+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Used items or items to buy before TTC

Hi all,

DH & I have decided to start purchasing things for a sort of baby "glory box". We will start TTC in the next 3-6 months and we recognise that once bub comes the weekly budget will dramatically change especially during maternity leave.

Anyway, my question is what items would you recommend we start purchasing? I will be looking out for items on sale, but also lightly used items on eBay and Gumtree nearby. So what items can I buy from the shops that can keep, or what items are okay to buy used? I will be leaving the nursery furniture, pram, and car seat to be purchased during pregnancy. For example I am looking at a used portacot or even a used bassinet? TIA J

Thanks
    Reviews
    We thought about doing the same before we were TTC. Unfortunately I can't offer much advise about what you can get beforehand..
    Perhaps you could consider putting some money away each week or month and get what you need when you're expecting? That's what we are doing at the moment.
    Hope you have a great Christmas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Whilst it is temping to start to buy things now, I agree with pp. Best to put money away in a separate account or similar and buy up when you are expecting. There is never any shortage of second hand furniture around and consumables are always on sale at one time or another. And you will amazed at how much of your stuff will be given as gifts. I say save your penny's for now and just keep your eye on prices to start to get a feeling for good buys. Good luck and all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Maybe instead of purchasing items put money aside in a "baby" account or buy gift vouchers to the stores. Unless you have lots of storage space

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep put money into a separate account. Annoyingly, most baby and children's clothes are not unisex so it's a huge gamble to buy before hand. You will begin to try in 3 -6 months but it's hard to say when you will fall. You may end up with a winter baby or summer. Buying heaps of nappies may be no good as you might have a big baby that outgrows sizes super fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I would put my effort into crocheting a lovely blanket for the babies bed. I would also maybe buy large size mcn if you want to go that route while on sale and also kids toys.

Apart from that i would just save until bubs is here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the other ladies.
    I'd just set the money aside.
    Not to be a dippydowner first thing on Christmas morning but a friend of mine went and bought EVERYTHING the second she found out she was pregnant.
    At her 12 w scan her bub had passed away and she had to live with all this baby stuff in the flat until she fell pregnant again.
    She was beside herself.
    I'd set the money aside and start shopping a bit further down the track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All these suggestions are great. We are also using a separate bank account. It is nice to know it is put away each week and easy to keep track off away from money allocated to other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby items are always on gumtree and eBay and Facebook , so i would personally wait till you were 12 weeks before purchasing. I know it's exciting buying things now though!

We bought dd hardly any clothes or toys as she was showered with gifts from the minute she was conceived! She has so much, everyone loves buying newborn things.