+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Hervey Bay or Caloundra for family holiday?

Looking at going on holidays in July this year. Have 3 kids who will be aged 7, 5 and 2 at the time.

Anyone have any idea which of these destinations is better for a family holiday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Golden beach. It's like the hidden gem of Caloundra. Great beach for young kids, calm and no waves. Also, because it's not as popular, accom is much cheaper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks.

Accommodation in Caloundra for the time I am going is $485 for a week in a self contained 3 bedroom apartment. In Hervey Bay, 3 bedroom self contained apartment is $585, so not s huge difference.

Will it be warm enough for the beach in July? We live near the beach anyway, so kids won't be too fussed. Just want somewhere that's got more to do for kids as I will be on my own with the 3 of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been to Hervey Bay. It was almost 10 years ago so things could've changed, but I remember it not being very big. I figured at least the sunshine Coast will be a bit more busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Caloundra for sure. Hervey Bay is good if you want to go to Fraser Island, otherwise it is a bit of a retirement town. Sunshine Coast beaches are much nicer and more things to do there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Depends on how much your kids notice the cold. At that age mine happily swam in the surf on NSW / Victoria border in the middle of July.

Caloundra is closer to attractions eg Underwater World , Aussie World (very small theme park), Eumundi markets, Maroochydore etc. It has a smallish cinema complex, shops, lots of fish and chip takeaways etc.

I'm not too sure what the facilities at Hervey Bay are like.
    I live near the beach in Sydney and wouldn't take my kids to the beach to go swimming in July but am aware it is warmer in qld in July. And as we do live near the beach, it is not a main attraction for us in Qld. If we want to go swimming, I could find a swimming pool At least it would probably be heated for me, lol!

Thanks again everyone, might book our accommodation in Caloundra.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-01-2015 at 17:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Caloundra for sure. Hervey Bay is good if you want to go to Fraser Island, otherwise it is a bit of a retirement town. Sunshine Coast beaches are much nicer and more things to do there.
    Awesome info. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live about 40 mins from Caloundra. It's definitely warm enough to go swimming some days in July.

If the beach isn't the main attraction, then as a previous poster mentioned, there is heaps to do around Caloundra. Australia Zoo is only about 20mins. If you bought a yearly pass ($90/adult, $50/child) you could go a couple of times while you're up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hervey Bay has changed a lot. It has more shopping, Restaurants and things to do. The Wetside water park is a free water play park and is awesome for the kids. There are Markets in Maryborough during the week that are great to visit. Plenty to do in and around the region.
    Last edited by Beljane; 02-01-2015 at 21:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Of those choices, Caloundra.

But of the Sunshine Coast, Noosa. Because I'm selfish.

Have a look at the Caloundra Oaks waterpark. That sounds fun. Also with three kids the Kenilworth Cheese Factory, followed by a play at the massive and awesome park is a good day out.

ETA: I'll probably stalk you on Facebook and hint a lot at a Noosa day trip...
    Last edited by Luna Lovegood; 02-01-2015 at 21:28.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (02-01-2015)