+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vegetarian baby food

Any suggestions or recommendations? Or general success stories of people happily raising healthy vegetarian/vegan children?

DS is just over 6 months, so far I've just blended lentils or beans in with vegies for him. Is it ok to give tofu, quorn, soy/almond milk at this stage? When and how is the best way to safely incorporate nuts into his diet?
    We do eat occasional eggs, cheese and yogurt too.
    I'm also finding a lot of pressure to give store bought iron-fortified baby foods, but I'm not sure if these are really necessary or just good marketing. Should I be feeding him things like this to bump up his iron intake in the absence of red meat?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You don't need to bother with the rice cereal stuff!

We're vegan and both girls have eaten a vegan diet since birth. Tofu is fine at this point - G was loving it last night! I don't eat quorn as it's not vegan but I would check the salt content - personally I would stick to whole foods at this point and avoid processed stuff.

Get lots of leafy greens and broccoli in, both girls have adored steamed/stir fried broccoli. We have lots of green smoothies and I load some up on a spoon and DD2 goes to town on it. Spinach, kale etc. she loves Chinese broccoli too.

Nut butters are your best bet, you can put a little bit on his arm to check for reaction if you like. We have no allergies in our families so we have started peanut butter almost straight away on bits of toast, rice cakes. Big hit!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

deku  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another great thing for babes is little patties/balls made with lentils/beans and veggies. Easy for them to hold and chew on!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

deku  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soy milk generally has a lot of sugar so I would steer clear at this point. All he needs is breast milk, a wide variety of whole foods and some water at this point (but just breast milk/formula is plenty of liquid at this age).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

deku  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    You don't need to bother with the rice cereal stuff!

We're vegan and both girls have eaten a vegan diet since birth. Tofu is fine at this point - G was loving it last night! I don't eat quorn as it's not vegan but I would check the salt content - personally I would stick to whole foods at this point and avoid processed stuff.

Get lots of leafy greens and broccoli in, both girls have adored steamed/stir fried broccoli. We have lots of green smoothies and I load some up on a spoon and DD2 goes to town on it. Spinach, kale etc. she loves Chinese broccoli too.

Nut butters are your best bet, you can put a little bit on his arm to check for reaction if you like. We have no allergies in our families so we have started peanut butter almost straight away on bits of toast, rice cakes. Big hit!
    Awesome, thank you GreenMama! I almost tagged you in my OP but it seems I didn't have to

You're right about the processed food, I wasn't sure how far tofu fell into that category. I feel a bit guilty that I absolutely love both Quorn and the Sanitarium range of processed "imitation meats" and eat so much of them. I love fake chicken!

And Chinese broccoli! We had this at a restaurant recently (see pic, haha he had a great time eating two at once) but it would never have occurred to me to cook it at home. He likes broccolini but I hate how the little buds seem to go everywhere!

2014-12-24 19.34.23.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha, yeah there will be lots of mess :/ have you tried the Fry's chicken strips? I am not into many fake meats but they are AWESOME! Can't get them everywhere but I'm pretty sure they're at the broadway Coles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of people have a reaction to quorn, so many it even has a warning in the packet, so might be worthwhile staying away from that at a young age just in case

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter does have meat, but our diet is largely vegetarian. I'd agree with avoiding the processed stuff at that age, as delicious as it may be.
    Legumes etc. are fantastic, as is tofu. My daughter LOVES all kinds of beans as a snack, and they can be made into snacks/slices/biscuits etc. Eggs are a fantastic food for babies if you're happy to purchase/eat those.
    Some cereals are very nutrient-rich... oats and other whole grains are great too. Along with a wide variety of fruit and veg of course.

The internet's a great resource, and there are some fantastic ideas and recipes out there. Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

deku  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    A lot of people have a reaction to quorn, so many it even has a warning in the packet, so might be worthwhile staying away from that at a young age just in case
    Really? I love the stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Really? I love the stuff
    Yeah it has made my BIL extremely ill requiring medical treatment and I realised I'm a bit intolerant to it too - shame because it's quite a handy substitute. Packet has some warning on it can't remember the wording.