+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My cousin (male) was around 11 when he touched me inappropriately. It was a very brief incident but sadly my nana didn't believe me when I ran off and told her. He used to say inappropriate things to me too. He doesn't have any issues such as being in the spectrum so I can't explain why he did it. I would def not leave them alone together

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

tubster  (22-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    My cousin (male) was around 11 when he touched me inappropriately. It was a very brief incident but sadly my nana didn't believe me when I ran off and told her. He used to say inappropriate things to me too. He doesn't have any issues such as being in the spectrum so I can't explain why he did it. I would def not leave them alone together
    Im so sorry that happened to you and your Nana wouldnt believe you. What a horrific thing to go through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I have a 12 year old relative (female) who would do something along those lines. She's not on the spectrum, she's jus a REALLY cuddly kid and doesn't fully understand personal space.

Personally, I'd take the approach to speaking to him directly, saying "no, that's not okay. People need their personal space. It's not okay to keep hugging someone just because YOU enjoy it."

I know not everyone's as comfortable as I am parenting other peoples' children though :P
    Yes I should say something to him direct next time.
    The kids also have another cousin who's 9 and very affectionate and cuddly. She would ask for cuddles all the time, but she plays with them. Eg she would pretend to be Santa and get then to sit on her lap and tell her what they want for Xmas etc. she loves picking up the kids and show them around the house and play toys etc.
    But with the boy, he doesn't play with them, he would sit there on the couch and just cuddle DD, try to bury his face in her neck and try to kiss her face and won't let her get off him and would keep on asking DD (only DD) to go to him for hugs. He wouldn't talk to her or play with her at all which makes it all just a bit creepy and uncomfortable for me to watch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know I need to speak up, it's never a strength of mine to do so. So far my gut instincts has been all correct with many other things.
    But it makes me feel so guilty and sick to think there might be anything wrong with him.
    But my kids safety comes first. Good that my husband is very outspoken when it comes to things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    I know I need to speak up, it's never a strength of mine to do so. So far my gut instincts has been all correct with many other things.
    But it makes me feel so guilty and sick to think there might be anything wrong with him.
    But my kids safety comes first. Good that my husband is very outspoken when it comes to things like that.
    I guess it's the way you share it with your sil. 'I've noticed that he is very cuddly with dd and I know this makes her feel uncomfortable. What can we do about this?'. You may be doing your nephew a favour. If no one has picked up on this behaviour then it can be dealt with now. If he does this with another child then things may be more complicated. Yes you're looking after your dd but by asking about the behaviour you are also showing you care about your nephew.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (22-12-2014),SuperGranny  (22-12-2014),tubster  (22-12-2014)