+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Naughty chickens! I've had similar issues - one likes laying in the wood box and I found 30 eggs in one of the bags of hay I use in their house! We do have 15 chooks, so I don't know if it was just 1 laying there for a month or a few for a week! Finally fixed all the holes so they can't get out now until I let them out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Why start a new thread when you can revive a really old one!

So my chook run door is broken. This means that my chooks lay wherever they like. For 2 months the freeloaders have been hiding their eggs.
    We're having the same issue with our ducks. DH is getting out thee at 5am just to go on an egg hunt and beat the crows to them! It's also resulted in one of the girls hiding a bunch of eggs we didn't know about and by the time we did, she'd already starting sitting to hatch them Ducklings within the next week I think. Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to make things worse my kids smashed 4 dozen eggs yesterday and obviously the dog got a taste for it. He found the nest for us but has started eating the eggs!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We finally got chickens earlier this year. I don't eat eggs (except in baking) but we've become a crazy chicken family already.

We started with 2 Australorps and 2 Isas, then we added two leghorns just over a month ago. The Aussies are by far the best temperament, one of them is very much the boss but she's not aggressive - she doesn't need to be as she's completely established in her place.

When we got the 2 new girls it was the 2 girls at the bottom of the pack who gave them the most trouble (didn't want to get shunted lower down the line). They still have the odd minor spat but we've actually been really happy at how little trouble it all caused. Only took the newbies 3 weeks to start laying (got them at POL, but our other girls all took 6-8w).

So now we're getting 6 eggs a day!

They're out enjoying the sunshine today after being stuck sheltering under their coop for most of yesterday. Our 8 year old adores them and spends so much time handling them - she's even got one of the flighty new girls happy to be cuddled!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will join in here. We have 3 Isas that we've had for a while. They were 14monthers when we bought them but we get 2 eggs a day usually between the three of them. They are beautiful birds, I love them a lot.
    IMG_1478575782.065362.jpg

We have been quickly trying to redo our chook area so it's a bit of a mess at the moment, but we recently got 8 Australorps and 2 Rhode Island Reds (mix of pullets, 5 months and 7 months). They look a bit rough, they are rescued from a farm that got knocked out in the NSW floods so a few injuries and lost feathers. We are also watching two Australorps for my SIL as her dog got in to her coop and got 5 of her chooks so we are chook sitting until she gets her coop up and running again.
    IMG_1478575923.002220.jpg
    Need to finish painting and insulating the tank for them, and clean out the toys and the random umbrella in there haha. And sink that little pool for them.
    IMG_1478576023.034567.jpg
    And not exactly chooks, we have 2 Muscovy drakes in there as well. We had them from little and were hoping for a breeding pair but alas no. We are going to give one to my husbands work (to be guard for their greenhouse) and get some girls for the one we keep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    IMG_1478582349.648552.jpg
    We've got 6 Isa Browns on our farm, they're now about 10 months old. We get 5 eggs most days, often 6. We lock them up at night in the chook shed but they free range all day. I love them, they're lovely creatures and a bit funny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't take much to become a crazy chicken family! We have heaps and love them to bits. They are great for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just re-established out flock after a fox took care of our old girls

We have 1 x Rhode Island Red, 3 x Plymouth Rock and 2 x Pekin... If you have young kids and you want a chook that is going to cope with whatever a toddler can throw at it, a Pekin is your chook. The two we have are just so docile, soft, just gorgeous. You can take them out of their pen and they will just mill around your feet. They don't flee quickly like the other chooks so DD 3 and even DS 20 months can catch them.

All the birds are only about 8/9 weeks old so we are yet to see how they go temperament-wise as adult birds but so far they are all pretty placid, super quiet and enjoying working their way through one of our overgrown chook runs aka the jungle!

Thanks
    Reviews

We have 10 Rhode Island Reds and 3 that we adopted later this year.

My almost 2 year old spends so much time with them, he is going to be a chicken lover for life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The best part of raising chickens for me...
    Babies!
    IMG_1478633217.659207.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJZK For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (09-11-2016),Vegg  (09-11-2016)