+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10 month old routine

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but I have a 10 month old on the following routine--

Wake, nappy change
    Bottle if he will take it (most times he will only take 50ml)
    Solids
    Play
    Bottle sleep

I've realised that he is probably being fed and rocked to sleep which is a negative sleep association to have so I want to change his routine so I can get him back to putting himself to sleep. He is now getting so heavy for me (I'm only small) so I just can't be rocking him to bed much longer. I already see the physio for my lower back.

I'm curious to kno what routines other babies of similar age are on.....and does your baby put themselves back to sleep??

TIA

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Dd is 11 months and she doesn't have much of a set routine, in changes depending when she gets up but I have been trying to get her to sleep at the same nap times everyday.

5.30- 6.30 she wakes.
    Breakfast usually with some milk to drink.

Get ready for the day and she just plays and does her own thing.

8.45-9.45 she goes down for a nap, the earlier she wakes the earlier she goes down, she's only recently starting doing this since she has started walking more, Her cot is next to my bed so I put her in there and lay in my bed next to her until she falls asleep, usually takes 5-10 mins.

Wakes up at around 10.45-11 and she has morning tea or lunch depending on the time. Then she will just play or we will go swimming.

Around 2.30 she goes down for another sleep for an hour or so and then when she wakes up she has afternoon tea. She may have 1 bottle at one of her sleeps, depends if she had milk with breakfast.

Around 5-5.30 is dinner time and then she has a shower and a play. 6.30 is she will have a bottle and sit with me for a little while and then 7-7.30 I put her in her bed and she will fall asleep ( with me in the room).

During the night I have stopped getting her out of bed when she wakes up and I just ignore, she lays back down and goes to sleep, this has only been happening the last couple of weeks, before then she would be up for hours in the night, then I got exhausted and decided enough was enough.

This is a basic run down of a day at home, she has more snacks in between meals because she's more of a grazer then into eating a full meal. If we go out, then she just sleeps when she likes in her pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 10 months and we feed to sleep, he's not really interested in BFing during the day - he's too busy to stop and sit for it.

So it's 6am up, BF in my bed if he wants it then breaky around 7, play then feed to sleep at around 8.30.

Up at 10 ish, snack then lunch about 12 then feed to sleep around 2-2.30

Up around 4, snack and play then 6 dinner, 6.30 bath/shower then bed 7pm

I've been planning on removing the feed to sleep part "in the new year" but I'm finding the whole sleep training thing quite stressful...

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is nothing wrong with sleep associations. Even adults have them. My DS didn't self-settle until he was just past turning 1, but we never 'trained' him to do it, he just learned on his own. He literally just decide one day that he didn't want to be rocked or fed to sleep anymore and just wiggled out of our arms until we put him down and he just went to sleep. Sometimes he still needs some extra help, like back rubs/pats or just someone sitting in the room with him while he falls asleep but we've never had to listen to him cry himself to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 10 month routine

My DS is 10 months old.
    His routine isn't strict but roughly goes

Wake up between 5 and 6 - bottle

Plays until 7 ish and has breakfast.

Then we will go for a walk or play some more.

In to bed at around 9 with his bottle. He drinks it in bed while we read a book to him. Once he's finished he takes his dummy and puts himself to sleep.

Wakes up between 1030 and 1130.

Lunch at 12.

Play, go out (depending what's planned)

Back in bed between 3 and 4 - bottle and book. Puts himself to sleep.

Wakes up between 5 and 6.
    Has dinner around 6. Then we play and mum and dad eat dinner while DS plays in highchair at the table or eats sultanas (great distraction lol)

Usually a bath just before bed. Depending on his mood, sometimes it's in the morning if he's in a foul mood.

Usually in bed with his bottle and book between 8 and 830. Puts himself to sleep.

This is very much on a good day! Some days it's all over the joint lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Here's the routine for my 10 month old:

7am I wake him
    7:10am breastfeed
    8am brekky (fruit and cereal)
    10:00am morning tea (yoghurt)
    10:15am sleep
    12 wake and breastfeed
    1pm lunch (meat/veg or sandwich and fruit)
    2:45 afternoon tea (yoghurt)
    3-4:15pm sleep
    4:15 water drink
    5pm dinner (meat/veg and custard/yoghurt)
    6:00pm shower or bath
    6:30pm boob feed
    6:40pm active play
    7:00pm bed
    **** note if we are out and about in the morning bub might only have one sleep cycle in the pram from 10:15-11:00am. So bubs afternoon nap is then chnaged to 2-4pm.

I always put bub to bed where I expect him to sleep (no transfers) and fully awake. Bub may talk for a few minutes but puts himself to sleep. If he stirs during the night he puts himself back to sleep.

We've been on a routine since about 10 weeks and it helps self settling by ensuring bub is the right level of tired at bedtime. Too tired or not tired enough and you can be screwed.

It's true many people have sleep associations/aids. However there's a difference between a so called negative sleep aid that requires adult intervention (dummy/patting/rocking etc) and a positive sleep aid that doesn't (such as a teddy blanket). I can't be arsed spending time patting/rocking to sleep, that's just me though.

My top 3 tips to self settling:
    - watch the day naps. Too much, too close together, finish too late and bub will find self settling difficult.
    - use a teddy blanket comforter for every sleep no matter if it's in the pram/cot/car. Stop swaddling as soon as bub loses the startle reflex so the bond with the comforter becomes stronger. Don't use the comforter out of sleep time. The older bub is when you introduce a comforter/stop swaddling the harder it will be.
    - follow the eat play sleep philosophy. Don't give a feed just before sleep time. Have at least 20 mins active play between a milk feed and bed.
    M

Thanks
    Reviews
    It stresses me out too because I'm back to work full time in a couple of weeks and especially because it was hard work teaching DS to settle himself when he was young and the thought now of retraining...stresses me cos DH doesn't like the thought of him crying and thinks I should pick him up straight away when he cries and thinks it's mean.....we always argue about it!!

I know I have to teach him though because it's making me a very frustrated mum and a lot less happier.

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Self settling doesn't necessarily mean crying if you get the other things right (day naps, comforter, eat play sleep).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my little man is a bit younger and there are times when i will have to feed to sleep (even though that was never my intention) but on a good day its...

8am breakfast
    9am bottle
    11am to 1pm nap
    1pm lunch
    2pm bottle
    3pm to 4pm might have another nap or we go for a walk to pick up kids from school
    4pm small snack
    5pm dinner
    6pm bath or might go for a walk especially in the nice weather
    7pm bottle
    7:30/8pm bed
    10 (or later) late night bottle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Dd is 11 months and she doesn't have much of a set routine, in changes depending when she gets up but I have been trying to get her to sleep at the same nap times everyday.

5.30- 6.30 she wakes.

Breakfast usually with some milk to drink.

Get ready for the day and she just plays and does her own thing.

8.45-9.45 she goes down for a nap, the earlier she wakes the earlier she goes down, she's only recently starting doing this since she has started walking more, Her cot is next to my bed so I put her in there and lay in my bed next to her until she falls asleep, usually takes 5-10 mins.

Wakes up at around 10.45-11 and she has morning tea or lunch depending on the time. Then she will just play or we will go swimming.

Around 2.30 she goes down for another sleep for an hour or so and then when she wakes up she has afternoon tea. She may have 1 bottle at one of her sleeps, depends if she had milk with breakfast.

Around 5-5.30 is dinner time and then she has a shower and a play. 6.30 is she will have a bottle and sit with me for a little while and then 7-7.30 I put her in her bed and she will fall asleep ( with me in the room).

During the night I have stopped getting her out of bed when she wakes up and I just ignore, she lays back down and goes to sleep, this has only been happening the last couple of weeks, before then she would be up for hours in the night, then I got exhausted and decided enough was enough.

This is a basic run down of a day at home, she has more snacks in between meals because she's more of a grazer then into eating a full meal. If we go out, then she just sleeps when she likes in her pram.