+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    My advice would e to put him down as often as you can- he does need to learn that you will put him down once he is asleep.
    And put bub down to sleep where you intend bub to wake. Otherwise bub will stir between sleep cycles, think "wtf where am I?" And crack it...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

mumofsneeandlace  (03-01-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    They change so much when little...you could just try riding it out.

Do you have a bedtime ritual? We didn't really establish ours until 4.5-5 months but essentially did play feed bath feed/bed. Then from 6 months dinner bath feed/bed and I also sing twinkle twinkle to ds at the start of the feed now and dh & I sign goodnight to everyone when we put him down (then I hop in to feed).

Eta: how long do you wait to transfer once he is asleep?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Yep I'm screaming - he's bloody awake again! Only difference with us Nomsie is he's my last too but I cannot cope with these wakings. They're doing my head in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default To those who feed to sleep....

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I tried to feed DS1 to sleep when he was about 2 months. I would have to sit still for about 20 minutes until bub was in a deeper state of sleep then transfer him to the cot. What a pain in the butt. And half the time he would wake after a sleep cycle. I later learned that if bub falls to sleep with an aid (feed, patting, rocking, when bub stirs in between sleep cycles bub will think "where the hell is that boob/dummy" And crack it.

How old is bub now? Feeding to sleep may seem like an easier option now with a toddler but if bub gets used to it (to the point where bub can't self settle) it will be harder with a toddler in the long run as your hands will be tied up with bub for much longer than what they need to be if you could just plop bub into the cot and have bub fall asleep on his/her own.

There is an awesome shush/pat technique I learned from my local MACH clinic with ds2. It helped hubby and I put youngish bub to bed drowsy but awake. Happy to pass on noted if you decide to move on from feeding to sleep.
    I'd like the notes if you have them. I did shhhhh pat with DD and it worked well after 3 months, but how do I get time to do this without DD banging on the door to come in or crying because I've left her to settle him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    They change so much when little...you could just try riding it out.

Do you have a bedtime ritual? We didn't really establish ours until 4.5-5 months but essentially did play feed bath feed/bed. Then from 6 months dinner bath feed/bed and I also sing twinkle twinkle to ds at the start of the feed now and dh & I sign goodnight to everyone when we put him down (then I hop in to feed).

Eta: how long do you wait to transfer once he is asleep?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    10 minutes minimum. I used to only have to wait 3-5 and he would usually stay down.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yep I now cosleep from anywhere from 10 onwards depending on how good of a night she is having.

Tonight is great- down at 6 (very tired) and only woken once at 9. Another quick feed and down again.

About 5 nights ago she was down at 7 and I had been in there at least six times by 9:30.

Sleep has so many variables and they can't tell us what is wrong (most frustrating thing ever!)

I miss sleeping by myself (or with df haha!) but I know I will also miss sleeping with her once it has ended.

I didn't cosleep with my twins and I would be in their room anywhere from 8-20 times on a standard night- and sometimes for over an hour. They weren't fed to sleep- they were put in their cots and I would stay with them to calm them but they went to sleep in their cots. I obviously just breed bad sleepers during infancy. I just couldn't do that this time round. I had to be Able to function to get my boys ready for school etc and co sleeping was about my only answer once dd regressed at 4 months. Prior to that she slept from 9-4 had a feed and slept til about 7.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I fed 2/3 of my babies to sleep for the first 3/4 months. First baby was formula fed so didn't get fed to sleep but once my bf babies were asleep and put down, they didn't wake until next feed. And all 3 of mine had dummies as well
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-01-2015 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I'd like the notes if you have them. I did shhhhh pat with DD and it worked well after 3 months, but how do I get time to do this without DD banging on the door to come in or crying because I've left her to settle him?
    First of all you've got to take dd out of the equation so to speak if daycare or daddy isn't an option at the time then chuck Peppa Pig on repeat (or whatever the fave show is) and plonk your toddler down in front of the tellie. Then move to settling bub.

With bub in bed, lights out, place one hand on bubs chest. With the other hand start patting the mattress just above bubs head. Then start saying "shush" over and over. After a couple of minutes when bub is relaxed then take your hand of bubs chest. Continue with the mattress patting and "shush"ing. Then after another couple of minutes when bubs eyes are getting droopy stop patting and continue the "shush". If bub is still relaxed then slowly move away from the cot and reduce the volume of the shush. Keep shushing until you are out of the room. Bub should be drowsy but awake. If at any point bub starts to protest, go back to the previous step (eg If when you are just shushing bub protests, re-add the mattress patting back in). Then continue as before.

It worked wonders for my bub (ds2) and really did help him learn to self settle with very minimal crying.

Putting bub to bed awake is one of the main keys to solid sleeping. The shush pat technique is great for young bubs. As my bub got older (now 10 months) we now do 20 minutes active play after his last feed before bed.

Does bub have a comforter? A breathable teddy blanket style comforter can really help bubs settle. Use it at every sleep regardless of whether it is in the cot, car, pram. My ds2s relationship with his comforter really took off when we stopped swaddling about 4.5-5 months.
    Last edited by VicPark; 02-01-2015 at 21:56.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    How old is your bub?
    I've almost always fed dd to sleep.
    90% of the time I put her down and give her a few quick pats and she is good.
    We did go through a long period when she was about 5-10 months old where I would feed her to sleep, carry her into a double bed, lie down with her and feed her again because she wouldn't be out down.
    Once she was fully asleep I would detach, and slowly roll out of bed an creep away. If she woke, I would feed again.
    She did eventually grow out of it, but all her naps were like that for a while.
    ^^^ this exactly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feed to sleep in my bed I don't bother with burping once she is fast asleep I move her to her bed. if I give her a proper full feed at the right time she almost always goes to sleep on the first go.... its only when routine is ruined that she won't sleep. sometimes I hop into the cot with her to feed her to sleep :/
    Last edited by mumofsneeandlace; 03-01-2015 at 07:17.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofsneeandlace For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015)