+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by CompareTheMeerkat; 24-12-2014 at 12:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    Bahaha!!! I'm so bad at booze!!! I blame being pregnant and breastfeeding for the past 12 months.
    Hahaha! I am the same, was reading through the posts thinking I have no idea what's what when it comes to liquor...vodka I know, but the other stuff? It's all brown (I think) so maybe it's all sort of similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH's family used to do secret santa every year (which I loved as it's easier and cheaper focusing on one present so you can put more effort into it and have a set amount). Anyways, this particular year the limit was only $30 instead of $50 as a few family members were short on money which was completely fine. But my MIL decided to get me a box of darrell lea lollies (which was great) but with it she gave me what she called a 'hot water bottle to use at that time of the month' (in front of everyone mind you). It was actually one of those soft plastic drink bottles that you can fold away. I didn't have the heart to tell her so I just went along with it.

The worst part is that in the 5 christmas' I've been with DH we have only actually done secret santa twice. The rest has been too hard financially so our IL's decided they won't be 'doing christmas'. I understood the first year it happened and we ended up putting in with DHs brother and sister and got them a present and paid for dinner and made it all as a thank you and our way of helping out so we could all still celebrate Christmas. But the past two years there has been no reason (financial or otherwise) as to why but they just aren't 'doing it'. I get that things can be hard but it's not hard to save $20 for an event that you get 12mths notice for is it? We suggested the $20 limit last year and thought it could be fun but the idea was put aside and 'forgotten'. This yr we haven't even bothered mentioning it. I'm wondering what will happen once our bub is here next year. I know I sound horrible but trust me there is more to the story too and my rant is more than justified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not really fussed with presents/ I'm perfectly happy to receive nothing.
    Junky presents only bother me when the gift-giver expects you to keep the present, and keeps asking what it is. MIL has given us some strange things over the years... a massive koala fridge magnet holding a thermometer; a gigantic cake that neither my partner nor I would eat; clothes about 4 sizes too big.

The best one though was MIL's present for DP about 4 years ago. His sister, who was about 8 at the time, was so excited...kept saying how much he'd love the present their mum got him as he'd always wanted one. Finally he opens up this present to find a WWF wrestling figurine. Basically a muscly doll wearing underwear. Stares at it blankly. MIL goes on to explain that "you always wanted one as a kid. You'd spend ages looking at them in he shops and beg for one, but I never had the money". DP swears that he has never in his life had an interest in wrestling or WWF figurines. The wrestling guy still lives on our mantlepiece as SIL kept asking where he was...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

JessiW  (24-12-2014),VicPark  (24-12-2014)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I got given a cupcake holder...which is ok but I'm not sure what plastic it is made out of - it looks pretty cheap quality. And I rarely make cupcakes! And some air freshner/scent. Not something I would ever use.

Ds keeps getting duplicate presents, great gifts but we already have them so its quite annoying.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really get presents but until a few years ago, my mother would give me a few little bits and pieces.

Every year without fail this would include
    - nail clippers
    - glittery, fluffy scrunchies and headbands.
    - a set of dice
    - some of those jumbo pencils.

It was quite bizarre, given that the last year she gave me these I was 21.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As kids we only got 1 present each. I was so excited a few days before Christmas because a box appeared under the tree with my name on it which looked like the Operation game that I desperately wanted. On Christmas Eve day my dad's friend and his kids turned up. Dad unwrapped my present so they could play my new game. I then had no present to open on Christmas Day. Kind of took the shine off my new game. Another Christmas I really wanted a skipping rope. So disappointed when my dad (tight a**) gave me a piece of rope from a hardware store with a knot tied at each end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got told the other day that my gift I usually give to each of my in laws is crap and not to bother by my BIL. So this year no gift for him. I don't know why it's considered crap though. I put together a big gift bag of homemade cakes and biscuits and baked treats. He says its crap because he thinks I don't have to spend much on ingredients but it takes me sooo long to make all the things I include and I don't have heaps of money to spend on everyone (DHs family is huge). Never mind he never buys anyone else a present. Would you consider this a crap pressie or am I being a hormonal pregnant lady?

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    I got told the other day that my gift I usually give to each of my in laws is crap and not to bother by my BIL. So this year no gift for him. I don't know why it's considered crap though. I put together a big gift bag of homemade cakes and biscuits and baked treats. He says its crap because he thinks I don't have to spend much on ingredients but it takes me sooo long to make all the things I include and I don't have heaps of money to spend on everyone (DHs family is huge). Never mind he never buys anyone else a present. Would you consider this a crap pressie or am I being a hormonal pregnant lady?

I certainly wouldn't consider that a crap present!! I think it's really thoughtful and would appreciate all the time you'd put in. I think it's a bit rude to tell someone that you don't appreciate their gift and not to bother! Poor etiquette! It's ok to have a giggle about it when you get home, or chuck it out or whatever. But you should show the giver your gratitude no matter what!

I guess 'crap' is in the eye of the beholder, but no, I don't think your gift is crap at all.

But look on the bright side, less baking fot you to do this year!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (28-12-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (25-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post

I think your BIL's head is in his butt.
    That's an awesome present. I've be thrilled to get something like that.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-12-2014),amyd  (25-12-2014),ArthurDent  (25-12-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (28-12-2014),btmacxxx  (25-12-2014),Cicho  (25-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (25-12-2014),~Marigold~  (25-12-2014)