+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me understand intolerances.

My niece is dairy and gluten intolerant and follows very strict diets accordingly and has since she was about 5 (now 10)
    She is however very frail. Like to the point that she has fractured her elbow just falling over (i understand kids do strange things sometimes with interesting outcomes)
    But is it normal to be so underweight even when following strict diets? I thought by following the diet so strictly she would put on weight or at least look healthy, but she seems like she is looking sicker everytime I see her.

Having never had any intolerances myself or with my kids I am struggling to see how it is healthy and normal for anyone to be this frail.
    Can anyone help me understand how these intolerances work and why after years their doesn't seem to be any improvement in her health.

Sent from my MB526 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have gluten and fructose intolerance and we are good healthy size I'm a size 10 and my son 5yr old is size 6 or 7. We are healthy and strong. Once we went on the diet we were getting better by the day, took a good month but dramatically improved straight away.

Maybe she needs dietitian or doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that she needs to see a dietician. There are lots of sources of calcium besides cow's milk-based products. My son has a dairy allergy and his daily calcium needs are met with soy milk. He's recently outgrown a wheat allergy but has been wheat free until about 2 mths ago. He's a big, healthy 13kg at 17 months old. A dietician helped me to know exactly how many mg of calcium he needs per day at his age and could walk me through different configurations of foods and non-dairy milks in order to meet his needs, as this was a big concern of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How difficult for your niece and her parents. Dietary restrictions are not fun, though they can become a way of life and you don't always feel like you're missing out. I'm not sure why your niece would be underweight and frail but perhaps she is missing something in her diet (meat for example is a very good building food) or maybe there are other undiagnosed dietary sensitivities.

To my understanding an intolerance means you can eat small amounts at times without a reaction but a food allergy always has a reaction. I have intolerance to wheat and dairy (and try to eat paleo) however have had skin prick testing and they are not allergens.