+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently got 6 chooks and a duck and would much rather talk about them right now than anything else so im glad i found this thread. We got 4 of them as day old chicks so the kids could tame them and make them pets. They are the messiest little creatures i have ever owned! That being said, they havent got much room right now till the big two come out of quarantine in a few weeks and we can put the whole lot in the big coop. Love them tho. They are getting along well with the kids including the toddler, though she much prefers the duck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    I recently got 6 chooks and a duck and would much rather talk about them right now than anything else so im glad i found this thread. We got 4 of them as day old chicks so the kids could tame them and make them pets. They are the messiest little creatures i have ever owned! That being said, they havent got much room right now till the big two come out of quarantine in a few weeks and we can put the whole lot in the big coop. Love them tho. They are getting along well with the kids including the toddler, though she much prefers the duck.
    Congratulations on the feather family! We are planning ways to keep the chooks safe from toddler...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Congratulations on the feather family! We are planning ways to keep the chooks safe from toddler...
    Thanks. The toddler only gets supervised access as she is a bit excitable around them. She is pretty good with being gentle when reminded though. She loves all her pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    @Tildy I am completely obsessed with our chicken and ducks and would rather talk about them than anything else too! Lol

We have 6 chickens and 4 ducks...plus one duckling we hatched 4 days ago! We are still waiting to see if any more hatch, the ducky mums are still sitting on more eggs.

We've had our chickens for a few years, they're fantastic, love them. We have a few different breeds because I love having different coloured eggs We get light brown, speckled, chocolate brown and blue eggs from ours.

We have learned a stack about chickens and ducks over the last few years.

Because I can't resist, here's a pic of one of our blue egg layers, Hairstyle, a couple of our ducks (Marshmallow and Duck Norris) and our new baby on Saturday at one day old Plus our pretty eggs!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1421728781.491660.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1421728814.729912.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1421728827.466855.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1421728891.524314.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

clbj  (21-01-2015),KitiK  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are so cute! We finally got our feathered babies into the big coop and the duck is hilarious. She has discovered water that she can completely submerse herself in and zooms around with a big silly grin on her face. She is a mallard. Any ideas on a way to make a pond that she can swim in properly without creating a drowning risk for the chooks? Right now she has a clam shell paddle pool from bunnings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Tildy in my experience the chickens are not one bit interested in getting into water (others might have found something different, but mine avoid it like the plague. I even tried to give them a little pond for really hot days and they wouldn't have a bar of it!)

My DH made ours a little pond out of half of one of those big plastic industrial containers that have a tap valve on the bottom (I don't know what they're called!) That seems to be plenty of room for our 4 to play and swim in all together. Our looks like this (it looks smaller in the pic than it really is)

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1421801315.133263.jpg

Most importantly, the tap makes it easy to empty and clean!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    @Tildy in my experience the chickens are not one bit interested in getting into water (others might have found something different, but mine avoid it like the plague. I even tried to give them a little pond for really hot days and they wouldn't have a bar of it!)

My DH made ours a little pond out of half of one of those big plastic industrial containers that have a tap valve on the bottom (I don't know what they're called!) That seems to be plenty of room for our 4 to play and swim in all together. Our looks like this (it looks smaller in the pic than it really is)

Attachment 66019

Most importantly, the tap makes it easy to empty and clean!
    Good idea! We have heaps at the farm - round here they get called shuttles.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (21-01-2015)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oops with Christmas and everything I forgot all about this thread! @HillDweller I love your chicks names, Hairstyle and Duck Norris ha ha! And the 'pond' is cool! Yeah our chicks don't like water either but dd5 & dd7 have bathed them in the wheelbarrow anyway ha h!

We now have three chicks and our 'flock' has settled down. At first we had two isa browns and a leghorn. but the leghorn was very pecky and very dominant. So we swapped it for an Isa Brown. Then it became obvious that one of the original Isa Browns, who was called Lucy, should have in fact been called George ha ha. Poor dd5 got a lump taken out of her ankle and the poor little newly arrived chick got a very hard time settling in, so George got swapped too. Now we have one 3mo and two 2mo, and we have peace in the back garden. The 3mo is the boss but only by default, she's a nice boss

We're just waiting on eggs now. I'm a bit worried about it because their favourite spot is deep in under the deck, I'm sure that's where they will lay. DH needs to block it off but he's busy with other stuff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Oops with Christmas and everything I forgot all about this thread! @HillDweller I love your chicks names, Hairstyle and Duck Norris ha ha! And the 'pond' is cool! Yeah our chicks don't like water either but dd5 & dd7 have bathed them in the wheelbarrow anyway ha h!

We now have three chicks and our 'flock' has settled down. At first we had two isa browns and a leghorn. but the leghorn was very pecky and very dominant. So we swapped it for an Isa Brown. Then it became obvious that one of the original Isa Browns, who was called Lucy, should have in fact been called George ha ha. Poor dd5 got a lump taken out of her ankle and the poor little newly arrived chick got a very hard time settling in, so George got swapped too. Now we have one 3mo and two 2mo, and we have peace in the back garden. The 3mo is the boss but only by default, she's a nice boss

We're just waiting on eggs now. I'm a bit worried about it because their favourite spot is deep in under the deck, I'm sure that's where they will lay. DH needs to block it off but he's busy with other stuff...

LOL at the kids giving the chickens a bath in the wheelbarrow! love it! When we went away for a month at the beginning of last year my parents looked after our house. They had never seen a chicken dust bathing before.....so one hot day, Dad went out to the yard where one of the girls was dust bathing away minding her own business... He thought she was half dead, having a fit from the heat, so he grabbed her and dunked her in a bucket of water over and over again until she was "ok again". He said it was so weird because after that he kept seeing her do it, but she'd jump up when she saw him coming with the water bucket! I had to show him a video of a dust bath and say "is this what you saw...?" LOL Poor girl must have thought he was a mental case!!

Our flock pecking order is quite fluid. Whenever we have a girl go broody and we need to separate her for a few days, if she is near the top of the pack, she goes right down to the bottom again. I've found it's always the 2nd top of the pack that's the most aggressive. I guess the leader must feel secure but the 2nd top feels like she's got to try and maintain position or something! Our chicken Hairstyle, literally does not care about anything to do with the pecking order. She completely ignores all of the little 'chicken rules' and drives them all crazy

We had a rooster at one stage too - he was a male of the blue egg layers - named Papa Smurf. We had to give him away because he was much too aggressive with the hens

Do you have any laying boxes set up for them? We re purpose stuff a lot, we found a wooden cupboard with shelves that we took the door off and tipped on its side for laying boxes. With 3 chickens you'd probably only need one or two boxes with straw or shavings at the most. Our 6 chickens use 2 boxes (regardless of the fact that they have 4 to choose from) they just argue over the boxes, telling each other off the whole time. Apparently there's just something super special about some of the boxes I have literally witnessed a chicken get into a box another chicken was laying in and lay an egg on her HEAD when there was another 3 boxes available..... why.

You probably still have a couple of months to go before they lay so hopefully your DH will get time to block the deck off so you don't have to crawl under there for eggs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why start a new thread when you can revive a really old one!

So my chook run door is broken. This means that my chooks lay wherever they like. For 2 months the freeloaders have been hiding their eggs.