+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Smells after birth.

So I've just given birth to a beautiful healthy boy he's about 3 days old now but I smell bad. I have stitches where I've torn and I'm bleeding still. Did anyone else smell bad down there after giving birth? Or maybe its my babies umbilical cord smelling bad and because he's always on me the smell is on me? It's uuber embarrassing but my midwife checked my stitches and I don't have an infection or anything. I'm just not sure how to get rid of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Any offensive smell is reason to get yourself checked out properly. If your stitches look clean then it's possible that it's your lochia that's offensive. It sounds gross, but when you change your pad, smell it. It should just smell like a normal period. If it's offensive it could be that there is some placenta or membranes left behind, and that is what's causing the smell. If your bleeding is still heavy it could be that something is left behind and it's stopping the uterus contracting down.

Your babies umbilical cord could also be the cause, but they don't usually smell on day 3. When the cord starts to dry and separate it can get a bit whiffy because it's essentially rotting flesh. Keep the cord stump clean and dry. If it is a bit sticky and smelly, you can use warm water and a clean face washer or ask the midwives for cotton balls and saline if you're still in hospital. Just give it a clean whenever you change a nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by TaylasWorld; 11-04-2016 at 16:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd cord stank

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could also be urine if you are leaking a bit after birth- a pungent smell. It's normal to have a bit of incontinence after the stress on your bladder/ bowel and muscles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it's a stinky smell and your pad seems a bit slimy, then get to a dr asap. I had this after my first and I had a uterine infection.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too would check your pad. Check your temp too. I had placenta left in me and it stank like sewerage leaking. I was so embarrassed. If this is the case you need to check it out asap. You may need a curet and when the uterus is soft from infection and birth it is a dangerous op if you leave it too long. I was told I was lucky not to of had a hysterectomy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much. I got my midwife to check my stitches and she said it looks fine and there's no infection. My DS's cord does smell a little but it's coming off so I was told that's normal. I'm still going to get the midwife to check it out tomorrow when she comes out.
    I'll definitely get myself checked out as well. It does smell different to a normal period. To be honest I thought I was just crazy thinking I smelt funny but you've all made me feel a lot better.