+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Sleeping too much?

I know this is a good 'problem' to have, but I'm concerned DS is sleeping too much.

He is 3 months and goes down anywhere between 6:30 and 9:30pm and sleeps until anywhere between 6:00 and 8:00 with 1 or 2 wake ups (of between half an hour and 1.5 hours awake each time - includes feeding and settling back to sleep)

He can be awake for a max if 2 hours then gets tired. A typical day he will say wake at 7ish, goes down at 9ish and sleeps for 3 hours (usually), then 2 hours awake time, then back down at 2ish for another 2-3 hours, then 2-3 hours awake and back to sleep for the night.

So in total he would on average get 16-18 hours every 24 hours. Is that too much? He only ever really has 2 naps a day, which I find odd for his age. He also will only sleep in the car if he's been awake for 3/4 hours and no longer sleeps in his pram.

I'm just worried he's not having enough time awake for his development or health, as he is mostly alert when awake but gets tired easily and fusses most of the time he's awake. I mean it will probably all turn to crap at 4 months and I'll wish I have this 'problem' again. Apologies if this offends anyone who has trouble with their baby's sleep. My DD was an absolute rubbish sleeper but I'm not sure if she was the norm or DS is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was very similar, by 4 months corrected she was sleeping through the night and would have 2-3 long naps per day without a lot of awake time between, probably 2 hours max. I recall being similarly concerned but it turned out not to be a problem or anything to worry about at all, in fact it really was the opposite in hind sight!! So long as they're getting short bursts of the correct developmental activities when they are awake (ie tummy time) then that's what's important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My little one is 4mths and is still very up and down with his day sleeping. He sleeps well at night either sleeping through or waking just once and he has been that way since birth. He doesn't sleep For long periods during the day some days, he is a bit of a catnapper but then some days he will sleep a lot, possibly he is catching up when he has a few days he catnaps. I haven't really bothered too much with getting him into a day routine yet though but will do when we get back from holidays end of Jan. he will happily sleep in his pram, bouncer or anywhere but his own bed during the day which is good because we are always out and about at mothers group, playgroup, kids sports etc. He's a very happy and content little man though. Typically he goes down at 7pm and will wake at 6am and then will be ready for a nap by 9am. I try to only keep him up for a max of 2.5hrs.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 30-12-2014 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 3 months and probably has similar amount of sleep. He goes 6pm - 6am with 1 wake up for feed (approx 30mins) then has a sleep 8am-10am and 12pm- 2pm then a nap from 3:30-4ish.
    He struggles to be awake for 2 hours at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like mine. He's 3.5 months - goes to bed for the night between 7-8pm, will sleep til 5.30/6am with generally one (occasionally 2 - an extra one around 4ish) wake up around 2-3am. He sleeps 2-3 hours in the morning, then sleeps just after lunch for another couple of hours, and has a short nap before the night routine. I don't have a set routine and some days he sleeps more, some less - I don't really worry too much at this point. 2 hours awake time is really pushing it for my little guy. 1.5 hours is better for him at the moment. Remember they are still very little and are growing very fast so need a lot of sleep. If he is alert and interested when awake, generally happy (even though they fuss a bit - mine fusses too!) and is feeding well, I wouldn't worry
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 30-12-2014 at 20:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About the same here. Bub is awake about 2 hours then goes down for a 1.5-2.5 hour nap then awake again for another 2 hours, then another nap, then awake then I put her down for a quickie 1/2 hour nap before dinner & bed at 7pm-ish and she sleeps through to 5-6am when she feeds and then wakes up with the rest of us at around 7am. She's 5 months now but at 3 months her awake time was 1.5hours max. Total opposite to our 1st bub who turned into a 20minute cat-napper and woke numerous times during the night for feeds.