+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjane12 View Post
    Obviously I am very strange I thought going on mat leave and keeping my daughter home with me for the 6 months was the normal thing to do . I actually never even thought of keeping her in care . Yes it was very hard work a newborn and a 2 year old very very hard work lol but everyone will do what they think is right for them sorry if I offended anyone .
    I think you're very lucky to have the option of doing this and getting your eldest back into care when you needed. Where I am you need to put your name down on waiting lists as soon as you pee on a stick.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Cue  (19-02-2015),KitiK  (18-02-2015),MrsSS  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber4304 View Post
    It seems that you have a very narrow minded view of this. Perhaps you might change your mind if you actually have children as in my experience, it does change your view of things. Thanks god the workers at my day care do not have this attitude.
    I do have children and I had my daughter stay home with me when I went on 6 months mat leave as I assumed that was the only thing to do as I wasn't working so why did she need to be in care. It was hard work but I loved having her home with me to bond with her brother and get one on one time when he would have his day naps . I fully understand parents needing a break as it is hard but just wandered why keep a child in 2 or 3 days when u are not working ? I couldn't wait to go on mat leave so I could be home with my children sorry if that makes me such a narrow minded person .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilicious View Post
    I think you're very lucky to have the option of doing this and getting your eldest back into care when you needed. Where I am you need to put your name down on waiting lists as soon as you pee on a stick.
    maybe centres need to consider giving children like a mat leave also so they only give your child's spot to someone on a mat leave terms just like we do when we take mat leave. I see this seems to big a really big issue and yes I was very lucky I had no problem getting my daughter back into care . I think this issue really needs looking at as it is stopping parents from having this time at home with their children which is a Shame .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Reducing days whilst on maternity leave

I do have children and I had my daughter stay home with me when I went on 6 months mat leave as I assumed that was the only thing to do as I wasn't working so why did she need to be in care. It was hard work but I loved having her home with me to bond with her brother and get one on one time when he would have his day naps . I fully understand parents needing a break as it is hard but just wandered why keep a child in 2 or 3 days when u are not working ? I couldn't wait to go on mat leave so I could be home with my children sorry if that makes me such a narrow minded person .
    You having your child at home isn't why you are perceived as narrow minded. Your comments about home being the best place for a child etc is probably what is making people see you that way. You sounded quite judgy towards parents that keep their child in care.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (19-02-2015),KitiK  (18-02-2015),Molros  (18-02-2015),smallpotatoes  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think being at home with mum will be disruptive to the child I'm not sure where you are getting that from . Up to the age of 3 the best place is home and once they turn 3 maybe 1 day of 3 year old kinder is good followed by 4 year old kinder which is 3 days a week. I see so many kids doing 10 hr days and mum or dad are not even working it is very sad .
    Reckon I'll be the judge of where the best place for my child is up to the age of 3. Thanks.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (19-02-2015),KitiK  (18-02-2015),Molros  (18-02-2015),MrsSS  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    You having your child at home isn't why you are perceived as narrow minded. Your comments about home being the best place for a child etc is probably what is making people see you that way. You sounded quite judgy towards parents that keep their child in care.
    i didn't mean to be judgy i just wanted to see it from other parents point of view and is great to see the responses. I still am concerned with the statement that being at home is not best as if being at childcare is better than being at home with mum and dad etc.... Then I think something is really wrong. Childcare is a wonderfull service that we are lucky to have access to but it is not better than being at home with family and if childcare workers believe the care they provide is better than what parents do well that is being judgy I think .

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 3 and loves "school" as we call it. I've been working for the past year and she has just started 3days instead of 2. When I have our next child in a few days we will keep her in 3 days unless she becomes unhappy.

As pp's have said, I have to keep her in as I will need the spot next year and it will make it easier to get our second daughter in too. She also loves her friends and looks forward to seeing them.

My dd loves kindy and gets to do Japanese, Tennis, Soccer, Dance, Sports lessons etc and would be so disappointed not to be able to do them. She also gets to do the usual items at daycare with art and learning that I can't always do with her, even though I try.

I think you do what you have to and make the decisions that is right for your family. Some kids thrive in daycare and need to be social, some don't.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Reckon I'll be the judge of where the best place for my child is up to the age of 3. Thanks.
    Exactly this.

I have done both, had my child in care while I work and had my child home with me while I am not working. Personally I don't feel comfortable with or the need to have my child in daycare if I am not working nor do I feel the need to keep my child in daycare when he doesn't need to be there due to the risk of losing his spot and there is only 1 daycare in the town we live so there's a huge risk it would happen. But that's just me and a risk I have taken more than once.

My children have thrived at daycare and they have thrived whilst at home with me. Whatever works at the time. I don't believe one is necessarily better than the other, kids adjust to the circumstances.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Obviously I am very strange I thought going on mat leave and keeping my daughter home with me for the 6 months was the normal thing to do . I actually never even thought of keeping her in care . Yes it was very hard work a newborn and a 2 year old very very hard work lol but everyone will do what they think is right for them sorry if I offended anyone .
    Not everyone has this option....you should not be so judgemental and perhaps take into consideration that not everyone is able to do what you perceive as being 'right'. Your comments have really annoyed me.....who are you to make the call on what is right or wrong for our children not knowing individual circumstances or even the options available to each person? How very narrow minded and judgemental you sound.
    Last edited by Molros; 19-02-2015 at 00:00.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (19-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    i didn't mean to be judgy i just wanted to see it from other parents point of view and is great to see the responses. I still am concerned with the statement that being at home is not best as if being at childcare is better than being at home with mum and dad etc.... Then I think something is really wrong. Childcare is a wonderfull service that we are lucky to have access to but it is not better than being at home with family and if childcare workers believe the care they provide is better than what parents do well that is being judgy I think .
    You don't sound very sorry for offending people. You might be doing a great job at home with a newborn and your older child but not everyone would.

No childcare workers here have said that their care is better than the care of a parent either. Simply that some children cope better with consistently and changing their world every 6 months might be upsetting for them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Molros  (19-02-2015)