+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flat feet & turned in ankles on toddler

Our boy's ankles turn in slightly and his feet have no arches. Can this kind of thing fix itself? We have asked a couple of doctors about it and they don't seem too worried about it. He's two and only started walking at 19 months.
    IMG_5245-001.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dd2 looks like this, she is 2.5 and like your ds was a late walker (about 18/19 months). Tbh i have never asked a dr about it, and none of the drs we have seen have ever mentioned it so I really dont know if its something to be worried about. If you arw worried, maybe take him to a podiatrist?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 2 and does this too.

"Children begin to walk anywhere between eight and 18 months of age. Most toddlers are flat-footed when they first start walking, or tend to turn their feet inwards, because muscle strength and ligament stiffness needs to catch up to other development. The flat-footedness nearly always improves as the feet strengthen.

Always see your podiatrist or doctor if you are concerned about your child’s feet or gait."

http://m.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhc..._children?open

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014),SheWarrior  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 5 and has flat feet, we went to a podiatrist for about 12 months and it was EXPENSIVE! Spent well over $1000 and no cover from my PHI. He was given insole things to put in his shoes, splints to wear to bed (which I had to fight him to put on, then he would take off during the night) and some exercises to do. After a year TBH I don't see much difference. I started taking him because he was waking up with leg pains, and he still gets them about as often as he was.
    I have also been to a dr and a physiotherapist who did a really thorough assessment (for only $80) and came to the conclusion that he has poor core strength and flat feet, but still within the realms of what is normal.
    Just beware of the podiatrist, they will probably take your money, but if it is something that actually needs to be fixed is another question.
    Not sure where you are, but in QLD I think you can get a free referral to a physiotherapist via your CHN if your baby is under 2 I think. Or if you're in Brisbane I can pass on the details of the physiotherapist we saw privately she was awesome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter had terrible pronation due to her muscle tone and related syndrome. See picture.
    Obviously because she's had tons of medical intervention due to her syndrome we've been to podiatrist and physio etc. Because hers is so bad she does wear special leg braces (ankle feet orthotics). Looking at the pic you've posted his feet are quite mild... But I'm not a dr/physio. I have been told is very normal for kids to have this and as they start improving with walking the muscle strength develops. And they slowly turn in.
    I would document with pictures so you can see if it improves.
    There is a great podiatrist in Brisbane specifically for kiddos. ... He won't fleece you for money but might recommend some insert for shoes. In the meantime find some very good shoes that have a enclosed heel area that is firm and supportive with proper soles. Think bobux Clarks Ecco brands.
    I would talk to your Dr if you are worried. I was told by the physio that it doesn't hurt them or anything. It didn't seem to bother my daughter.
    Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mmmmm I wouldn't think the pics posted here are normal. I say that because my 4 month old's slightly turned in foot was detected as an area of concern by the health nurse who refered him for physio. His foot is much better after having physio the past weeks. I would definitely seek advice of a professional if my toddlers foot/feet were turned in or if flat footed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to get a referral to a physio therapist for early intervention. It could be early walking gait, or could indicate muscle tone abnormalities, either of which need assessment and regular physio treatment. Child development service can organise this for you or you can do privately.

I say this as my now 3yo used to walk like this and now has problems with her hips because of it (she does have mild cerebral palsy tho)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LysnDan For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're in qld... which I think you are you don't need a referral for a physio. I can recommend an amazing physio who works at the children's hospital and mobile.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is why I love bubhub!! Thanks so much for sharing and for all the information. We're not in Brisbane but I do have a referral for something else to a paediatrician that we'll use in the new year. Will add this to my list of concerns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! I hope the paed is helpful with what action to take.