+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    It's racist and irrational
    Huh? What is racist? I have seen nothing on here that implies racism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    It's racist and irrational
    Omg. Here we go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    It's not about not having empathy, sorry if I'm coming off harsh.

But perspective can go a long way in helping with anxiety. If somebody was posting about being scared of flying because of all these tragedies I think there would be heaps of responses about how accidents are rare, etc.

DH flies over to OZ on Wednesday and I feel sick to my stomach about it and have to keep telling myself things to force me to keep it in perspective, that air tragedies are rare.
    You are right. Perspective is also based on personal experience. If your hubby had been in a near accident once before you are more likely to be wary of flying and worry when he flies.

I work for an organisation that has been directly threatened with attacks. Does that make me worried to wear my uniform in public? Hell yes it does.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think my initial thoughts were just an overall sadness about how self-absorbed we all can be sometimes (general 'we,' not directing that at anybody in particular). Wasting our time worrying about things happening to us that are actually others' realities.

The video I saw earlier just brought a lot of things home for me, although I try to keep up to date on news I've been trying to keep a certain distance from it as well, not letting myself think too much about it. Today I'm just feeling a real sadness for the people that are in the midst of horrible times right now and feel I just need to really embrace how lucky I am in this moment in time. That's what I was trying to portray, I shouldn't have started to get into a debate, I'm sorry.

It's late here, I have a snugly baby asleep in my arms and I'm going to try to get some sleep as well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (03-01-2015),MsViking  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    Gosh is having a bit of empathy for someone who is anxious about this really such a bad thing?

If she posted about being anxious on planes would you all be jumping on her about it being implausible and irrational? All im saying is i understand.
    I think people who are afraid of flying are aware that their fear is somewhat irrational. The problem with the sort of thing the OP is talking about is that people don't think the fear is irrational at all, they think it's completely possible if not likely that they or someone they know will be hurt by a terrorist attack of some sort or that people of a certain religion/ethnicity/appearance are potential terrorists.

I get that you're trying to show some understanding towards the OP and fair enough - her fear may be very real to her

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-01-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (03-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But the Air Asia tragedy has seen few.
    Of course, that happened to "other" people, not to "our" people!
    Not saying I agree, but the relatively small reaction to that sad event isn't surprising.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Ra Ra Superstar  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    You most certainly can avoid them. By remaining vigilant and keeping a look out, slowing down and moving away from erratic drivers. Of course not all the time but you accept the risk.

The fact is, by swimming in the ocean, you accept risk if sharks. By jaywalking you know you could get hit by a bus.

If im walking to work and some idiot chops my head off with a machete in Martin Place for their own personal agenda thats a whole other situation.

I understand what you are trying to say, but you cant really use the past as a comparison. These terroist actions are unpredictable.
    I disagree. Your vehicle is a weapon and is much more of a risk to you and your family than a machete is.

Two pedestrians died recently in Sydney as a result of a guy driving up the kerb and knocking them over. How do you propose they could've been more vigilant?

Tragic accidents happen all the time, and these are much more dangerous to you than terrorism in this country.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (03-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regardless of whether you fear them or not - once somebody makes a decision to partake in fighting with the Islamic State over in Syria - they should never be allowed back. I don't care if they are a risk to the public or not or how closely they are being monitored.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returned Jihadist

I work in a field that attempts to improve safety outcomes for people at risk of certain events. Part of my job (among other things) is to closely examine all of the research that looks into human behaviour when faced with risk, and I can tell you now that while most people accept they might be "at risk", they also believe that it will never actually happen to them, even in the case of car accidents or domestic violence or other events which have relatively "high" numbers (by Australian standards) of people who due resulting from them.

So maybe it's better to direct our energies towards trying to make sure we are safe from those "riskier" things rather than pouring energies into things that are statistically much less likely to happen, eg get a safety check done on your car, drive defensively, exercise and eat well, get to know potential romantic interests well before moving in together, etc.
    Last edited by MsViking; 03-01-2015 at 10:57.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (03-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (03-01-2015),moongazer  (03-01-2015),snowqu33n  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So do you go walking around alone outside at 1am and feel completely safe? Or leave your door unlocked every night?

Even though you think it might not happen to you, you still always actively take precautions in regards to your safety.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-01-2015)