+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can totally understand the fear some people may have (whether it is irrational or not!). In my opinion we have been pretty sheltered here in Australia when it comes to the heinous things going on around the world. Now it seems we are bombarded by images of beheadings, mass shootings on the front cover of the paper, bombings etc. etc. maybe it's not just a fear for our own safety but for that of family and friends and a fear of the loss of peace in our country.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post

That doesn't say that they can't be afraid of anything, it says it is irrational to be MORE afraid of terrorism. I've said nothing of the sort.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015),snowqu33n  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    Geez I would hate to have been one your children when they were afraid of the dark, or god forbid, a monster under the bed!

Honestly, i dont live my life in fear. Im not scared to leave the house. Im not stressed 24/7. However some people are and suffer from REAL anxieties! Coming along and tut tutting, acting like we are all ignorant and uneducated on your high horse of strength and rantionalism does not help anyone to feel safe an is definitely NOT helpful.

How about showing some kindness and empathy. Not "do you realise" (<- insert *****y tone there) or researching all the reasons why your right and we are wrong. Seriously. All that does is gets peoples backs up.

I used to be petrified there was something under my bed, and my Mum used to look under there from my point of view and then be calm and tell me not to worry, to look and see theres nothing there...not go 'STOP BEING SO UNEDUCATED AND IRRATIONAL IM GOING ON WIKI TO TELL YOU WHY YOUR ALL WRONG'.
    who is on a high horse?
    Why is it that people can be shown FACTS and still ignore them? I have not once made fun of of people's fears, or said that they can't be afraid, I have just pointed out the facts....it is highly unlikely to die of terrorism in Australia. That is a fact.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    You do realize there is a big difference between an adult and a kid's brain don't you?
    Not necessarily, we can both be worried about irrational things one in the same. Adults just seem to be expected to either suck it up or get over it. There is a difference between me being 'scared' of jumping in cold water for a fleeting second, and having anxiety which can be debilitating. Its those people that this kind of scary news is affecting and simply telling them to get over it, you could get hit by a bus, isnt helpful.

Im off to enjoy my last day off work in the sunshine. 🌴

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We as adults have access to information, and for the most part have some level of education and intelligence, something that a child has not yet properly established.
    we are not expected to just suck it up, but we are expected to seek information, assess the facts and be able to review.

Mental illness is a whole different ball game. maybe one who has significant anxieties should help themselves a little bit and stay away from propaganda media sources if they have difficulties analysing fact from media hype.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so i'll share some other facts (excuse the cut and paste job):

- Sep 2014:

Terrorism threat: Australian alert level raised to high; terrorist attack likely but not imminent (Australian Government).

- Sept 2014:

Not a bomb on a plane, a mass shooting or a train explosion similar to those in Madrid and London, but bloody public murder with knives, swords or machetes. That's the kind of attack, not unlike the murder of soldier Lee Rigby on a London street last May, that Australia's counter-terrorism authorities are believed to have been acting to stop through Australia's biggest ever counter terror raids today. (ABC)

- Sep 2014:

AFP uncover plot to attack government building

Nov 2014:

Terrorist plot targeting Black Friday shoppers uncovered.

Dec 2014:

INTELLIGENCE agencies are fearful of a Christmas holiday terror attack after intercepting increased “chatter” among a group of Sydney-based IS ­extremists who had been the subject of unprecedented counter-terrorism raids across Sydney in September. (Tony Abbott via Daily Telegraph).

I could keep going! This is what people continuously hear. How are people meant to decipher what is real and what is exaggerated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Laurie Starling

Milperra massacre- 6 sea bikies, 1 dead bystander, 28 wounded

2012 Robina Town Centre shooting

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/b...-1226690598400

Not to mention the countless stories that don't make the news, like my mil who was followed home from work one night by a bikie gang- reason for it she parked infront of a rival gangs club house as there was no other space in the street to park. They were sorry when they found out she was an innocent but mistaken identity often happens.
    Milperra bikie massacre was years ago! Sorry your mil was stalked for a bit but I stand by what I said. For the most part unless you hang out with bikies you generally don't get caught up in their ****. The percentage of innocent people hurt in bikie attacks must be like 0.02% (ok I plucked that figure but I am sure people get my point).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Ok so i'll share some other facts (excuse the cut and paste job):

- Sep 2014:

Terrorism threat: Australian alert level raised to high; terrorist attack likely but not imminent (Australian Government).

- Sept 2014:

Not a bomb on a plane, a mass shooting or a train explosion similar to those in Madrid and London, but bloody public murder with knives, swords or machetes. That's the kind of attack, not unlike the murder of soldier Lee Rigby on a London street last May, that Australia's counter-terrorism authorities are believed to have been acting to stop through Australia's biggest ever counter terror raids today. (ABC)

- Sep 2014:

AFP uncover plot to attack government building

Nov 2014:

Terrorist plot targeting Black Friday shoppers uncovered.

Dec 2014:

INTELLIGENCE agencies are fearful of a Christmas holiday terror attack after intercepting increased “chatter” among a group of Sydney-based IS ­extremists who had been the subject of unprecedented counter-terrorism raids across Sydney in September. (Tony Abbott via Daily Telegraph).

I could keep going! This is what people continuously hear. How are people meant to decipher what is real and what is exaggerated?
    So do these relate specifically to the 20 jihadist that this post for started with? I think not. All along none of us have denied that one must be alert, we have however provided facts pointing out other facts

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returned Jihadist

The media have a lot to answer for in their reporting. Don't believe all the hysteria in main****** media.

This article below happened the day after the raids in Sydney. I don't know how it didn't make the news, but I do know that if this guy was a muslim and not some unstable Australian guy, it would've been front page news around the world for days. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...attack/5757700

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2015),snowqu33n  (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    So do these relate specifically to the 20 jihadist that this post for started with? I think not. All along none of us have denied that one must be alert, we have however provided facts pointing out other facts
    Huh?!? Oh ok.... so the fear of 20 Jihad's returning from fighting alongside IS in Syria (and involved in God knows what while over there) has nothing to do with these recent events?