+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is this the 4 month sleep regression?

So DS2 is 3 and a bit months, he is an okay sleeper, went through a bit of a catnapping phase but we got through that.
    He always goes to bed at 6pm and usually sleeps till 6am with 1-2 feeds during the night. He self settles fine usually, occasionally needs the dummy.
    Tonight he went to bed as normal, wiggled a little bit then went to sleep as normal. Then he woke up at 7pm, not crying or distressed, just wiggling around in his cot. I have tried the dummy several times, he sucks for a while them spits it out and starts wiggling again.
    Unfortunately we are away on holidays at the moment and all sleeping in the same room! DS1 and DD have fallen asleep and it doesn't seem to be bothering them, but why won't this baby go to sleep!!
    I did get him up a little while ago and check his nappy etc, which was all fine.
    He has suddenly started dribbling today too (had to change his top twice- going to have to put a bib on him type dribble) so maybe teething? Is it too early? He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
    Grrr, I could just feed him and he would probably settle and go to sleep, but he never has a feed this early, doesn't seem to be hungry as such and I'm worried about the 4 month sleep regression spiralling out of control as it did with my other 2, ie I feed him now and he starts waking for a feed at this time forever after.
    What to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub wiggles a lot. Every time he wakes he never cries - he just moves and wiggles and undoes his wrap and flaps about until I come to him! If you fed bub before he went to bed at 6 I wouldn't feed him again, just resettle him until he drifts back off. If he's still awake close to his next feed then I'd feed again. Having said that my bub seems to be extra hungry at the moment and has been waking an extra time a night the past week for another feed so perhaps that's something to consider. Also some nights he is just more unsettled - the more we have done during the day the harder it is to get him to settle down for the night.

If it's just once I wouldn't be getting worried. He may have just been disturbed by something.

ETA is he does this several nights in a row consider if he is well - my LO had an ear infection and woke every 2 hours for 2 nights until I suspected and ear infection, took him to the dr and they found it. He seemed well otherwise during the day, was just night time he couldn't settle and sleep and was not himself. HTH.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 30-12-2014 at 21:22.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (30-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids always had worse sleeps when we were away somewhere. Different environment can make them more unsettled. Perhaps it's just that?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How big is bub? I think night cycles/4 month sleep regression starts from 6kg?

Here is a good article on the regression
    https://childsleepscience.wordpress....done-about-it/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

debsch  (30-12-2014),LittleBug'sMum  (30-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    My kids always had worse sleeps when we were away somewhere. Different environment can make them more unsettled. Perhaps it's just that?
    We've been here for a couple of weeks already and he had been sleeping fine, but we have been out and about a bit more than usual the last couple of days and stuffed up his day sleeps a little so maybe it is this.

He is well over 6kg - haven't weighed him since he was 6 weeks old, but he is enormously chubby, I would guess 7-8kg, he's grown out of his 000 clothes and is wearing crawler size nappies.

I ended up giving him some Panadol, tried rocking him for a while- but that didn't work- just kept staring at me! So put him back in his cot and he has gone to sleep now.
    I also put the fan on, as it is quite hot here, so maybe that was it, too hot?
    Anyway we will see what the rest of the night brings...

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's just wiggling and not crying or distressed can you just leave him and let him be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Thanks! I think I've read that before, but good to read it again now, as I was very tempted to feed him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

This one really helped me and our bub. It's good and definitely worth a read!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    If he's just wiggling and not crying or distressed can you just leave him and let him be?
    Usually I would but as we're all sleeping in the same room I was worried about him waking DS1 and DD! Might have to rethink the sleeping arrangements tomorrow, we are staying in a 4 bedroom house, but my kids all insist on sleeping in the same room as me!