+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Struggling tonight

I just don't know what to do about 4.5mo DS. I feel completely useless and confused and upset. I made the difficult decision to wean him on to formula due to poor weight gain and CMPI, which I'm doing slowly. After some initial good signs after introducing formula comps and eliminating milk protein from my diet, he's now gone back to mucousy poo, nasty nappy rash (this is a new thing), small weight gains and is now barely sleeping during the day. He's pretty good at night usually but last night and tonight it has taken ages to get him to sleep and stay asleep. I'm really worried that the formula (AllerPro) isn't working for him and is causing more problems. I'm now freaking out and hating myself for not persevering with breastfeeding.

WTF do I do?? I doubt I'll be able to see his paed until well into the new year. My supply has always been fragile and when BFing I need to feed at least every 2hrs just to get a small weight gain on him. I've probably destroyed my supply now that we've started the weaning process. I am stressing about his weight, his poo, his sleep... WTF do I do??

I'm sick with a head cold and sinus pain and DD got sent home from daycare with runny poo and is now all stuffy as well - obviously these things are not helping my coping ability right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry to hear you are having a tough time, it would be so much easier if newborns/ babies could just tell us what is wrong. Do you think it could be something completely unrelated to the milk, like teething or a tummy bug (you said your dd has runny poo too)? I would keep doing what you're doing for a couple more days and maybe give your ds some panadol/nurofen during the day/night and see if that helps.

I really hope things start improving for you soon.xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Cue I was going to suggest the same as PP that it might be unrelated and due to the sickness circulating in the house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He's not stuffy and these things have been progressively getting worse over the last week or two. It seems to coincide with the gradual increase in formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you ask your paed for samples of Pepti jnr? That would prob be the next step. They might be able to give you some samples and if it helps a script to get you through until they can see your DS in the new year? Allerpro is extensively hydrolysed but not as broken down as the prescription formulas. GP can only prescribe pepti/neocate/elecare if it is an ongoing script and the child is under a gastro/immunologist/paed (that is my understanding anyway). Good luck OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Are you able to trial another formula? I'm not familiar with Allerpro. Can a GP prescribe Neocate? (Sorry I may be ignorant here, I'm not too sure how different Allerpro and Neocate are.)

In the meantime - do you still have milk - are you able to offer breastfeeds to get through the night?
    I'm still breastfeeding at night and a couple of times during the day - he gets two full formula feeds per day or one FF and a BF+comp. The rest is still breast at the moment.

AllerPro is available at chemists without a script, Neocate is prescription and has to be prescribed by a paediatric gastroenterologist (or by a paed consulting with a paed gastro). DD was on Neocate, I was hoping to avoid it this time now that it's so hard to get.

Feeling very defeated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (15-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice but sending hugs your way cue x hope things get better, and I'm sure you're a great and loving mummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's not feeding much today, only taking small amounts. Only 1 40min sleep so far today. I am so tired and sick today. DH stayed home, I would have really struggled on my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you need to switch to Neocate or Elecare. A general paed can prescribe it initially to see if it's making a difference, then refer you on to a paed GI. Worth the hassle for a happy, settled bub IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I saw the GP today for my DD and he asked me to make an appt for DS tomorrow so they can review him and possibly try to get him into see a paed ASAP. I think his usual paed is away.