+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My MIL (who I love) once gave me an electric toothbrush for Christmas. Seemed random.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    The worst thing my IL's ever did at Christmas was one year my kids opened their present and my oldest (she was 5/6 at the time and soooo excited about her first present) got something she hated and she burst in to tears from disappointment. It was a bit awkward, and I explained to her that her aunty and uncle just thought they'd like it (lies...SIL bought it because she thought it's something she would like her daughter to play with...did not think about my daughter at all...she said the first part as her reason for buying it). Anyway, I asked SIL where it was from. K-Mart. Sweet. I told DD we could take it and exchange it for something she liked after Christmas. SIL insisted that she would do it and make a big deal about how she'd swap it for something else and bring her her present wrapped, asking DD what she would like etc. We have never seen it. DD still brings it up. They never even gave her back the original present, just essentially gave her nothing. I got DH to ask them for months and months to either give us the toy, or to get something else, because DD kept asking and SIL had made the biggest fuss about how she would do it. In the end BIL just laughed at DH and said 'yeah right, like we're bothering with that now.'
    Now I know that DD should have just accepted the present with a bit more gratitude, and we talked about it and she has never done it again...but she was 5 or 6 years old FFS.
    On top of this every single year we go to a birthday party for my nephew that falls 4 days after my DD2's birthday. Every single year we give our nephew a present and every single year my DD2 gets nothing for her birthday even though they make this big deal about her birthday on the party day. They're so effin weird.
    That's probably something I would do. Maybe not with a 5 year old but I could picture doing that to my 7 year old nephew who once shouted "booorriiinnnng" when he opened a gift from us.

You kid although young was a little rude. If my kid did that I would tell him he is not getting a replacement gift. Great lesson in etiquette for him. From your attack of the sisters present choice I'm not sure you would agree though..,,The inlaws were rude (sort of?) in not replacing the gift after they said they would. I would call it even.
    Last edited by VicPark; 23-12-2014 at 21:36.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (24-12-2014),atomicmama  (24-12-2014),Lillynix  (24-12-2014),Whirligig  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My in laws always give us amazing gifts. Last year I got nice Purfume, Lorna Jane workout gear, country road thongs etc... Amazing!

My parents on the other hand give the crappiest gifts ever. I homesy would rather they didn't bother getting presents for us, the kids maybe but don't worry about us. I've politely told them not to worry about us but they always do (which is lovely of them but still)

So we got our package today(they live interstate) the kids got a egg that you put in water and it cracks open with a growing pirate or fairy (kids liked it but one had a hole in it when we got it out the pack and the other got a hole in it when ds 5yo dropped it. They looked like cheap crappy ones from the cheap store (my parents fav shop) my DH and I both got perfume things and they are those horrible $5 ones from the cheap shop that only a nana could bare to wear. I've put them in our salvos donation box already.

Also all things sent to us from their house stink like cigarette smoke, as they smoke 30+ cigarettes a day mostly in their house with the windows closed. They are 70 & 73. It's so sad.

So nice of them to send something but it's such a waste and I've asked them so many times to please not worry about it or save presents for when we come visit etc. I'm so thankful to have them and really do think they are so lovely for thinking of us but you have to admit they do qualify for the crappiest gifts 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last year my family put lots of effort into making home made Christmas presents, then my nephews mother bought these cheap crappy frames online for $5 for everyone in the family. No thought went into this and my brothers was already broken. The next day we took ours to good sammys and im pretty sure everyone else did the same. They were just horrible cheap plastic frames.

After she opened her gifts I think she felt really bad and said she wanted to do home made gifts next year... and since then she has been knitting blankets and has made jam for this year. Will be interesting to see what we receive.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by curlybird; 23-12-2014 at 22:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This year I am getting washing baskets from my mil. I'm sure she is convinced that more baskets will mean I will fold my washing. Hah, fil has been told that several more hours in the day will mean I fold my washing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dread opening gifts from my MIL. She always buys DS all sorts of random second hand clothing, toys and knickknacks that are usually a) totally age inappropriate and b) in awful condition. No thought to safety or cleanliness or anything. We end up throwing a whole lot of stuff out.

I have nothing against second hand gifts. But these are always a major suckfest. Like broken plastic toys from the 80s. Rough whittled wooden 'toys' that'll give you major splinters. Seriously worn (and way too big / small) clothing with those yellow age stains. Ick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do secret Santa (we always figure out who got who though) for the adults and have a set amount of $100 that you can go over but can't go under. I insist on doing the draw in September as I like to take the time to plan what to get whoever I draw. The year my brother got me I ended up with a photo frame that had a broken stand and a elephant figurine that had a broken trunk, I thanked him because I LOVE elephants and really liked the frame so thinking I could see about getting them replaced for non broken ones I asked where he got them from and after Christmas I went to the store and was told they could be replaced as they were sold out of the faulty/bargain bin and my brother knew the stand was broken and the elephants trunk was cracked and likely to break. The next Christmas my sister got me and bought me a necklace I knew a mutual friend had made and was selling for $5 that was a cross (we aren't religious) on a leather strap (I am allergic to leather jewellery every time I wear it I get hives) it made me feel like my brother just didn't give a sh!t and my sister just didn't take any time to think of a gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post
    I dread opening gifts from my MIL. She always buys DS all sorts of random second hand clothing, toys and knickknacks that are usually a) totally age inappropriate and b) in awful condition. No thought to safety or cleanliness or anything. We end up throwing a whole lot of stuff out.

I have nothing against second hand gifts. But these are always a major suckfest. Like broken plastic toys from the 80s. Rough whittled wooden 'toys' that'll give you major splinters. Seriously worn (and way too big / small) clothing with those yellow age stains. Ick.

Haha. Snap! This is what my MIL does too. But not as much Christmas presents, just stuff for the kids when they go round her house or randomly.

I don't mind second hand stuff too much but what she gets them just takes the cake...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (24-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    And you know had they thought about her at all and had tried it wouldn't have been so bad. But they had put in zero effort for her and she was so excited before opening the present that her emotions just overcame her. I've seen adults on here talk about how upset they are by their other half giving them a crap present without any thought. Not sure why a child can't also be upset when they are disappointed with a present.

You sound like a really caring mum... There has to be more to this story. It just doesn't make sense to me.

With the information just in this thread it really appears that you are looking at the whole thing through the wrong colored glasses. I can't understand how you've focused all your energy on blaming the gift givers (you are assuming they don't care... Maybe they are just hopeless or busy like myself). You've blamed them to the point you've used it to justify your kids (perhaps understandable) rude behavior and to make what I consider to be very (very!) rude continual demands for a replacement gift. It's not even a close call on the etiquette no-no scale.

Some mums are struggling to feed their kids this Christmas let alone give them a gift at all. So this does not make sense to me.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (25-12-2014),Lillynix  (24-12-2014),Mysurprisebaby  (28-12-2014),Stiflers Mom  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is why I always give my 5yo a pep talk before Christmas Day presents from other people and also on his birthday. I tell him how no matter if you like it or not you need to say thank you and act like you like it (am I teaching him to lie? 😄😄) but I just know that he would have been likely to do the same thing. I saw an article recently on why lots of kids loose it opening pressies on Xmas day because it's so full on.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrswhitehouse For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (24-12-2014),chickenfoot83  (24-12-2014),penny92  (24-12-2014),TheGooch  (24-12-2014),VicPark  (24-12-2014),White Mage  (28-12-2014)