+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do your (older) kids get their own breakfast?

Just curious how old are your kids that get their own breakfast?

On school days I will get their breakfast (the 9yo and 7yo) because it's quicker. But on weekends and in holidays I make them get their own. But OMG, the way they carry on about it, you would think that I've just asked them to carry out a major monumental task, and that I'm just a big meanie.

They usually have toast and fruit. Surely that's not that hard.
    The 12yo just has fruit, so he is fine obviously.

Back me up here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    From age 5 you get your own here everyday. If the milk is full than we help the 5 year old pour it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS is 15 and has been getting his own breakfast for years I think he started when he was 6 or 7. DSD is 10 has been getting her own breakfast at our house since she was 7. I think they're old enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 year old has been getting his own breakfast for at least the last 18 months. He is the youngest and wanted to be like his older siblings, but weekends is when I might make them breakfast (eg. eggs) but during the week when it's a quick breakfast they get their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So mine are just being lazy bludgers then? Thought so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 4 and I have to fight with him to let me make his breakfast. He goes to the pantry and will try to get out whatever he wants for breakfast and attempt to do it himself. He's been doing it for a year now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My older two are nearly 7 and 9 and they get their own breakfast. My little one is 3 and he's capable of making his own and will do so if his breakfast request isn't met quickly enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has just turned 7 and has been able to pour her own cereal since about 4 (help with milk when full). She doesn't consistently do it every day though, sort of goes through phases of wanting to be independent and wanting to be waited on. She's been able to spread her own toast for about a year and I've just Started to let her iae the toaster as she's allowed to use it at before school care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is 9 and it depends who gets to it first on a school day morning- him or me. On the weekends- it's all him.

We leave about 6.45am on a school day morning and usually he has a glass of warm nesquik milk but occassionally if he's got dressed quickly and has time, he'll make himself a bowl of cereal as well. If he gets to breaki first (before I do), he'll make me a cold chocolate milk as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Angels are around us  (27-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep agree my kids have watch, helped, then completed with assistance between ages 3-7 before doing all alone ages 8-9. The same as watching, helping, complete with assistance then all alone for crossing the road, making phone calls etc etc (of course all adapted.. I.e my kids were about 9-10 before I would let them cross our quiet street without being on-top of them). But things like setting table, getting milk/juice/butter etc from fridge, helping to put bread into toaster/spread toast etc. From as soon as they are able