+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I disagree. People can be sucked into propaganda. The Islamic state are very good at this. Also, you can't render someone stateless. But, there have been 120 people killed by islamic state who wanted to return to their countries after fighting with islamic state.
    Sucked into propaganda? More like radicalized. I'm sure that doesn't just disappear when they come back. They knowingly left to fight alongside murderers trying to force sharia law on people. I find it hard to see what place they could have in the community here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember reading a report in regards to these returned jihadists. I believe the British did some research on the matter because they had a bit of an epidemic of young men running off to join terrorist cells.

Essentially they found that people who voluntarily return to their country after something like this do so in a state of disillusion - and they're damn relieved to be taken back. They've lived the 'excitement' and found it pretty crappy (duh) and were unlikely to hold the same extremist views that led to their joining the groups in the first place. I imagine that sort of experience on a young and stupid mind would be more than enough to knock some sense into them.

Sort of like all those gung ho soldiers heading off to war in 1914. They thought that'd be pretty cool too - until they were in the middle of it.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-01-2015),BigRedV  (03-01-2015),MsViking  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Sucked into propaganda? More like radicalized. I'm sure that doesn't just disappear when they come back. They knowingly left to fight alongside murderers trying to force sharia law on people. I find it hard to see what place they could have in the community here.
    Yes. Propaganda. Why is that hard to understand? islamic state are very good at propaganda. And we have to look at why people do get brainwashed. Perhaps they don't feel like they fit in. They have no identity. Some can be reformed and some can't/won't.

How much do you know about sharia law? I heard a guy on Ray Hadley who wanted to leave and go and fight with IS and he couldn't even explain what sharia law was. Many are brainwashed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You said you would find it easier to accept because it was not intentional. Well tell that to the family and friends of those victims.
    I said I find it easier to accept that accidents do happen then that someone may intentionally hurt me. Not that its any less tragic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A sudden loss is a sudden loss, they should never be compared, it does not matter how a loved one died, you miss them the same.

DH works in an industry that has been actively attacked around the world by terrorists. The buildings he works in are the type that have been targets.

When we lived in London in 2005 we left to go traveling the first week of July. The London bombings happened on an underground train he took every morning. We had left a few days before. Should I be frightened that something is going to happen to him?

I was asking DH last night if he was nervous about flying, he said no, he was more likely to be killed by a car when he cycles into work every day. He's right.

There are dangers everywhere, you can't constantly live your life in fear. Of course terrorism in Australia could happen but you have to try and have faith that the government knows a lot more than you, or the reporters, and has it under control.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (03-01-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (03-01-2015),MsViking  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just curious..... So do you think David Hicks should have been allowed back? Or released?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Just curious..... So do you think David Hicks should have been allowed back? Or released?
    Hicks?! Hey who knows, had he not been captured by the Northern alliance and sold to the American Military - he may have still been over there of his own free will.

My statement applies to any person who participates in terrorism regardless of ethnicity or skin colour if that's what you're trying to get at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Returned Jihadist

Hicks?! Hey who knows, had he not been captured by the Northern alliance and sold to the American Military - he may have still been over there of his own free will.

My statement applies to any person who participates in terrorism regardless of ethnicity or skin colour if that's what you're trying to get at.
    No, I wasn't meaning race at all and assumed you knew that the article from OP was referring to 'typical' Aussies. I was curious because I know Hicks is a controversial topic and many Australians feel he did nothing wrong.

Eta: so in essence Hicks is a returned jihadist that walks freely and nobody seems scared of him.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (03-01-2015),maternidade  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a valid point, deep down there is fear because they are not "Aussie" ( hence my earlier comment regarding racism). David Hicks is a perfect relevant example.

We are talking just over 20 individuals in a population of over 23 million!!

Aussie bikie gangs have currently killed and injured more innocent victims ( and then all the non innocent ones).
    These are an organisation who sole purpose is to bully, intimidate and to incite terror to get what they want.
    If you want me to dig up dates and victims I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And yes, they can be compared. You are way more likely to die from many, many things in this country other than terrorism. I haven't said her fear isn't real, but yes, it is s bit irrational when there are hundreds of other more things more likely to cause your death, injury or disability.
    It's called TERRORism for a reason.

The intentional, violent, intimidating acts randomly targeting people in calculated pursuit of a political goal TERRORises people.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (03-01-2015),KillerHeels  (03-01-2015),Niki24  (04-01-2015)