+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Expressed breastmilk storage options

I am currently exclusively expressing breastmilk to feed my 10 week old DS. I never thought I'd get to this point, but my supply has now got to the point where I'm able to freeze some EBM!

I am currently using Medela milk storage bags for freezing EBM, but they're expensive (about $22 - 30 for 20 bags, depending on where you buy them), and i was wondering if there are other or better/cheaper options out there for storing frozen EBM that someone could recommend? It's much harder now w DS to get out to the shops to see what's available! I assume that regular ziplock bags are no good because they're not sterile?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Swisspers from chemist warehouse online

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually I just googled them. They're not at chemist warehouse but you could just google swisspers breast milk bags

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Ebay - I got some French ones. Oooh lala! They are cheap, bpa free etc. Honeysuckle brand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to buy little bpa free cups with lids from a store that sold packaging and catering supplies.

I would sterilise them before use in Milton solution, and to be safe I wouldn't re-use the cups - single use only.

I didn't know much about breastmilk bags at the time, they do seem like a good idea (and less landfill than my cups ). Still, it's an option for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I used to freeze EBM in an ice cube tray (with cling wrap over the top to protect while freezing) then pop the cubes into freezer bags and tie them off and use a maker to write the date on the handle bit. Cheap as. MCHN gave me that tip and it worked great for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    Swisspers from chemist warehouse online
    I'm using these bags, much cheaper than the medala bags and I think got them instore from chemist warehouse or the other "discount" chemist a month or so ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used Apre storage bags. They were much cheaper than Medela and better. I had to buy a pack of Medela bags while I was waiting for a delivery and so many of them broke when I was undoing the snaplock or leaked while defrosting.

I got the Apre bags off ebay and, from memory, they're $30ish for 100 x 350ml bags
    Last edited by atomicmama; 24-12-2014 at 08:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use ziplock bags.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Mod-xkwzit  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use ziplock bags too. They aren't "sterile" but they are clean. I just don't touch the inside. I write the date and quantity on the outside and lay them flat in a container in the freezer so they are easy to defrost. I also freeze in 50ml lots so we don't waste the liquid gold! I'm not 100% sure about breast milk specific bags, but unless they are individually packaged, then sterility is lost as soon as you open the box. I can't justify paying that much for breast milk specific ones. I'm a cheap a$$, lol.