+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to crash, also not a single parent, but I also meet my husband online 5 years ago and we are now married with a 1.5yo. He is such a wonderful man and an awesome father. I actually didn't have any bad dates, just didn't have that 'spark' with any of them until DH. My aunty met her now DH on eharmony about 3 years ago after getting divorced, she was a single mum with 3 kids. She's never been happier, her new DH is truly her soulmate. I know so many who have met their DP/DH online. You just have to ignore the sleazy messages and search for the good ones

Best of luck x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with it, no advice but I know people who've met on rsvp. So they can't all be weirdos!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did the online dating thing. I met my x-DH through yahoo one. My last two ex-bf have been through Oasis.
    I had ok dates but only a few I clicked with.
    Just keep chatting with them and meet up for a coffee. Ask friends or family to babysit.

I'm not interested in dating right now as too much other stuff to do, but I'd do online again when the time feels right.

Good luck!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. After receiving the few sleazy msg's last night, I was about to delete my account. Maybe I'll stick with it a little longer - it can't hurt! It would be nice if the man of my dreams ran into me at the local shops but I don't think that's going to happen! I'm really ready now to get out there and see what's on offer but the msg's last night asking for casual hookups was really off putting. I'll take your inspirational stories and see what happens and will keep you posted. 😉

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAG242 For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of lovely stories here about how single people met their partners; similar to what I cop all the time off IRL single friends who met their partners online.... all lovely, yes, but people don't seem to understand that dating as a single PARENT is a completely different situation. How is one supposed to go on many different dates to meet a bunch of men, when they have a child at home at not many babysitters to choose from? Then when they find a guy who seems nice, have a babysitter enough times to try and foster that relationship? That's what the OP was asking about.

Sorry to get narky about this, but it's just that I have so many well-meaning friends who constantly seem in disbelief that I don't have a boyfriend yet, since all I need to do is jump online like they did. When the h3ll do I have the time for that? And the babysitters?

Vent over!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (26-05-2015),JAG242  (28-12-2014),shelle65  (28-12-2014),Starfish30  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is how I date. Background ive always been a 100% parent so going on dates is hard work and an effort. I usually meet them online on paid website like eharmony currently using and talk for a while pick the one I get along with the most and get my parents to babysit a few times to go on dates with them, once im comfortable with them and my son goes to bed I have them over for late dinners and movie nights. Then when they meet my son I keep it light mummy friend. When we officially date I relax a little more. My son has gotten attached to a few but he is fine and forgets them quickly when we dont see them anymore.

It's not easy and doesn't work for everyone but it's the only way I have time to date and get to know someone. Hope this helps

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superbuns For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (26-05-2015),JAG242  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dating - how on earth do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Lots of lovely stories here about how single people met their partners; similar to what I cop all the time off IRL single friends who met their partners online.... all lovely, yes, but people don't seem to understand that dating as a single PARENT is a completely different situation. How is one supposed to go on many different dates to meet a bunch of men, when they have a child at home at not many babysitters to choose from? Then when they find a guy who seems nice, have a babysitter enough times to try and foster that relationship? That's what the OP was asking about.

Sorry to get narky about this, but it's just that I have so many well-meaning friends who constantly seem in disbelief that I don't have a boyfriend yet, since all I need to do is jump online like they did. When the h3ll do I have the time for that? And the babysitters?

Vent over!
    This is very true.

I met my DP online as a single parent with a child in my care 100%. We have been together for over two years now and just welcomed our DD into our lives. I was very lucky to have a friend who would babysit my DS for me. I went on so many dates and it got so hard when it wouldn't work out and having to go back to square one after investing time into building a companionship. I felt like such a burden on my friend having to ask her to baby sit. It was very fortunate though that her boys and my DS absolutely adored each other and she always said it was such a pleasure to have him over as it kept her boys entertained. I would always slip her some cash as a thank you and to help out with any food or anything that DS would eat as she was doing it tough with her DH out of work and I had the capacity working full time on a fairly good income. I also would look after her boys if her and DH needed a night off to go out as a couple. It was just such an awesome arrangement and I am forever grateful to her and her DH as without that support I wouldn't have been able to build a relationship with DP and we wouldn't be where we are now.

I would use a reputable, paid site for online dating. When you have kids you don't want to be wasting time with people that aren't really serious about meeting to build a relationship.
    Last edited by Ra Ra Superstar; 28-12-2014 at 11:31.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was a single parent to DD1 who was 11mths old when i started dating DH.
    At first i got my mum to babysit but then as i wanted to see him more often i found a babysitter thru some friends so i didnt feel like i was using my mum too much.

Was 2mths of dating before i allowed him to meet DD1 which then made things a bit easier as he could then hang at my house so i didnt have to get babysitters quite as often

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    When i started dating my dp, we would go to an activity with my kids and best friend or he would come over after the kids were in bed.

We met at a cosplay event i was hosting and loved his costume so that was the ice breaker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I met my df online over 4yrs ago. I was fortunate that ds would spend some time with his dad alternate weekends so it gave me some time to spend on my own or with now df when I could.

We now are happily engaged, mortgage with our own dd1 - the works. : )
    I did wait a long time before ds met df. I wanted to be sure it was the real deal first.

You do get a few weirdos msging you. But it's not hard to get a feel for people pretty quickly.

Gold luck OP!