+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1 week old and a dummy

My 1 week old fusses on the boob after shes finished feeding.
    She also fusses and then decides she's not hungry as the start of other feeds.
    just wondering if maybe giving her a dummy will help her settle and then she will realise when she is hungry and then feed better.
    Anyone else given a dummy to their little one at such a young age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't able to breast feed so I can't help with that however I did give DD a dummy on day 2 because she is comfort sucker. She is 4 months now and only has a dummy when she goes to bed, once she falls into a deep sleep she spits it out and it stays out the rest of the night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't going to use a dummy for my DD but she was a comfort sucker and would use me constantly which only exhausted me even more. At 14 days old I caved and she never spat it out unless she was in a deep sleep. We breastfed successfully for 7 months. She suffered colic so helped settle her. She's now 3 yo and ditched the dummy at about 2.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I gave my little one a dummy within the first few days but only really for sleep time. I found my LO fussed most at the breast when he needed to burp. He was also a comfort sucker and whilst he was really tiny, I just let him do it. It won't be be forever and they do settle, you both will work your groove out and if you think a dummy might be the answer, then give it a try and see how you go. Good luck mummy and congrats on the new baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. She has currently been feeding for the last 45minutes. Pretty sure shes just comfort sucking after this length of time, so it looks like little miss R is getting a dummy from Santa tomorrow!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The often cluster feed too. DD1 cluster feed for a couple of weeks. I just rode it out. It is completely normal though. I chose not to use dummies with my children so I'm not able to give advice on that aspect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a dummy from a few days old. Same reason as the others - he's a huge comfort sucker, and he wanted to stay on me for hours. He would get cranky though because he wanted to suck without getting milk and it was also making me sore. He happily took it and I'm still exclusively BF. He's 3 months and I use it for car trips and sleeps. He also spits it out when he's fast asleep and doesn't need it back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first two babies refused the dummy, but my third needed it day 1.. He was fussing and all that would settle him was offering my knuckle to suck on while we were in the hospital still. Brought out the dummy and all is great! He's 18mo now and likes a dummy, I have no issues with it - he won't have it forever