+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 1.5 year old girl, sore genitals.

My daughter is 1.5 years old, and she has started to get distressed when I wipe her vulva while changing her nappy, touch her upper legs while I am changing her nappy, and really tries to keep her legs closed while I change her. I never, ever, force her legs apart, but she gets really distressed if it takes more than a few seconds. This is terribly upsetting to me as I have no idea why, she is never with anyone except me or her dad, is happy to walk around in the nudie, and has no signs of rash, yeast, or anything physical that I can see.
    Honestly this is a bit of an emotional trigger for me due to a sexual assault that i experienced, I will be going to the DR tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this reaction (with no symptoms) and what was the cause?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It might be a uti? Has she had a temp? Is she teething because Ive heard wee can be more acidic during teething. Sorry to hear Its been an emotional trigger, I can imagine It's quite distressing for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (17-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply and support Purple Lily, I really appreciate it. I don't think it's teething as she has been sensitive/sore/distressed/?? for a few weeks now and there is no sign of improvement. Her temperature and mood have been normal, she doesn't seem itchy or anything, just really distressed when i go to wipe her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That must be so stressful for you. My son is 1.5ys and he absolutely screams through every nappy change. Perhaps it's not a pain issue, and more that she just doesn't like having her nappy changed? Otherwise maybe it is the cold wipes? Just some things other ideas.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMummy For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (17-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry this has been a distressing time for you both.. Ds used to do this,sort of thing when he was about that age. Would squeeze his legs together and have me wiping him at nappy change and get upset if I wasn't super fast. He did get over it after a while.. But get her checked at gp Incas it's a medical issue

8. The Following User Says Thank You to slipper For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (17-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Slipper and Silentrockfaery, perhaps this could just be an age related thing? I'm not sure now if I'm over-worrying about it and possibly projecting a bit. I will definitely go to the GP but thanks to you both for easing my mind a bit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was like this a few weeks ago. Do you put nappy cream on at every change? I THINK for us she was just hurting from the sting of urine on her skin and it was burning a bit. We've just kept telling her that cream will make it better and now she lets us put it on. We seem to have over come it. Though I understand your kiddie is younger and may not have the same comprehension.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
    Thanks for the reply and support Purple Lily, I really appreciate it. I don't think it's teething as she has been sensitive/sore/distressed/?? for a few weeks now and there is no sign of improvement. Her temperature and mood have been normal, she doesn't seem itchy or anything, just really distressed when i go to wipe her.
    I would maybe think it might be a behavioural phase then like previous posters mentioned. Good luck at the drs and fx It's nothing xo

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD had vulvavaginitis when she was 2, that might be the issue.
    http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_...ulvovaginitis/
    We did vinegar baths for a few days and it seemed to clear it up. The only symptom she had was a bit of redness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2 now and she's been like that since 1.5. She won't open up her legs for nappy change and would scream and get really upset. Try putting any nappy cream near her genitals is just impossible.
    But she does open up her legs in the shower for me to rinse.
    I haven't looked into this bit I think it's just a phase they go through?