+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH , MIL and BIL still ring each other every year with a list of what they want each other to buy for Xmas.
    Never mind we have been a single income family struggling financially. It is still expected we buy top dollar (eg $200) gifts for both MIL and BIL and you guessed it, there is no money left for DH to buy me a $20 present.
    I'm sick to hell of it but I can't ever see it ending. I have suggested a kris kringle but MIL and BIL aren't keen because they only have DH and our kids to buy for, so don't see a problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    My DH , MIL and BIL still ring each other every year with a list of what they want each other to buy for Xmas.
    Never mind we have been a single income family struggling financially. It is still expected we buy top dollar (eg $200) gifts for both MIL and BIL and you guessed it, there is no money left for DH to buy me a $20 present.
    I'm sick to hell of it but I can't ever see it ending. I have suggested a kris kringle but MIL and BIL aren't keen because they only have DH and our kids to buy for, so don't see a problem
    Just say no your family comes first. I had too. It's hard to do. It best to do just after Christmas and keep to it every time it's brought up. Tell them that they gifts meant you could get each other a gift and you have decide to put your family and your marriage first.
    Seriously it is wrong to put them above you. It will built a resentment over the years if you don't.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2014),KitiK  (29-12-2014),SuperGranny  (29-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I know it's easier said than done... If it were me I would be honest with my relatives even if it was embarassing. I would tell them you don't have much money ... If they can't do a Kris Kringle or buy just for adults then you can only afford $50 per person. And then don't look back/listen to any whinging/feel guilty about it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (29-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    $200 is out of control

If its impacting on your own family then put your foot down.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (29-12-2014),SuperGranny  (29-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SIL buys some crap presents. This year she got me a set of placemats which don't colour coordinate with my kitchen and it has a pic of a grass tree in which she says "I know you like the grass tree" um not sure what gave her that idea as I had to ask dh what sort of tree it was . Last year she bought me a chunky hippy type watch that soooo isn't me. She always buys the boys a heap of little things which drives me insane, they either break easily or get lost. Would much rather they be given something for their special shelves, one decent pressie rather than a heap of crappy junk ones. My other SIL has bought me perfume and dh aftershave for the past 6 years. I put alot of thought into pressures I buy but not everyone does... Obviously

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    this is not about a crap present, but this will take the cake for the way to return an unwanted gift. The grandparents took the gift to their 8yr granddaughter for her birthday. granddaughter opened the gift, played with it and was very happy with the gift. the grandparents left the house and took a short while before getting back to their own home. in the meantime, daughter in law, came home, saw the present from grandparents, she took it from her daughter, drove back to the grandparents, and tossed the gift out of the car as she drove by. a neighbour saw the gift flying out of the car and the neighbour put the gift together with the card and the wrapping paper at the grandparents front door. this is a true story, and I am just dumbfounded. I know the grandparents and they totally don't deserve this sort of treatment. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I got a cheap $2 store candle... It's smaller than my thumb. From BILs wife...
    We got her 2 T2 sets- one with a cup, saucer, tea leaves, and strainer/plunger. The other is an assortment of tea things. She's Chinese and loves tea, and mentioned T2 when we asked what she wanted.

BIL gave me a $50 JB HI-FI voucher from him and his daughter, so yay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ex MIL and I are on good terms with each other and she sent me a little gift in the mail with DDs Christmas present.

It was the two ugliest scarves in the world, and two hankies. I appreciate the thought, but the scarves have gone straight to the dress-up box and I'm not sure what to do with the hankies.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    MIL has been labelled the crap gift-giver by DH's ex, and BIL's wife.
    She gave them both a beautiful food platter (I like those things) which she found randomly. She told me she didn't put any thought into it, as she can't stand either of them and neither get her anything (I suggested she not by them something but she's too polite).
    I, on the otherhand, got a beautiful hand-made filigree silver necklace and earring set from their holiday months ago- she planned well ahead, and knows I only wear silver. I put them on Christmas Day and haven't taken them off since.
    BILs wife threw her platter in the bin, and DH's ex re-gifted hers and b*tched at the kids...

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    To be fair, you don't know what is happening in that family for this to occur. We know people who seem like lovely doting grandparents and are really nice to talk to. However they treat their daughter in law in the most disgusting, awful manner. It's appalling. We only know because my dad and this man were best friends and he was telling my dad the things he has said to his DIL, expecting my dad to laugh with him. My dad was horrified (and it takes a lot to horrify my dad). Part of their behaviour involves trying to get their grandkids on their side. Most people would have no idea they treat her like this, and they are very good at making out like their daughter in law is the evil one because her son has chosen to cut them out of his life after their behaviour. They're very good at playing the 'poor us' cards but they are not the victims at all.
    thankspartyofthree, for the other side of the story. but i do know this family, and i do know for sure, the grandparents, in this case are not deserving of this treatment. I don't doubt there could be families as you describe, but this is not one of those. marie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Full House  (05-01-2015)