+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Huh?!? Oh ok.... so the fear of 20 Jihad's returning from fighting alongside IS in Syria (and involved in God knows what while over there) has nothing to do with these recent events?
    Anyone entering into australia (especially Australian citizens) will be doing so with the full knowledge of the government, and if deemed dangerous, they will be subject the laws of the country. There is no reason to fear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The media have a lot to answer for in their reporting. Don't believe all the hysteria in main****** media.
    Totally 100% agree with you! What about reports from the Australian Government website? Or from the mouth of the Prime Minister telling us that the level of threat in Australia is high and an attack is LIKELY? And then you get people who have participated alongside Islamic State terrorists in Syria returning to Australia (with little or no consequences) and you wonder why people may be fearful of them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally 100% agree with you! What about reports from the Australian Government website? Or from the mouth of the Prime Minister telling us that the level of threat in Australia is high and an attack is LIKELY? And then you get people who have participated alongside Islamic State terrorists in Syria returning to Australia (with little or no consequences) and you wonder why people may be fearful of them?
    Yeah look, Abbott says a lot of things. This is a government that imprisons children. They are reluctant (in the extreme) to let anyone into the country, even if refusing to do so breaches international treaties we are signatory to.
    If these people have been allowed to return, they have been cleared by the govt. I also doubt that they will be allowed to do as they please, unchecked by anyone.

Just as an aside, jihad literally means struggle or strive. One engaged in jihad is a mujahid- mujahideen in plural form.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yeah look, Abbott says a lot of things. This is a government that imprisons children. They are reluctant (in the extreme) to let anyone into the country, even if refusing to do so breaches international treaties we are signatory to.
    If these people have been allowed to return, they have been cleared by the govt. I also doubt that they will be allowed to do as they please, unchecked by anyone.

Just as an aside, jihad literally means struggle or strive. One engaged in jihad is a mujahid- mujahideen in plural form.
    I agree. But I think it is important to understand why people are fearful rather than simply diminishing their feelings by pointing out all the other things they should be more fearful of in comparison.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (04-01-2015),VicPark  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    Geez I would hate to have been one your children when they were afraid of the dark, or god forbid, a monster under the bed!

Honestly, i dont live my life in fear. Im not scared to leave the house. Im not stressed 24/7. However some people are and suffer from REAL anxieties! Coming along and tut tutting, acting like we are all ignorant and uneducated on your high horse of strength and rantionalism does not help anyone to feel safe an is definitely NOT helpful.

How about showing some kindness and empathy. Not "do you realise" (<- insert *****y tone there) or researching all the reasons why your right and we are wrong. Seriously. All that does is gets peoples backs up.

I used to be petrified there was something under my bed, and my Mum used to look under there from my point of view and then be calm and tell me not to worry, to look and see theres nothing there...not go 'STOP BEING SO UNEDUCATED AND IRRATIONAL IM GOING ON WIKI TO TELL YOU WHY YOUR ALL WRONG'.
    Gosh. Settle down!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returned Jihadist

I agree. But I think it is important to understand why people are fearful rather than simply diminishing their feelings by pointing out all the other things they should be more fearful of in comparison.
    I struggle to understand why people would be more afraid of risk "A" (extremely low chance of occurring) as opposed to not being as concerned about risks "B", "C", or "D", which are statistically far more likely to happen.

Because I struggle to understand this - something which seems very illogical - doesn't make me lacking in empathy or on my "high horse". ?!

Sorry if any of my comments came across as diminishing feelings of those who I disagree with. I was simply seeking to point out another side which maybe those so frightened of terrorism in Australia hadn't considered?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I struggle to understand why people would be more afraid of risk "A" (extremely low chance of occurring) as opposed to not being as concerned about risks "B", "C", or "D", which are statistically far more likely to happen.

Because I struggle to understand this - something which seems very illogical - doesn't make me lacking in empathy or on my "high horse". ?!
    Try thinking about it from a different angle.

Not the frequency or likelihood of something occurring... Rather how **** scared you would be if you died a certain way.

With a car accident (touchwood) it would hopefully be over pretty quickly. Maybe not, but hopefully. Watching your colleague/counterpart being hacked to pieces knowing you were next... Being held hostage thinking the person had a bomb that could go off at any moment...Or being stuck up the top of a high rise building knowing there was no way out and deciding to jump. Basically think about which scenario would leave the biggest skiddie in your undies regardless of the likelihood of it occurring...... Then have a "that scenario is actually likely" message plastered all over the evening news. That's why some people are scared.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Try thinking about it from a different angle.

Not the frequency or likelihood of something occurring... Rather how **** scared you would be if you died a certain way.

With a car accident (touchwood) it would hopefully be over pretty quickly. Maybe not, but hopefully. Watching your colleague/counterpart being hacked to pieces knowing you were next... Being held hostage thinking the person had a bomb that could go off at any moment...Or being stuck up the top of a high rise building knowing there was no way out and deciding to jump. Basically think about which scenario would leave the biggest skiddie in your undies regardless of the likelihood of it occurring...... Then have a "that scenario is actually likely" message plastered all over the evening news. That's why some people are scared.
    What about other risky things, like being killed in a bushfire, or a domestic violence type scenario where a partner might terrorise his partner for weeks , months , years? Not very nice ways to die but nowhere near the same airplay as terrorism in Australia ?

Sorry I can't stop giggling about the "skiddies in undies" comment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think anyone is trying to diminish the feelings of others- simply saying there many things that are far more likely to happen yet we are not talking about those. I think it's a reaction to what a lot of people see as a media and government beat up- they have directed the conversation to this huge fear of a terrorist attack and it begs the question of why when there are other more pressing threats. It's about putting things in perspective.
    To come back to the domestic violence example- one woman is killed each week. I believe there was even more this past year. Why is that not a national emergency? Why are laws not changing? With domestic violence, this is not a threat- this is literally already happening. Statistics show just how likely women are to face sexual and other types of violence and abuse. Yet nothing- no headlines, no reassurance from the minister for women, sympathetic language used in the media towards murderers and our country denying such abuse is torture on a world stage.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015),MsViking  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This.

Maybe if you dont think you are doing this, you should think about some of your comments from another point of view. We all mean well, but sometimes comments read differently.