+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Families with 2 working parents

Hi fellow parents,

Just want to know how you survive? Do you have help from families, friends, nanny or something?
    How do you deal when kids get sick? Normally sick leaves are 10 days only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm on Maternity leave at the moment, but usually DH and I both work, although I only work 3 days a week. We are lucky that both our employers are happy for us to take sick leave when the kids are sick. I've had 2 in childcare for the last 3 years and they've only been sick a handful of times. Also DH and I have been in our jobs for quite some time, so have plenty of saved up sick leave.
    We don't have any family nearby or anyone we can get to mind the kids when they're sick, but we usually share the day's off between us, so we'll only be off work for 1-2 days at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing. I'm going back to work in the new year and just not sure how we're going to manage it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pinksand View Post
    Hi fellow parents,

Just want to know how you survive? Do you have help from families, friends, nanny or something?
    How do you deal when kids get sick? Normally sick leaves are 10 days only.
    I work full time and my DP works 3 days a week. We have no help from family as they're all interstate.

We just take time off work and take it in turns as to who stays at home - unless I have to be at work on that day. (I'm an accountant and so must be at work during month end but DP doesn't really have any days that he must be at work if that makes sense). To be honest though, I've probably taken less than 5 days off in the last year and some of those were because DP was sick (contagious) on one of his days off and I couldn't get DS into day care.

I'm also able to work from home but don't do that unless absolutely necessary as I don't think it's fair to work (I don't actually get a lot of work done with a toddler around.) I have a very understanding boss but don't want to take advantage of it.

We do have a nanny who does occasional babysitting for us and we could call on her if it's an emergency but we haven't need to yet.

I guess you just have to make it work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have no family here and friends can't help out as they work. We just take it in turns as far as possible and never used even close to 20 days in one year. Worst time was when DS started daycare and was sick quite a lot but in the last 12 months he has only had a couple of sick days.

You just make it work because you have to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I both work, I work 6 shifts a fortnight, he works full time. We do have family support, however I would never ask anyone else to look after my kids when they are sick. TOUCH WOOD! We have never come close to using our sick leave up, I don't think either of the kids have had a sick day at all this year (they are 4 and 2).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, we take turns. I also work from home 2 days a week so if my son is sick on one of those days I take him (and try to make up lost work when my partner gets in).
    This year I really took a hit as I broke my arm too. I also got tonsillitis and bronchitis. I'm pretty sure daycare germs had something to do with that. So with my son being sick too (winter is just so awful) I ended up taking about 4 weeks off sick, it was really bad. My manager has somehow managed to just brush it under the carpet........ we get 8 sick days! I looked it up on the ombudsman website and that isn't even legal (minimum 10)

Anyway, winter time is hard and neither of us have any family in sydney. You soon find out how tolerant your boss is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH & I are both full-time - we take turns as we both get 10days carers leave a year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing
    We both work but I have a feeling the expectation from DF and others is that it will be me.
    I'm interested to hear what others do

Thanks
    Reviews
    We both work full time.

We have had a day off each so far when Bub has been sick.

It will probably be me who will take most time off as I have a lot of leave up my sleeve.

We don't have any family near by so there is no support from them.