Page 43 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    I'll be damned if I can work out how to wean dd. It hurts my head. 75% of me thinks it would be a good idea to go away and leave her and the boys with mum for 2 nights and come back and say "no boob!". It's how I weaned the boys and it was easy and successful.
    But I definitely can't ask mum to do that for me. So.. We just keep the status quo? I know the older she gets the more she understands and so it will gradually get easier.. But I'm ready to end now. I'm ready to reclaim my body, to hopefully have her start sleeping through, ready to sleep in my own bed. Basically I'm ready to move on from being a mother with a young baby to being a mother with young children.
    I just. Can't. Work. Out. How.
    Ask your mum! Go away with your DF for a night or 2. Come back and voila!
    And if not, you had a couple of nights away!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nomsie I feel your pain about weaning was coming on here to have vent about how difficult it is! DS2 is 19 months (similar to your DD from memory) and I started to try and wean him yesterday. This isn't our first attempt. I've been pregnant and breast feeding for 4.5 years-feed DS1 while I was preg with DS2 and I'm done! I'm working two nifty shifts over the weekend so hoping that will help. If your mum can have your boys and DD I say go for it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll be damned if I can work out how to wean dd. It hurts my head. 75% of me thinks it would be a good idea to go away and leave her and the boys with mum for 2 nights and come back and say "no boob!". It's how I weaned the boys and it was easy and successful.
    But I definitely can't ask mum to do that for me. So.. We just keep the status quo? I know the older she gets the more she understands and so it will gradually get easier.. But I'm ready to end now. I'm ready to reclaim my body, to hopefully have her start sleeping through, ready to sleep in my own bed. Basically I'm ready to move on from being a mother with a young baby to being a mother with young children.
    I just. Can't. Work. Out. How.
    Why can't you ask your mum that?

Have you tried anything yet?

ETA: My friend is worked with the "don't offer but don't refuse" method. She never offered him (2) a bf, but if he asked she would't say no.
    After 2 weeks of that, she dropped the morning feed- she would get up before him and shower/dress and have his breakfast ready. As there was an alternative readily available he usually took it. If he refused and asked for a bf, she would say, "Oh but your breakfast is here and mummy is dressed and ready to go out now. I'm just waiting for you." then she would take him out for even 15 minutes. Anything to distract him from the bf. After a few days he stopped asking for it.
    She's working on dropping the afternoon one now, in pretty much the same manner- starting back at "don't offer but don't refuse" and will then distract.
    Last edited by DT75; 29-01-2015 at 20:33.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-01-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I don't want to ask mum because she already does a lot for me. I don't want to push it.

A big part of the problem is that dd still feeds a lot overnight. As in, around midnight I get in bed with her and god knows how long and how often she feeds. I certainly don't. But it's a lot.

Have I tried? Yes. Several times. Starting when she was 15 months. She is nearly 18 months now. As I type this I'm heading into her room to feed her again- the third time since she was put to bed because its effective in ensuring she goes straight back to sleep. I have tried no overnight feeds but she is so determined and she screams. A lot. Loudly. And wakes everyone up. It's not cool when her brothers have to go to school.
    I've tried don't offer don't refuse. To make up for me not offering, she started asking for more. I've tried distraction. Sometimes it works. Every other time it results in meltdown. I've tried offering alternative. Water. Water in a pretty cup. Water in a big girl cup. Milk. Warned milk. Hot milk. I even let her try some milo.
    Like I said- she is stubborn and knows what she wants.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't want to ask mum because she already does a lot for me. I don't want to push it.

A big part of the problem is that dd still feeds a lot overnight. As in, around midnight I get in bed with her and god knows how long and how often she feeds. I certainly don't. But it's a lot.

Have I tried? Yes. Several times. Starting when she was 15 months. She is nearly 18 months now. As I type this I'm heading into her room to feed her again- the third time since she was put to bed because its effective in ensuring she goes straight back to sleep. I have tried no overnight feeds but she is so determined and she screams. A lot. Loudly. And wakes everyone up. It's not cool when her brothers have to go to school.
    I've tried don't offer don't refuse. To make up for me not offering, she started asking for more. I've tried distraction. Sometimes it works. Every other time it results in meltdown. I've tried offering alternative. Water. Water in a pretty cup. Water in a big girl cup. Milk. Warned milk. Hot milk. I even let her try some milo.
    I realise I sounded quite blasé with the whole "just ask your mum" thing.
    I didn't mean to be. It would be nice if it was as simple as "voila!"
    But I reckon if you said "mum I'm struggling. I've tried x y z and none of it's working can you help" she would. It sounds like quite a mumsy thing to do. And the sort of thing a mum would do for her daughter and a nan would do for her granddaughter.
    I love the fact that you describe your daughter as determined! She will grow up to be amazing x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Nomsie, I am going through the same. DS2 is so stubborn. He is pretty good during the day but overnight he wakes up and comes into my bed, between that time and when we get up he'll be on and off and screams if we try to put him back to his bed without bf. He has just turned 2.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no chocolate in the house... It's been another one of those days and I need chocolate but I decided not to buy any "if we don't buy it we can't have it" I said. What was I thinking because not I don't really like past me very much.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigZ For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
    There is no chocolate in the house... It's been another one of those days and I need chocolate but I decided not to buy any "if we don't buy it we can't have it" I said. What was I thinking because not I don't really like past me very much.
    Oops didn't mean to thank. I was going to suggest I have some for you. Coles had chocolate on special so I have 2 blocks of top deck in the cupboard. I'm happy to have a row on your behalf?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

amyd  (30-01-2015),bigZ  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
    This is me. Exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm racking my brains to think how I weaned DD3, I know exactly the place your in and my DD was just as determined to keep her booby (all night especially) as yours. She is a couple months older than your DD (May '13 baby) and self weaned (when I stopped offering) at 18 months. The only thing that changed at that time was I started working a couple of 3-5 hour shifts a week, usually over bedtime. But your DF does shift work so being out of the house at this time of night probably wouldn't work for your family would it? I was so desperate that I considered ways to suppress my milk just so that DD wouldn't want boob anymore, but I don't think I was making that much anyway so I don't think she would have really cared lol.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (30-01-2015)