+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Student midwife

Has anyone ever used a student midwife? Or considering it? I'm only around 6week pregnant but I seems like a good opportunity, so it would be great to hear from those of you that have used them before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student midwife in the room when I gave birth. It was the first time the student had been aloud to check a babies position and do everything. I felt that so happy for her and was lovely feeling to be able to help her learn on the job. The entire time I had a qualified in the room if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a student middie along with a 40+ year experienced midwife 'coaching her'. My student was absolutely fabulous and I was more than happy to have her there. She was so calming and lovely. I'm so glad she was there. She got to do everything under thw watchful eye of the experienced midwife and assisted my OB with the birth. She was the one who took the first photos of our daughter moments after birth and after she was all cleaned up and wrapped up. Definitely look into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had one twice. The first I met when I was in labour and she delivered bub. I have no problems with her and still chat to her down the street.

The second I met while pregnant and never really clicked with. My mil also worked with her at the hospital and she disobeyed direct orders from both the midwives and doctors. This lead to problems that should not have occurred. For this reason I made the choice that she wasn't delivering my baby, in the end she wasn't even there because it all happened so quick.

I have no objections to students, I used to supervise our work experience students, but I think you need to be able to trust them and I couldn't trust my second one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a student midwife following my pregnancy. I found her via my local mums FB page. I love that she is a mum too, and she's lovely. So far it's been great having her along

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student midwife follow my pregnancy & she was lovely. I found her after she posted here on BH. She was great for answering my questions in between hospital appointments, and would always debrief and explain things in more detail after we left the appointment (I was a public patient so sometimes the midwives just wanted you in & out so you didn't get to ask many questions).
    Unfortunately she missed the birth as I went into labour in the middle of the night & she didn't hear her phone but she was there as soon as visiting hours started in the morning 😊 I definitely think it was worth it & will try get another student next time!