+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default To those who feed to sleep....

Those who feed to sleep, how many takes does it take? Lately when I feed DS to sleep - he's fast asleep and when I put him down he's wide awake and starts crying. Am I supposed to just then try and rock him to sleep, or try and feed him again?

It seems all I do now is feed him, burp him, put him down, he wakes, I pick him up again, feed him, he falls asleep, I burp him, put him down he wakes and repeat 3 or 4 times before he sleeps (generally at night time) or after 2 or 3 times in the day he's wide awake and I give up.

I try and keep him awake while he feeds but especially at night he just passes it on the boob. Feeding to sleep is meant to make settling easier, not harder. I would try and wean him off feeding to sleep, but the other settling alternatives seem impossible with a demanding toddler always around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I either feed to sleep, or baby wear. Most nights a combination of both until something sticks. It rarely ever works first go and bub usually goes down pretty late. Touch wood we had a good night tonight. Fell asleep during first feed and transferred to bed before 8. Though now I am doomed for saying that lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    How old is your bub?
    I've almost always fed dd to sleep.
    90% of the time I put her down and give her a few quick pats and she is good.
    We did go through a long period when she was about 5-10 months old where I would feed her to sleep, carry her into a double bed, lie down with her and feed her again because she wouldn't be out down.
    Once she was fully asleep I would detach, and slowly roll out of bed an creep away. If she woke, I would feed again.
    She did eventually grow out of it, but all her naps were like that for a while.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015),deku  (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    He is 14 weeks old

He has phases really, we just had 2ish weeks of him feeding to sleep and sleeping 3 hour stretches day and night but now naps are rare and he's waking more at night.

He's feeding right now but of course is asleep so lots of quick sucks and long pauses. I'm not sure if I should detach him or let him continue to lazy suck....

If I try and put him down again now (4th time since 7:30pm - now 9:20) I'm going to scream!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    I either feed to sleep, or baby wear. Most nights a combination of both until something sticks. It rarely ever works first go and bub usually goes down pretty late. Touch wood we had a good night tonight. Fell asleep during first feed and transferred to bed before 8. Though now I am doomed for saying that lol.
    Haha, good luck!!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I feed to sleep but we cosleep so I just lie down next to him so I don't need to transfer.

He is now 11 months and I only have been able to transfer him while asleep since about 10 months. Before he would wake up and require more bfing.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015),deku  (03-01-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It can be hard, and look to be honest the research is quite compelling that feeding a baby to sleep causes them to wake more often.
    But, my girl is stubborn, and she is also my last so I'm ok with the frequent wakings because I know it's not forever. I have sleeping 6 year old twins that are living proof!
    My advice would e to put him down as often as you can- he does need to learn that you will put him down once he is asleep.
    You could also be experiencing the 4 month sleep regression also.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by '[Mod
    Nomsie;8046757]
    You could also be experiencing the 4 month sleep regression also.
    This had crossed my mind 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I tried to feed DS1 to sleep when he was about 2 months. I would have to sit still for about 20 minutes until bub was in a deeper state of sleep then transfer him to the cot. What a pain in the butt. And half the time he would wake after a sleep cycle. I later learned that if bub falls to sleep with an aid (feed, patting, rocking, when bub stirs in between sleep cycles bub will think "where the hell is that boob/dummy" And crack it.

How old is bub now? Feeding to sleep may seem like an easier option now with a toddler but if bub gets used to it (to the point where bub can't self settle) it will be harder with a toddler in the long run as your hands will be tied up with bub for much longer than what they need to be if you could just plop bub into the cot and have bub fall asleep on his/her own.

There is an awesome shush/pat technique I learned from my local MACH clinic with ds2. It helped hubby and I put youngish bub to bed drowsy but awake. Happy to pass on noted if you decide to move on from feeding to sleep.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This had crossed my mind 😁
    Great article on the 4 month sleep regression:
    https://childsleepscience.wordpress....done-about-it/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (02-01-2015)