+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default The problem with social

Question: is she actually a social worker from social services or a social worker from the hospital you had your baby at?

I was in a young mums midwifery program when pregnant and had the option of a social worker for support ( everyone is offered one, for help with things that you have mentioned, transport housing etc) I declined because for me it wasn't needed but is that perhaps who she is?

I find it strange if she is from the department of child services.
    Last edited by DreamyMummy; 31-12-2014 at 20:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    There had to be some reason why a social worker is visiting you. Are you sure everything is ok where you are? Things may not be as bad as the social worker a making out, however if you are not able to see why they are there in the first place that would concern me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There had to be some reason why a social worker is visiting you. Are you sure everything is ok where you are? Things may not be as bad as the social worker a making out, however if you are not able to see why they are there in the first place that would concern me.
    ^^^ this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    It all sounds very strange... No one can make you stay at home for 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This doesn't sound right. Speaking as someone who has worked as a Government child protection social worker, they would not be visiting without a reason, such as a child protection report being made, and would only continue to visit if they felt it was justified. Sounds like a lot of information is missing.

If you are unclear about the reason they're involved, ask for it to be explained again and perhaps written down formally.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-12-2014),TheGooch  (31-12-2014),VicPark  (31-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can defiantly assure you that there is no missing info, they're making a big thing out of nothing, and I wasn't one from the hospital she is a social worker, I wanted to go back to my mums for how ever long I felt was needed for support and she tried to send me off to some flat which was in a different county and a good couple hours drive to where I live, then her boss wanted to speak to my mum about the request for a new social worker, my mum shown up to this meeting and her boss said that I couldn't go live with my mum, didn't give a clear reason why AND this was on the day I went into labour, I was having contractions asking my mum where I was going to be living, my social worker wouldn't let me stay at my Nan's or my dad's, she wanted to put me in a flat on my own, without my partner, to 'assess me' even though they wanted family support around? Luckily I was in hospital for a week as I had quite a rough labour so it gave us time to sort a place to stay, then when a place was finally sorted I was allowed to stay at my mums again? It's not fair on me, my baby, the rest of my family or anyone!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Different county?
    Where are you from Op? I'm only familiar with Victorian Child Protection and this whole thing sounds bizarre.
    CPU literally does not have time to visit this often unless they have concerns that a parent is not acting protectively.
    If there were concerns about parenting skills or age they would offer parents community services based support such as a pregnancy and parenting program and peer support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    So you presented at the hospital early in your pregnancy and purely because you're 17, they called child services and assigned you a social worker for when you gave birth??

I'm still very confused why the social worker is around in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi stroodle77 it looks like you are posting from the UK and most members of the forum are from Australia so have different laws and regulations regarding social services which is why some seem confused

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm in the UK. While I haven't had a social worker I did have the midwives and health visitors in my council checking on me regularly because I was high risk for post-natal depression. It was a bit annoying, they would give me a day they would come but not a time so I would have to stay home and wait for them only to have them not show up until the end of the day. Surely making me stay home all day was worse for my mental state!

They mean well and are meant to be helping but I found it a very unorganized system and do not see how it could be helpful. I had a different person every time and always had to explain to them why they were still seeing me, as if that would encourage me to open up about being depressed, there's no continuity of care. We are in a different council now and it's better, the same health visitor checked on me regularly when we first moved here.

In theory the set up is a great idea but the NHS is really lacking with funding and organization so it's often a big mess.