+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Road tripping with kids!

Happy new year everyone
    We will be hitting the road for our first ever road trip with the kids (3yrs & 8mth), Brisbane to Melbourne! Please hit me with your best tips, tricks and suggestions to help us make this a 'happy' trip

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll come back to this tonight, currently travelling 6000kms with 3 kids lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looking at Newell on way down and pacific on way back any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Road tripping with kids!

Lots of snacks & drinks (my 2 seem to get extra hungry when we travel in the car), some new toys/games to keep them occupied, portable DVD players or iPads with movies/TV shows (life savers!!), kids music or even stories on cd (we did a big road trip in NZ earlier in the year and the wiggles cd I remembered to pack was very handy to stop screaming), their fave comfort toy/dummy so they can sleep.
    Last edited by summastarlet; 31-12-2014 at 11:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any tips on good snacks? Trying to avoid too much sugar and salt. Thinking I'll pack a small cooler bag with supplies. Been so long since I last did long distance driving and this is the first time with kids :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    These are the snacks I took with us on our trip now:
    Baby bell mini cheeses
    Rice cakes ( take a jar of almond butter)
    Air popped pop corn
    Heaps of fruit ( apples and bananas and grapes are easy as no cutting up required and not too juicy!)
    Organic sultanas
    Mini muffins ( I made blueberry muffins the night before)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglepuss View Post
    Any tips on good snacks? Trying to avoid too much sugar and salt. Thinking I'll pack a small cooler bag with supplies. Been so long since I last did long distance driving and this is the first time with kids :/
    We live rurally so spend a lot of time travelling with kids. Our usual car snacks consist of:
    Ziplock bags of carrot, celery and cucumber sticks.
    Ziplock bags of puffed corn and popcorn.
    Freeze dried fruit - Bellamys do an apple and pear mix.
    Grapes.
    Cheese and crackers.
    Pikelets.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lots of snacks that are readily accessible but not too sugary as the last thing you want is to make it harder to sit still. Stop every few hours at a playground and let them run around. Make sure you have their favourite car music. If using cds burn a copy as sometimes the original starts skipping uncontrollably after being repeated for hours on end.

Car games like eye spy (when the kids were too young to read we used to play eye spy something green, or red etc rather than the traditional version).

An art stable table (we picked one up for a song from Big W) that can sit on the older ones lap and they can draw pictures. Ours comes with a pencil case attached to the side, and straps to hold the paper down.

An ipad or seatback dvd player for use as last resort. I find bringing it out too early can come back to bite you but its brilliant for getting through the last couple of hours of the day when they're bored with everything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice but I wish you luck we might be doing this (opposite direction though) either this year or next with four as my sister lives in Queensland

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    -Lots of cds with nursery rhymes, finger actions etc
    -A dvd player/dual screen
    -Story-book cds
    - plan stops around towns with playgrounds and kids activities eg swimming pools
    - break the trip overnight if you can
    -Aquadoodle travel pad - http://www.fishpond.com.au/Toys/Aqua...FdOUvQodvagA2g
    Last edited by Gothel; 01-01-2015 at 18:20.