+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Probable failed pregnancy - what can I expect?

I hope this is ok for me to be posting here, as I haven't officially miscarried yet. I am deeply sorry for anyone reading this who has suffered a loss (or several). I guess I'm hoping you may be able to offer me some advice and info as I want to know what I'm in for and prepare myself mentally as much as humanly possible.

I've just been told by my GP that its highly likely my pregnancy has failed, and I have no choice but to wait another week for confirmation. Its early - 8 weeks since my LMP, 5 weeks since my BFP. (I won't go into long detail about why he thinks its failed - but its dates combined with scan results combined with spotting, and the conclusion is not great). I should be 8 weeks, they only saw an empty, oddly shaped sac - that's the main thing.

I'm feeling frustrated, anxious, impatient, and very much in the dark. If I do get confirmation of failure, it will be 2 days before xmas. Merry f*&king xmas to me. I have 15 relatives coming here xmas day, and I'm so scared of having a big bleed out that day.

Is there anything I can do? What is the likelihood I'll MC that particular day and will it render me useless or just be like a heavy period? I know its not something anyone can answer really.... there is only an empty sac so I'm hoping its not too bad? What can I expect if the pregnancy fails at such an early stage exactly? NB I've been spotting brown for 3 weeks now and just recently a little red with the brown. So maybe this is the start?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Oh sunny girl I'm so sorry to hear. I've had similiar, my bloods were rising normally, dating scan at 9 weeks revealed a 7 week empty sac. They diagnosed straight away as the sac was big enough that there should have been something in there. I had no warning before my SCan that anything was up, though at 6 weeks I had some minor spotting (no cramps or anything just minor spotting). I waited to miscarry naturally rather than opt for medication or a d&c. I didn't start bleeding till 12 weeks on the dot, that day I passed the sac and a lot of blood. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it wasn't pleasant... Painful and a lot of blood; so yes I did have a bleed out once it started... Wasn't like a normal period... I had lots of cramps which in hindsight were very much what I assume contractions would be like.... That day yes I was rendered useless.... But I then bled for a couple of weeks, mainly spotting and was business as usual.

If I could go back I would have asked for the medication to kick start the miscarriage.

Just again big big hugs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lilyloubelle For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (16-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hard thing is everyone is different... There is no telling when it will start, for me it was once the pregnancy hormone got super super low.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lilyloubelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyloubelle View Post
    Oh sunny girl I'm so sorry to hear. I've had similiar, my bloods were rising normally, dating scan at 9 weeks revealed a 7 week empty sac. They diagnosed straight away as the sac was big enough that there should have been something in there. I had no warning before my SCan that anything was up, though at 6 weeks I had some minor spotting (no cramps or anything just minor spotting). I waited to miscarry naturally rather than opt for medication or a d&c. I didn't start bleeding till 12 weeks on the dot, that day I passed the sac and a lot of blood. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it wasn't pleasant... Painful and a lot of blood; so yes I did have a bleed out once it started... Wasn't like a normal period... I had lots of cramps which in hindsight were very much what I assume contractions would be like.... That day yes I was rendered useless.... But I then bled for a couple of weeks, mainly spotting and was business as usual.

If I could go back I would have asked for the medication to kick start the miscarriage.

Just again big big hugs
    I'm so sorry for your loss. A close friend of mine had a MC at 10 wks and said the same, she wished she hadn't waited to MC naturally. Although I'm normally a 'natural' type person, I think this is one instance where I'm happy to let technology and modern medicine help nature along. Such an awful thing to have to go through, and wait for.
    I have 2 weeks off work - which is kind of good considering, but also this is not how I envisaged spending my annual leave (which is basically my only holiday in over 12 months).
    This might be a strange question - but I've read you're not supposed to use tampons when you have a MC. Is this true? And if so, why? I don't want to be unable to swim all summer... sorry that seems like such a stupid, trivial thing to be thinking right now, but my mind is racing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyloubelle View Post
    The hard thing is everyone is different... There is no telling when it will start, for me it was once the pregnancy hormone got super super low.
    Yes it def seems that way. I will see what my bloods are doing this week. If they haven't risen or are falling I'll at least know for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss. A close friend of mine had a MC at 10 wks and said the same, she wished she hadn't waited to MC naturally. Although I'm normally a 'natural' type person, I think this is one instance where I'm happy to let technology and modern medicine help nature along. Such an awful thing to have to go through, and wait for.
    I have 2 weeks off work - which is kind of good considering, but also this is not how I envisaged spending my annual leave (which is basically my only holiday in over 12 months).
    This might be a strange question - but I've read you're not supposed to use tampons when you have a MC. Is this true? And if so, why? I don't want to be unable to swim all summer... sorry that seems like such a stupid, trivial thing to be thinking right now, but my mind is racing...
    I still wouldn't opt for the d&c if I didn't have to, didn't like possible implications. Though understand sometimes it's medically necessary... Was just so hard waiting for the inevitable.

No not supposed to use tampons, it's because your cervix is open more than it would be for just a period and there is higher chances of infection.
    Last edited by lilyloubelle; 16-12-2014 at 14:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @lilyloubelle its good to know that. Gosh I hope I don't bleed for weeks, that would totally ruin my summer holiday (even more so that its already ruined!).
    I actually am starting to bleed this afternoon, not heavy yet, but undeniable bleeding (as apposed to the past 3 weeks of spotting!). I also feel very 'periody' in my lower abdomen area, so this well could be the start of it. I do hope so. Not that I didn't want this pregnancy to succeed, but because I think I knew this was not going to end well and the sooner its over the better. Waiting sucks, and I've never ever been good at it!
    Think I might go stock up on some maternity pads as I have nothing but a few flimsy ultrathins in the cupboard...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Sorry for your loss.
    I had a hb and a baby the size of 6 w when I was supposed to be 8w
    I naturally mc at the 9 w mark. So 3 weeks after baby stopped growing but when the hb stopped
    I have no experience with empty sacs and how many weeks along that would equilvilant to.
    Please don't use tampons.
    If you had a sac and was at least 6w gestation then I would say the blood loss may be the similar to mine
    Medium period loss for a week
    3 days of heavy pouring into toilet
    The a week of brown
    I had no pain, but waves of mild contractions
    When the blood turns red, then it's most likely about to start.
    I would say to, maybe wait until Thursday, if it's red then, then maybe think of d&c

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Sorry for your loss.
    I had a hb and a baby the size of 6 w when I was supposed to be 8w
    I naturally mc at the 9 w mark. So 3 weeks after baby stopped growing but when the hb stopped
    I have no experience with empty sacs and how many weeks along that would equilvilant to.
    Please don't use tampons.
    If you had a sac and was at least 6w gestation then I would say the blood loss may be the similar to mine
    Medium period loss for a week
    3 days of heavy pouring into toilet
    The a week of brown
    I had no pain, but waves of mild contractions
    When the blood turns red, then it's most likely about to start.
    I would say to, maybe wait until Thursday, if it's red then, then maybe think of d&c
    Thanks for this. It does sound like I've got a horrid week ahead of me. I did start bleeding this afternoon, its not super heavy yet, but definitely bleeding now not spotting. And feeling crampy. Its like I've wished it to start and it did...
    I will see how the next few days pan out. I have a scan scheduled Friday but not sure if its worth keeping that appointment.
    Is there anything special I should do? Tell my GP what's happening? Do I need to go to hospital if the bleeding gets really bad (ie at what point, if any, do I seek medical advice?)? My GP didn't really tell me what to do if I start bleeding, despite telling me I'd probably miscarry...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds very similar to what happened with my miscarriage. I had some spotting for about a week before my scan - should have been 8 weeks but instead showed an empty sack. Officially the report said I was too early but like you it had been over 4 weeks since my bfp so I knew there was no way it was just too early. By the afternoon I had heavier red blood and that evening I had heavy cramps. I took some nurofen and curled in a ball with a wheat pack and eventually got some sleep. The next day I had bleeding and in the evening more cramping and somewhere in there I passed the sack. I think I had bleeding for only about a week. My bloods took a few weeks to finally go down though, from 110-5 was over two weeks.

I hope that this is the start and you can get through this as low trauma as possible.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post: