+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default desperately want to quit smoking

I know I will get judgement for this and I am ok with that, I deserve it. I will be 12 weeks tomorrow and I have cut down to a max 3 per day. Some days I can just have the one and that's it. The point is I know how bad smoking is so obviously I want to cut it out completely. I haven't smoked in any of my other pregnancies and I am so proud of that, but I have been so stressed that I haven't been able to kick the habit this time round. Anyway I have done alot of research on this and alot of people have said quitting now could actually be bad for the baby, is this just women trying to justify what they are doing or is there some proof to this? I have given up my aropax (anti anxiety and depression meds) to give the baby the best chance I just want to wake up tomorrow and say ok that's it no more. I have experienced 2 losses myself so I know how it feels and I was not smoking either time whilst pregnant it was for other medical reasons I lost those babies. I just want what is best for my baby, is it too late?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know for sure sorry. But I would talk to my doctor ASAP about it.
    Wishing you well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it's ever too late . Congrats btw on cutting back so much. You've done great so far. I don't have any advice on quitting as I'm not a smoker just wanted to say good work and keep going x

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I think the benefits to your bub of quitting now would outweigh the risks of you or baby having withdrawals. Definitely consult your gp, I know sometimes they can use a low dose patch or gum to try and help you. If you've cut down to 3 a day that's a great start, good luck!
    Last edited by tazz475; 19-12-2014 at 07:07.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I quit when I found out I was pregnant and it was hard. Really hard. I really empathise Op.

I worked in an office with 3 others who were pregnant and smoking.
    All of them would say things like "I've cut back. My Dr says it will cause more stress/damage/risk or other variation if I just quit cold turkey."

I did some research. The Quit Line is good. Asking midwives and Obs. My SIL tells me there is a huge difference in what the placenta looks like in a smoker versus a non smoker (I wouldn't know about that but she's caught quite a few babies!)

I understand how hard it is to quit. I'd smoked for 17 years and tried to quit several times. I'm now 11.5 months into this quitting journey and I feel great but not completely out of the woods.

I personally think those are lines used by people and justification for not quitting. But actually you don't need to justify your decisions to anyone. It's a topic for conversation between the pregnant person and their healthcare provider.

Every legitimate source I found in my research said quitting at any time in the pregnancy was better than not and quitting cold turkey does not cause stress to the baby. The only sources I found that said quitting was bad or caused harm were opinions on forums. No one with "Dr" in front of their name was agreeing!

ETA
    I forgot the most important part of my reply. That was to say a huge GOOD LUCK OP! If you do try and kick those last few, don't hesitate to seek some support. There's a great thread on here somewhere and there's always the quit line!
    Last edited by TheGooch; 19-12-2014 at 08:02.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (19-12-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No judgment here... only support in your journey to quit.
    I quit smoking over 10 years ago... its so worth it. You CAN do it!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's never too late and you've done really well to cut back. Patches are generally safe as the amount of Nicotine is minimal so have a chat with your health care provider. Although smoking isn't ideal during pregnancy neither is stress so don't put too much pressure on yourself to go cold turkey. There is quit smoking support section were no Judgey McJudgeys are allowed. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's best to double check with a gp, but i think if you're only smoking three cigarettes a day, the physical withdrawls from that wouldn't be enough to cause any problems with the baby. I was a smoker and quit cold turkey when I was pregnant with DD and DS1 (I never took it back up after DS1) and all I can say is is that for me there were no real tricks or strategies, I was just absolutely determined not to smoke whilst pregnant. You have to make that decision in your mind and follow it through with commitment. Remind yourself every time you feel like a ciggie why you arent going to have one - visualise that little person in your womb and how you are creating a lovely healthy little environmnet for him/her. If you can positively reinforce to yourself how wonderful it is to not be smoking then hopefully you may be able to stick to it. It's so hard to quit but you've done it before you can do it again!!!!!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    good for you to have cut down to only 3 a day. I bet that was not easy to do. I wonder would some of those horrid pics that were on the packets would be enough motivation to stop completely ?? I hope you continue to try and quit, we all know there is no benefit in smoking. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Day 1 of no smoking. My partner left me some this morning before he went to work and I said no I'm not smoking anymore. He took them with him to eliminate the temptation. I have been up for a couple of hours and I would normally have had one by now but haven't so feeling ok. I have a headache but dont know wether that is related. I am feeling positive, 12 weeks pregnant today. I am doing this for you little bubby.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LilMuffin For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-12-2014),felicia81  (20-12-2014),HappyBovinexx  (20-12-2014),heplusme  (20-12-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-12-2014),TheGooch  (20-12-2014)