+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Crap xmas presents - vent here

Disclaimer - fun light hearted thread

Had an early xmas bbq with my bro's family last night.
    I put a lot of thought into gifts, gave them a gift that SIL had mentioned previously cost $100, brought nieces backpacks, beach towels & a toy each.

In return i got a $20 itunes gift card.

DD2 got a dress that is too small but they took tags off and didnt keep receipt so we're stuck with it

DS got a plastic truck which already had the back cracked and once opened one of the wheels fell off :/

So disappointed in the lack of thoughtfulness in their gifting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First present for our kids too and the disappointment was evident but im sure bro & SIL barely noticed.

Toying with actually asking for specific gifts next year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My IL's have a tradition that everyone has to sit around the tree and open presents one a time, taking turns, so each person gets to comment on the gift they've received. Which makes it especially awkward as SIL's usually give me something they'd like, like incense and hippy jewellery, and MIL makes something, like a 'wonderful' collage she made for me one year with pictures of wolves howling at the moon surrounded by fairies and inspirational quotes... I really appreciate the effort she put in, but it was SOOOOOOOO not my style!

Bit apprehensive about what's in store for this year.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (23-12-2014),BettyW  (23-12-2014),JR03  (23-12-2014),Steph12  (26-12-2014),Try27  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Crap xmas presents - vent here

My dad is a shocker. Every year he buys me a bottle of Tia Maria/ Kahlua/ baileys ( any sort of alcohol that requires milk) yet I have a dairy allergy. All of my brothers get a bottle of scotch or bourbon and I get what dad would consider to be a 'ladies' drink. He did actually ask me this year if I would drink vodka so I think he has finally realised after years of telling him I can't drink milk.

Last edited by Ra Ra Superstar; 27-12-2014 at 07:03.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH's mum keeps buying him whiskey which he does not drink. He drinks scotch, rum or beer. He won't tell her that we have 4 unopened bottled of whiskey as she'll get all offended or something. I feel like she'd be more upset that she's been buying him stuff he doesn't like for years. But what would I know. lol.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    my Mum insists on buying those crappy gadgets that are useless to everyone

though this year I know she has bought me a new popcorn popper as I ask her for one.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dad tries, bless him!
    But he's guaranteed to give a horse calendar. I sold my last horse 10 years ago and haven't spoken of them since!
    And he's a gadget man so when digital photo frames became really popular we all got several of them - because one really isn't enough!

I'm lucky otherwise. I usually get lovely gifts whether it's from DF's family's KK or my family.

Poor DF is the one who usually gets things that are so obviously last minute, not thinking of him at all. iTunes voucher - not on his list, never uses it. And he got DVDs 2 years in a row that had already been watched. He was pretty upset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I've received a massive box of those block scent things that go in the top of oil burners. Like a box full of cheap smelling random scents. My house will smell like the candle isle of the reject shop for a year if I burned them 24 hours a day. I just don't know what to do with them. Hate to just throw them away as I hate to waste things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every year we get crap presents from some family members. When they leave we put them in the pool room, as in, over the fence into the pool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL is shocking at crappy gifts. One year we got a bin lol, next year a microwave which wasn't too bad. I've hardly ever used it apart from when heating bottles when my kids drank formula. She once got me this witch, I can't describe it very well but it was like an empty kitchen roll with this weird fabric over it and witches face. The look on my SIL's face when I opened it was priceless I'll never forget it, kind of made it worth it. I don't even like witches, dunno where the idea came from.

My mum sent me a weird plastic bracelet with fake shells stuck to it once too which was a bit odd.

My DH's aunty always gives everyone a towel too, it's a guarantee.