+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think being at home with mum will be disruptive to the child I'm not sure where you are getting that from . Up to the age of 3 the best place is home and once they turn 3 maybe 1 day of 3 year old kinder is good followed by 4 year old kinder which is 3 days a week. I see so many kids doing 10 hr days and mum or dad are not even working it is very sad .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    With just one day of daycare/kinder kids don't have the chance to get used to a routine. So if a kid has trouble settling in they relive that trauma each week as opposed to getting used to it. Also with just one day a week it's really hard for that kid to develop any meaningful relationships with the other kids - they are often on the outer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Reducing days whilst on maternity leave

Quote Originally Posted by bobjane12 View Post
    . Up to the age of 3 the best place is home
    Another narrow comment. I can think of another 5 reasons in 15 seconds why daycare for a child under 3 may be best for them
    Last edited by VicPark; 18-02-2015 at 06:24.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (18-02-2015),Mamasupial  (18-02-2015),smallpotatoes  (18-02-2015),TheGooch  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bobjane12, that's your opinion. As an Early Childhood Educator myself, I'd have to disagree. There are many benefits of attending child care and I am a little confused as to how you can work in the industry and hold your view that children aged 0-3 years are 'best' at home. Families use Child Care for different reasons as you know, and I don't think it's your place to judge.

In regards to the OP, I believe children thrive on continuity and routine, it gives them a sense of control in this crazy world. I think it's especially important during transitions such as welcoming a new baby into their life. Assuming your child has already established relationships within the service, they should be able to cope with just one day a week if that's what you prefer. I usually suggest 2days a week to new enrolments.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (18-02-2015),Letsdothis  (19-02-2015),smallpotatoes  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH works away 4 weekes on 4 weeks off. I have a 6yo dd and a 2yo dd and am pg with #3. I am now on leave and reduced dd2s days from full time to 1 day per week (affordability now I am not working). I don't give a rats what others think or what thier reasons for using child care are (none of my business really - whatever works for the mummies and dadsies out there I say) but I can tell you its pretty hard to get your legs waxed, nails done, doctors appt for yourself, shopping and or bonding with a new baby with a toddler around 24/7 - not to mention housework and meal prep. My dd2 LOVES her day at daycare and can say all the carers names and looks forward to being able to do different activities on those days. 1 day hasnt been harder than full time or 2 days for her, but she is a very social adaptable little creature with practically no signs of separation anxiety. It would have been different with dd1 as she is a totally different creature. I think passing judgement about what is best for other peoples children/situations @bobjane12 is extremely unhelpful, people do the best they can with the resources available to them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I don't think being at home with mum will be disruptive to the child I'm not sure where you are getting that from . Up to the age of 3 the best place is home and once they turn 3 maybe 1 day of 3 year old kinder is good followed by 4 year old kinder which is 3 days a week. I see so many kids doing 10 hr days and mum or dad are not even working it is very sad .
    Any change to a child's routine can be upsetting for them and if you pull your child out, you might not get a spot again for kindergarten. Just because someone is on leave doesn't mean they have to leave their kid in care for 10hours.

And what about the new Bub? Breast feeding takes a long time to establish and the elder child is used to undivided attention.

I completely agree with VicPark's comments.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (18-02-2015),MrsSS  (18-02-2015),smallpotatoes  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bobjane I left my eldest 2 in daycare 1 day a week because it's easier to increase their days at the end of mat leave than have to wait to move to the top of the waiting list. As it is I've had to return to work 6 months early because I couldn't be guaranteed daycare in the middle of the year when I wanted to go back to work but we can't afford for me to stay off till next feb when all the room changes mean it's easiest to get places.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Another narrow comment. I can think of another 5 reasons in 15 seconds why daycare for a child under 3 may be best for them
    I agree!

Up to the age of 3 the best place for a child is home.. says you. That is your opinion but it's not to say it's right.

I only utilized daycare when I was working. While I was a SAHM my kids were home with me. I also see many in daycare fulltime when a parent doesn't work, I agree it's sad and I think it's wrong and frustrating when there are working mothers who are waiting for a place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we are trying to concieve our second bub and i no for a fact when i take maternity leave my first born will still go to care he currently goes 3 days while im work but will drop it to 2 days. i no he would b deverstated if i took him out completly he loves his day care and nows exactly which days he goes n only being 2. he comes in n wakes me n puts his lunch box up on the bed and gets his clothes and once hes changed grabs his bag n knocks on the door to leave. he is super active.
    i dont see how it suvh a horrible thing to do that these couple ppl r saying when my boy n so many other kids love it.
    i dont have any1 besides my partner here and my sons teachers r basically like family teaching him things that i carnt and doin extra like my family would if they were here he needs that difference of care besides me n my partner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I have actually been wondering a similar thing I actually work in childcare and it puzzles me why parents keep their say 2and a half year old in childcare when they are home with a new baby on mat leave surely not working would mean you can spend lots of time with your child I would and have made the most if mat leave and also didn't really want all the nasty child care germs coming home to my new baby . I think at 4 yes they need to be doing kindy but younger than that and being home is the best thing . Maybe a half day once a week if the mother doesn't have any family support as we all need a break .ifeel guilty if I leave my children at childcare and I'm not working it just doesn't seem right I have done it once or twice when I have had doc appointments but have picked them up as soon as I could maybe I'm just strange but if I didn't have to work I wouldn't I love being with my kids even when they do drive me insane .
    Yeah... if I pulled my kids out I'd never get them back in. They love childcare, they learn lots and I love having that one on one time with the bub.