+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    There are also a lot more than 20 non "Jihadists" criminals that are free to walk around ( and reoffend ). I'm sure I've got more than 20 in my suburb alone ( and I'm in a nicer suburb).
    I don't see you cowering in fear over this. These offenders have been walking amongst us long before everyone started fearing jihadists.

Look at Brett Peter Cowan who had a long criminal history....

Jill Meagher killer Adrian Bayley had a shocking criminal history.

I know there are several others, here is a link to an article I found

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/p...-1226928205136

"Terrorists" only have power if you let them incite fear. I'm no more afraid that on the small chance I'm walking down the street I may become a jihadist victim than I am about becoming a sickened criminals victim ( which is almost at 0%).
    Thank you, this is what I'm trying to get at!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is about becoming aware of your surroundings at all times. Some random who pulls out machete will display strange behaviour beforehand

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    America had experienced terrorist attacks before 9/11. I can remember a few off the top of my head, 9/11 wasn't the first attack on the twin towers. And 9/11 wasn't Bin Laden's first attack against Americans. 9/11 was just what brought it all to the world stage and made more people take notice. Because of 9/11 world governments are more vigilant than ever.

I just think some perspective needs to be kept. The fact that that article can even be written shows that the government is well aware of what is happening.
    Wednesday, April 19, 1995
    Deaths168
    Non-fatal injuries 680+
    Oklahoma City bombing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is about becoming aware of your surroundings at all times. Some random who pulls out machete will display strange behaviour beforehand
    There was actually a horrible attack on a women in the Canary Islands a couple years ago, she was killed in the same type of attack that is being implied. Broad daylight, in a shop. The attacker wasn't a terrorist but a very mentally ill man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wednesday, April 19, 1995
    Deaths168
    Non-fatal injuries 680+
    Oklahoma City bombing
    Exactly.

And the USS Cole. And the Twin Tower bombings in the early 90's. A bomb in one of the garages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh is having a bit of empathy for someone who is anxious about this really such a bad thing?

If she posted about being anxious on planes would you all be jumping on her about it being implausible and irrational? All im saying is i understand.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    Gosh is having a bit of empathy for someone who is anxious about this really such a bad thing?

If she posted about being anxious on planes would you all be jumping on her about it being implausible and irrational? All im saying is i understand.
    I'm just pointing out that if you are anxious and fearful then you need to be for many reasons

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just pointing out that if you are anxious and fearful then you need to be for many reasons
    1. No ones saying that you dont.

2. Probably not the kindest thing to 'point out' to someone who worrys or may have anxiety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post

It's not about not having empathy, sorry if I'm coming off harsh.

But perspective can go a long way in helping with anxiety. If somebody was posting about being scared of flying because of all these tragedies I think there would be heaps of responses about how accidents are rare, etc.

DH flies over to OZ on Wednesday and I feel sick to my stomach about it and have to keep telling myself things to force me to keep it in perspective, that air tragedies are rare.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-01-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's racist and irrational