+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How annoying for you OP. I can't stand being given stuff that's not wanted or needed. I absolutely appreciate the sentiment but having a house of things that aren't used is such a waste of money. We have set up a bank account for DS that we will be depositing into and family are welcome to deposit too for birthdays, Xmas if they want to instead of gifts.

DS (3 mo) was spoilt, but luckily no one went overboard. I had to have a very stern convo with my mum recently because she had bought DS ridiculous amounts of things, but she has finally listened and got him a few nice things for Christmas rather than going overboard. I've been pretty vocal on people not buying loads of plastic toys, so he received books, a nursery rhyme cd, some cute personalized things with his name, an outdoor baby swing, and some parent approved toys from us I'm so glad people listened! I'm trying to get this nipped in the bud before it starts.

Agree with pp too, wooden toys all the way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    After having this same problem with the inlaws we now get DSD and DSS to write a letter to Santa early - they normally write about 10 things each. We then allocate people to presents ie one each. Inevitably they get extra little things but it's helped a lot!

We also write down what they get from who and get them to do a thank you card if they can write or for the 6 year old he has to do a picture. It makes them be more grateful. We also do a big clean out of toys pre Xmas and go to the local hospital to donate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Excited1 View Post
    After having this same problem with the inlaws we now get DSD and DSS to write a letter to Santa early - they normally write about 10 things each. We then allocate people to presents ie one each. Inevitably they get extra little things but it's helped a lot!

We also write down what they get from who and get them to do a thank you card if they can write or for the 6 year old he has to do a picture. It makes them be more grateful. We also do a big clean out of toys pre Xmas and go to the local hospital to donate.
    What great ideas! I had no idea hospitals took toy donations

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Excited1  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm firm- no presents and they put money into there accounts

Sounds grinch like but last year we had same problem 3 activity tables both bff, mil too I was like omg!! So they buy something useful eg bonds voucher. Yes kids won't like it but meh 😂 that's what birthdays are for

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-12-2014)

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I do the rotating thing. The majority will get put away and taken out a few things at a time. Although this year was awesome. Everyone asked if the kids needed anything and I gave them a few ideas. And they stuck to it!! So lots of books, crafts and outdoor toys.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've packed up a few things when DD wasn't looking and put them away. I'll bring them out when she gets cranky later on down the track...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I initially said to everyone not to buy too many presents for my little one
    But then I decided not to let it bother me. If it makes their Christmas better because they got to buy my baby a gift then great.
    We ended up only buying a handful of Presents for her so it saved us money and made them happy.
    We also have a rotation system- we still haven't used all the things we were bought when she was born.
    Our plan is to keep everything in its packaging so if by next christmas it has not made its way into the rotation we can donate it to the wishing tree.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to believe For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-12-2014),Maxwell's Silver Hammer  (27-12-2014),Purple Lily  (27-12-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    as a first time grandma i admit i went over board for my GS 6 months and you know what..i dont care in the slightest..........90% of it will stay here for when he comes to visit, the rest they will take home...... i kept the same tradition my grandma set up for me and my mum set up for my 2 kids .......... something to read, something to wear and something to keep forever....... plus i threw in many extras..... ..

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (27-12-2014),Purple Lily  (27-12-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (27-12-2014)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    you know you can always just smile, nod then go donate the lot.
    I think this is a bit cruel to be honest. The child has already been given the toy, how awful to then give them away. Maybe not the 12 week old, but the 3 year old shouldn't have their new toys taken away straight after receiving them.

I don't agree with overboard gift-giving for the kids, by the way, but there has to be a kinder solution for the kiddies. Perhaps putting older toys up in a cupboard and then rotating. Or donating older toys that they don't play with much.

OP - I can understand your frustration. My Mum and the kids father go very overboard. We compensate by giving very little to them and asking my sisters and Dad to just give books (can never have too many books) or something small and crafty.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-12-2014),Starfish30  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    as a first time grandma i admit i went over board for my GS 6 months and you know what..i dont care in the slightest..........90% of it will stay here for when he comes to visit, the rest they will take home...... i kept the same tradition my grandma set up for me and my mum set up for my 2 kids .......... something to read, something to wear and something to keep forever....... plus i threw in many extras..... ..

I think first time grandma's get a free pass! Must have been an exciting time for you