+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfed baby not taking bottle

Hi, my 10 month old is refusing bottle and sippy cup of formula. I'm about to start working and I'm desperate for ideas.
    I'm breastfeeding so I would like to mix feed but nothing is working. I don't want to express as I just don't have the time.
    I've tried different formula's and different bottles. I'm desperate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried having other people give bub the formula when you aren't around? Maybe do a trial for the amount of time you'd be away and see whether bubs carer has success with either a bottle or sippy cup.
    What hours are you working? How many feeds will you need to replace?
    Will bub take water?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

moosey  (28-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How long are you gone for? 10 months "most" babies can go 8 hours without a breastfeed and you just replace with solids and can offer cows milk or even water in a cup/sippy if you're not around (you can start introducing cows milk on cereal etc from 6 months so it's ok)

My bf dd NEVER took a bottle, I tried all the tricks. She had a few sips of cows milk but mostly drank water from a sippy style cup and had solids for feeds if I wasn't around. It didn't have any negative impact either I'm still bf at 23 months she just goes without whilst I'm at work

Expect your breasts to be rock hard though and your baby to rip at your chest when you get home for the first few weeks or so lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

moosey  (28-12-2014),VicPark  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    How long are you gone for? 10 months "most" babies can go 8 hours without a breastfeed and you just replace with solids and can offer cows milk or even water in a cup/sippy if you're not around (you can start introducing cows milk on cereal etc from 6 months so it's ok)

My bf dd NEVER took a bottle, I tried all the tricks. She had a few sips of cows milk but mostly drank water from a sippy style cup and had solids for feeds if I wasn't around. It didn't have any negative impact either I'm still bf at 23 months she just goes without whilst I'm at work

Expect your breasts to be rock hard though and your baby to rip at your chest when you get home for the first few weeks or so lol
    Thanks! I'll be gone for 8-10hrs. It's good to know he can go without. I'm working for 3 days a week so hopefully we can still pick it up on those days I'm at home.

For my own piece of mind I wouldn't mind hearing any other tricks from anyone else who may have them. I'm feeling so stressed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Have you tried having other people give bub the formula when you aren't around? Maybe do a trial for the amount of time you'd be away and see whether bubs carer has success with either a bottle or sippy cup.
    What hours are you working? How many feeds will you need to replace?
    Will bub take water?
    Yes, DH has tried a few times. He isn't great with the sippy cup of water but I'll keep encouraging it.

I'm working 8-4.30 so he will miss two feeds. But I'll pick those up again on the days I'm home.