+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    This is what i have been doing going through things and getting rid of the excess cr@p I'm so over having so much stuff plus I've been really good with not buying things just because it's nice, looks pretty, kids would like it, on sale ect doing good so far have taken about 10 bags to the Salvation Army and have given my mum 2/3 bags of stuff :-) still have a heap to go but getting there
    Sounds like you've made quite an effort so far!
    I think i've actually lost interest in buying things which is a plus. I use to love shopping for the kids and buying a million outfits they really didn't need, toys that they would lose interest in, etc. I guess now that they are getting older it's lost a bit of appeal as they can choose their things and i've never liked shopping for myself. I guess that all helps my cause though..lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been trying to follow this philosophy in the lead up to Christmas because I know the kids will be given lots of presents from relatives (mainly from the grandparents) and their toy boxes are already full. I like to have a designated spot for everything in the house, if it doesn't have a spot then I chuck it.

I love the kerb side bulk rubbish collections we have 4 times a year, it's great motivation to get rid of old toys, clothes etc. although it is frustrating when people come and rifle through it and scatter stuff all over our kerb.

I find that the salvos bins near my house are always overflowing, it puts me off donating items because I can't fit any more in and you are not supposed to leave stuff on the ground near the bin.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I don't just toss things. There is a local FB freebies page and I upload pics of stuff I can't sell or can't be bothered selling.
    I'm not into selling but it seems i'm not very good at giving things away either. I'm not really into the whole fb thing but i might need to suss it out. I used freecycle years ago to get rid of heaps of stuff when i moved interstate... i wonder if it even exists anymore?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    I have been trying to follow this philosophy in the lead up to Christmas because I know the kids will be given lots of presents from relatives (mainly from the grandparents) and their toy boxes are already full. I like to have a designated spot for everything in the house, if it doesn't have a spot then I chuck it.

I love the kerb side bulk rubbish collections we have 4 times a year, it's great motivation to get rid of old toys, clothes etc. although it is frustrating when people come and rifle through it and scatter stuff all over our kerb.

I find that the salvos bins near my house are always overflowing, it puts me off donating items because I can't fit any more in and you are not supposed to leave stuff on the ground near the bin.
    Salvo bins seem to be a thing of the past, there are few of them left in existence.
    Wish we had kerb side clean ups but where i live they are only for property owners and i rent.
    I think i'll just have to make a real big effort to sort through everything, organise a dump run for the stuff that's no good and figure out the rest as i go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I moved house earlier in the year and we threw out/donated a heap of stuff. It felt so cleansing! I've decided we have enough storage in our house now to have a place for everything and when I don't, its time to de-clutter. That will be a job for January I think.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am trying this too. I got rid of piles of stuff when I moved, but I want to get rid of so much more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i have just got a new kitchen, so that was perfect timing for getting rid of the junk that was in that part of the house. now im ready to start on my bedroom wardrobe. i take anything that is useful to st vinnies and just bin everything else. i do make a big clean out every few years, but i could still manage on much less of everything. marie.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would love to do this one day.

We have so much stuff we haven't even unpacked from previous house moves! Speaks volumes about the amount of unnecessary clutter we have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post
    I would love to do this one day.

We have so much stuff we haven't even unpacked from previous house moves! Speaks volumes about the amount of unnecessary clutter we have.
    Haha...you sound just like me. I've taken unopened box from house to house. Obviously we don't need whatever is in those boxes because it's managed to sit there untouched for years but for whatever strange reason i cling onto it.

Have been looking at pictures of people's houses that have adopted minimalist living, it's so inspirational to see their bare, clear and almost clinical/sterile looking spaces, then i look around here... *sigh*... where to even begin? Lol

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Haha...you sound just like me. I've taken unopened box from house to house. Obviously we don't need whatever is in those boxes because it's managed to sit there untouched for years but for whatever strange reason i cling onto it.

Have been looking at pictures of people's houses that have adopted minimalist living, it's so inspirational to see their bare, clear and almost clinical/sterile looking spaces, then i look around here... *sigh*... where to even begin? Lol
    I've always wanted a display home kind of house :-) but with kids it's very hard haha

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (19-12-2014)