+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Anyone else's children get too many presents?

So again, despite us pleading with our families to not go overboard on the gifts, they've overdone it.

DD is 3 in March and DS is 12 weeks old and they were just given so much. DS is clearly none the wiser and DD didn't care for any of her presents, she just put them down and went to play outside with her uncles.

So not only has everyone wasted their money, it's a waste of resources, it's all cluttering our house which I'm trying to declutter as we are selling it early next year.

We told everyone last year they bought too much, but no one listened.... I don't want my kids thinking material things are the key to a happy life, Christmas should be about good food, time with family and a couple of treats that they need or want and will actually use and appreciate. I know many of you will be thinking I'm being very ungrateful. But all I can think of are the poor kids out there who get nothing for Christmas, yet my kids who want for nothing in their lives (they have enough 'things' but also have so many people in their lives who love and adore them) get so much superfluous stuff.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, I guess part vent and part looking for others who may be in the same boat to share frustrations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    you know you can always just smile, nod then go donate the lot.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-12-2014),Best Things  (26-12-2014),delirium  (26-12-2014),Purple Lily  (26-12-2014),Qwerty  (26-12-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-12-2014),snowqu33n  (26-12-2014),Tamtam  (26-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. The major thing that bothers me is that whole, rip open gift, look at it for 3 seconds then onto the next. Next year I will try to slow them down a bit, go through each gift with them, exclaim over it, thank the giver etc, but yes we were given more than I would like.
    And too much plastic. Yes there are more immediate issues in life than plastic, yes it is everywhere and easy to buy. But nice wooden toys are now everywhere too - and it's not about the money, in this case the giver could easily go with one good quality toy instead of multiple cheap crappy destined-into-landfill ones.
    I think it's just a matter of changing habits. We're going to chat to grandparents and givers and go with a clothes-books-wooden stuff only rule. And if they'd prefer to give nothing, that's fine too!
    So I hear ya, OP. It's touchy ground, but I don't see the benefit of needing to own or receive all the things. And I don't see any good reason why people refuse to change old habits now that we all know better.
    (Coming from a mum who bought her kid's Christmas fairy dress direct from China this year... I'll do better next year ).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to admit, I used to be guilty of this before kids! Every birthday and Christmas I would spoil my niece and nephew with hundreds of dollars worth of gifts! None was plastic crap, they were all very good quality toys, clothes, books & dvds. But just soooooo much stuff! This year while driving to my family Christmas it occurred to me that my brother & his partner were probably cringing each year as they watched me walk in with arms laden with gifts. I knew they were always appreciative, but I don't know how they handled the amount of stuff the kids got.

Since we all now have kids and mortgages we've actually made it a rule that its one gift for each kid and no more than $50 worth. Which is just as well as we have a tiny house! So this Xmas was great, no excess cr@p! Yay!

His birthday was another matter though! Soooo many presents from friends and extended family

7. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I will definitely be re-gifting and donating most of the gifts, I just don't like having to do that every single year. I just think of how hard it's going to be for my kids to buy a house or afford university (if that's what they choose) the money would be better saved for them in a bank account or even just donated to charity.

And soft toys - really!? You only need so many!

To be honest I think it's more the people buying them to feel good that they're giving the kids heaps of presents, but if they won't use or appreciate them, why bother?? I asked the grand parents (when they asked) to put their money together and buy an outside swing set and a zoo membership, but nope - we got a bunch of little things that are already forgotten the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a firm believer in giving what is needed and wanted, so I always ask my siblings what their children need

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilyloubelle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-12-2014),Sally1981  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We were asked too and I said NO toys. Books, clothes, craft supplies, experiences are okay - but this was completely ignored.

MIL bought 3 month old DS an activity table - we already have 2 and she knows this! She's seen them - she bought DD one of them!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    God yes! I am so annoyed at my MIL for doing this! She brought around 8, yes 8, individually wrapped presents for DS who is 2. That's more than what Santa & DH & I got him! All of them plastic crap toys which will get lost under couches & shoved in the bottom of the toy box. I told her she went way over the top (in a nice way) but she didn't say anything in reply. I've told DH he needs to give her a max of 3 present limit in future.

To be fair I'm probably more annoyed at her cos she chose to go to Xmas dinner with her friends rather than come to ours for a family one! WTF. And then she rocks up at 12.30pm wanting to give DS all his gifts when she knows full well that's around nap time! Grrrr! Poor kid could only last about 20mins before he needed to go down. But sorry, I'm digressing, this sounds like a spin off thread.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to McBecks For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who in their right mind gives a 23 month old a pump action water gun! It's bigger than his 7yr old brother can handle. Cheap thoughtless junk. And that was from mil! So much for the 1 gift per person per child. Do they ever listen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A friend of mine, when she's gotten too much from a kids' b'day party or similar, puts most of them away for a later date and then rotates the kids' toys so that they have time to focus on and enjoy one or two toys, then a few months later she'll put those ones away (or give them away) and get a couple of other "new" ones out instead.