+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Minimalist living

I am not a hoarder. We live in a townhouse so not much room for storage so if it's not played with, used etc its gone. But I need to cull much more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Subbing! This is how in trying to be too.

There's a book called Enough: Breaking Free from the World of Excess by John Naish.

It was such an eye opener and completely changed the way I spend money and live. I recommend it to anyone.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-12-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing out of interest. I like to do lots of different crafts which means I have heaps of stuff that I am not quite ready to get rid of as I do come back to it from time to time and now the kids are older they are getting into it too.
    I do buy more clothes, toys and food than we need so would like to reduce that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know that I'm a minimalist, but I definitely hate clutter and do a clean out of everything at least once a year. My kids are hoarders so I go through their rooms every 6 months and get rid of all the paper they have collected, but as far as toys or excess amount of clothes go I was really pleased with how well we've done. I had one normal sized plastic bag of clothes, and another of broken toys/paper etc. come out of my DS's room, one garbage bag of My Little Pony stuff (that we've had for years and my kids have now grown out of), and one garbage bag of clothes out of my 2 girl's room. Given I was getting rid of shorts they've been wearing for 2-3 years now and have grown out of I was happy. There were no clothes still with tags on or that haven't been used. The clothes all got donated to friends who are struggling single mum's.

I guess for us it's easy to keep things simple because we don't have much storage space and I hate clutter so if it's not being used it goes. We are also a family of 5 with a three bedroom house. My kids all get a trofast storage system for their things, but each container holds a specific set - Train set, Tool Set, Lego etc. And then my youngest has a toy box that is only half full, and my girls have board games in a cupboard. That's it. We have no toys anywhere else in the house, they all fit in their bedrooms.
    My girls also have their clothes shared in a 6 drawer tall boy. They have underwear on top, then a summer drawer and winter drawer each. MY son has a 6 drawer tall boy to himself but his top drawers are empty, he has one pj drawer, one summer drawer, one winter drawer and the bottom drawer holds bed sheets.

I definitely think my hate for both clutter and shopping help me out a ton. I guess some might say I go overboard at Christmas because my kids are getting eight things each just from Santa but aside from their main presents it's things like new pencils and a sketch book for my artistic child, Lego etc. It's not more plastic junk that will never get played with again. Hmm, maybe I'm more of a minimalist than I thought, I'm definitely not a hoarder.

ETA - We actually did throw out boxes of stuff that we would move from one house to the next a few years ago. Decided to be done with it and got rid of it. Now the only thing that stays in boxes are tools etc. that gets stored in clear containers in the garage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

phee83  (20-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep! I think I'm doing pretty good at minimalist living - I started working towards it a couple of years ago, focusing firstly on stopping myself bringing things we don't need into the house, and then starting to get rid of the stuff we already had. It's been a slow process because dh was initially reluctant to get rid of some of his stuff but now he's good .

The sentimental things are the hardest but one thing I have done to deal with this is turning sentimental trinkets into Christmas tree ornaments, and now if we go somewhere and I want a memento I choose something that can go on the tree. This way i don't have a million trinkets cluttering the house and it makes putting up the Christmas tree extra special because we get to reminisce about the great times we've had.

Christmas is also tricky because people want to give you gifts and I don't want to be ungrateful but I also don't want stuff that I don't need. I tend to ask for 'experiences' now (ie. mum and I went to see the lion king last week as my birthday present). I'm having a baby shower in a few weeks because I want to celebrate the babies but I'm actually really anxious because I know people will feel obliged to bring gifts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by phee83 View Post
    Yep! I think I'm doing pretty good at minimalist living - I started working towards it a couple of years ago, focusing firstly on stopping myself bringing things we don't need into the house, and then starting to get rid of the stuff we already had. It's been a slow process because dh was initially reluctant to get rid of some of his stuff but now he's good .

The sentimental things are the hardest but one thing I have done to deal with this is turning sentimental trinkets into Christmas tree ornaments, and now if we go somewhere and I want a memento I choose something that can go on the tree. This way i don't have a million trinkets cluttering the house and it makes putting up the Christmas tree extra special because we get to reminisce about the great times we've had.

Christmas is also tricky because people want to give you gifts and I don't want to be ungrateful but I also don't want stuff that I don't need. I tend to ask for 'experiences' now (ie. mum and I went to see the lion king last week as my birthday present). I'm having a baby shower in a few weeks because I want to celebrate the babies but I'm actually really anxious because I know people will feel obliged to bring gifts!
    Such a good idea about trinkets on the Christmas tree! Will remember that for next time!

Yes I totally get anxious when people give me gifts of things that I don't want. I had my baby shower last week and because we'd already gotten plenty of hand-me-downs from siblings I asked people on the invites that gifts weren't necessary but nappies or something cute would be welcome. It worked! No duplication and all the stuff we got we'll use! Such a relief!

I guess for others trying to declutter, we've found using gumtree.com.au really handy for selling some of the bigger stuff. Not only can you make some spare change from your unwanted stuff, but then you feel better that you're not just adding to landfill and people will pick up your stuff for you! We've found it handy for selling furniture, bikes and white goods etc that are still working that we don't want to end up like the stuff people leave on the kerb for the council pickup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes it's been long journey, things that i could not part with last year I was able to part with this year.

it's so worth it and has helped me so much with everyday living.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybloom For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (17-07-2015),phee83  (11-07-2015)