (from about 2) but was in pull ups at night until she was about 4 (from memory). I used to save by putting knickers on, then the pull up so if she stayed dry overnight we could re- use the pull up the next night.

We are tt dd2 now (nearly 2) during the day. She watches me and dd1 wee, and we make sure she has no nappy on during the day at home so a wee running down her legs is uncomfortable and she runs to the loo. I'd rather clean up the mess than pay for nappies! Sometimes she doesn't notice she needs to go, sometimes she just doesn't realise in time and other times she is great. We still use nappies to leave the house.

If your dd is 3 and not recognising the sensation to wee, i would maybe get her checked for a uti, other than that, positive reinforcement and encouragement (she is going to be a big girl soon and can show dd2 how to go)... etc Good luck, i wouldnt be too concerned if there is nothing medically wrong, kids all devevlop differently. Maybe try a rewards chart? You can download them online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started at 18mths with our dd. We just spent a few days with the potty in the lounge area (all tiled) and let her run nappy free. I don't know how that would work with a 3yr old though, sorry.

Maybe a reward chart with a surprise at the end? Or like Pp said take her to the toilet every 30mins, that's how they do it at the daycare my daughter attends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used smarties as a reward/bribe for DD who was almost 3. We also used a lucky dip of toys for motivation. Worked pretty well.
    DS is just 2 and we tried him over the last few days. He was great at recognizing when he wanted to go and would go in the potty but wouldn't have a bar of sitting on the toilet or wearing underwear. He then started getting upset about the whole process so we have left it. Honestly I would probably leave it for a while with your DD if she is getting upset by it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl was toilet trained just before she was 2. I would just leave the potty out and even if she just sat on it id get over excited and she would see how proud I was. We then did a sticker/reward everytime she would go and it worked really well. I would also continuously ask through out the day if she needed to go to remind her. I never got angry if she had an accident would just explain that she needed to use her toilet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jessie44 For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you know when your child was ready to toilet train?

We are training our girl now after multiple earlier tries from the age of 2! She's just turned 3 in November!

We've found instead of asking her if she needs to go to the toilet - we ask when we notice she needs to go and give her the option of "potty or toilet" then she's got a positive choice instead of answering no! And 9/10 times she needs to go, tells us she is doing wees!

We also put her on before going out/before eating, before a bath etc and every half hour or so while shopping.

We decided pull ups too draw away moisture too quickly so don't allow dd to know when she's wet herself. We pop pull-ups over her knickers when we go out. She averages 1-2 pull ups a day and we go out quite a bit, she's doing so well.

My dd is extremely constipated (due to the fear of hurting whilst doing poo) so the 5 days she's been partially wee trained - she hasn't pooed we gave regular stool softeners since day 1 and lots of fluids/fibre etc.

What may work for some mothers toilet training, may not work for you or your child. If she's not getting it, give it a weeks break and try again after that week.
    Last edited by LysnDan; 03-01-2015 at 10:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I TT DS when he turned 3 a few months ago. I gave him plenty of lead up by telling him how soon he would be wearing big boy undies instead of nappies and that he would need to do his poos and wees on the potty instead. Then one day when I knew I had a few days where we would be home the whole time I switched him. First day was completely accidents, nothing in the potty at all. I just kept telling him it was ok and accidents happen and next time try to go potty. By day 3 nearly no accidents and we used stickers as a reward. To begin with I would give myself a sticker when he saw me go to the toilet so he saw what he needed to do to get the sticker. I think it's hard unless your child is older and telling you they want to use the toilet to tell if they're ready other than having a go for a few days and seeing if it happens.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app