+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Minimalist living

Does anyone do this? Is on their way to doing this?
    I'm so keen to get on board. I want to make it my goal over the next year to downside all our stuff by half. Realistically i don't think i could do the 100/150 items per person now. .. but maybe one day.
    Keen for inspiration if anyone else is doing this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before I had kids I lived that way- even considered turning a drawer into a crib. I really loathe owning things and having clutter. Can't wait till I get to ditch more things!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-12-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is what i have been doing going through things and getting rid of the excess cr@p I'm so over having so much stuff plus I've been really good with not buying things just because it's nice, looks pretty, kids would like it, on sale ect doing good so far have taken about 10 bags to the Salvation Army and have given my mum 2/3 bags of stuff :-) still have a heap to go but getting there

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (19-12-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Before I had kids I lived that way- even considered turning a drawer into a crib. I really loathe owning things and having clutter. Can't wait till I get to ditch more things!
    Wow, that would have been amazing. I've alway hoarded to a degree and hung on to things i'd developed an emotional attachment too. It's only in recent years i've really started to let go and realise it is just nothing more than stuff. It really weighs you down clinging on to all of it, doesn't it?
    Thankfully my kids aren't much into toys and junk so that makes it easier that there is no resistance on their part to be rid of it all.
    I guess the big, pressing question now is just how to do you get rid of it all? Do you just toss it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I have way too much crap but still less than most people I know. There's so much stuff we just don't need. I've read of people having a one-in-one-out policy. So if they bring something new into the home (not including food) they have to sell/give-away/recycle/dump something else.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to say that I am this, but still struggle with it so much! I did a big clear out a couple of years ago, but it doesn't take long for it to all come back! I live in quite a small house, with minimal storage, so it really is out of necessity. I find myself buying stuff for the kids all the time, but most of it they don't really appreciate, so I've really got to stop!
    My DH comes from a family of hoarders, so it is hard to get him on board!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Before I had kids I lived that way- even considered turning a drawer into a crib.
    Ha ha! That's what I suggested to my husband. He thought I was bonkers. But seriously, people used to do that. Some probably still do.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I used to follow a blog/ website called Slow Your Home which is all about decluttering and stuff, they had monthly challenges ie. this month the kitchen which helped motivate me a bit.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-12-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-12-2014),Phony  (19-12-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    OP, I used to follow a blog/ website called Slow Your Home which is all about decluttering and stuff, they had monthly challenges ie. this month the kitchen which helped motivate me a bit.
    That's sounds really good will definitely check it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Wow, that would have been amazing. I've alway hoarded to a degree and hung on to things i'd developed an emotional attachment too. It's only in recent years i've really started to let go and realise it is just nothing more than stuff. It really weighs you down clinging on to all of it, doesn't it?
    Thankfully my kids aren't much into toys and junk so that makes it easier that there is no resistance on their part to be rid of it all.
    I guess the big, pressing question now is just how to do you get rid of it all? Do you just toss it?
    I don't just toss things. There is a local FB freebies page and I upload pics of stuff I can't sell or can't be bothered selling.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post: